PDA

View Full Version : Historic airliner catches fire at airshow

mauld
10th May 2014, 07:14
Fire Breathing Dragon - YouTube

Dr Jekyll
10th May 2014, 08:44
That's G AIYR at Duxford a couple of years ago isn't it?

mauld
10th May 2014, 10:59
Yes it is, the ground crew are really on the ball tackling the fire. I think the Dragon Rapide is prone to this type of fire at start-up when the engine back fires.

India Four Two
10th May 2014, 11:14
I've just looked up the AAIB report and I see it was due to over-priming.

Having been for a ride in a Dragon Rapide three years ago in NZ and watching the fuel dripping out of a pipe at the bottom of the cowling after priming, that was the first thing I thought of.

What surprises me is that the fire is well established when the video starts and it's another 20 seconds before someone arrives with an extinguisher.

During engine start on my flight, the ground crewman was standing right next to the fire-extinguisher, while watching each startup.

How is G-AIYR now? Has she been rebuilt? I have a soft spot for Rapides, since I went for my first flight in one. My NZ trip was a nostalgia charter for my family and me. A bit more expensive than the £1-2s-6d it cost my Dad to send his three kids for a flight!

Phileas Fogg
10th May 2014, 11:37
it's another 20 seconds before someone arrives with an extinguisher.

That was a crash wagon that arrived with firemen and extinguishers and if 20 seconds was their response time then I'd say that was pretty damn good!

joy ride
10th May 2014, 12:27
I thought it was Duxford, the BOAC Super VC 10 and Monarch Britannia confirmed it.

Not a nice thing to see, I love seeing and hearing the CW Rapides flying over my London workshop at weekends.

VictorGolf
10th May 2014, 14:39
Yankee Romeo has been rebuilt and is available for your delectation at Duxford most days of the week. Just out of interest the Classic Wings crew had the fire out before the "regulars" arrived which was pretty good going.

India Four Two
10th May 2014, 15:11
VG,

That's good to hear. Did she need a new wing or just a rebuild of the existing one? Duxford is on my planned itinerary for my next UK visit.

PF,

No, my point was that for an aircraft that is prone to catching fire during engine starts AND that the fire was well established at the start of the video, it was quite a long time before the arrival of the large CO2 extinguisher.

On viewing the video again, I noticed that the ground crewman behind the wing was applying a small extinguisher, at some personal risk, but that was clearly not up to the task.

However, kudos to all concerned, particularly the captain, who obviously expedited the evacuation and appears to be the last person out, just as the CO2 is applied. I note that they had the steps still in place, which would have been a significant aid in completing the evacuation safely.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th May 2014, 18:25
Over priming? If the dH Gipsy Six engines are anything like the Gipsy Major in our Chippy, one operates the priming pump until fuel flows from the inlet manifold drain (a pipe from the rear end of the manifold exiting at the back of the cowling on the firewall) before 'sucking in' (after the fuel stops dribbling out the drain), then go for start.

How can one 'over prime'? Did they in fact go for a start while fuel was still draining and a backfire ignited it?

VictorGolf
11th May 2014, 15:36
A new wing wasn't required and our chief engineer soon had the wing re-covered. There was surprisingly little damage to the wooden wing structure which was a relief all round. As to the cause, there are several thoughts but the fact that it was a very warm day and IYR had already made several flights meant that over-priming a very hot engine may well have been a consideration.

joy ride
11th May 2014, 17:15
Glad to hear the structure was not damaged and it was soon repaired. For me a weekend is incomplete without a Dragon/Rapide flying over!

India Four Two
11th May 2014, 17:30
There was surprisingly little damage to the wooden wing structure which was a relief all round.

That was good news. It certainly looked like most of the flames were coming from the doped fabric.

evansb
12th May 2014, 05:21
Yeah, good thing the wing was only burnt. Sarcasm does not travel well.