PDA

View Full Version : The Unfortunate death of Ali Awick

AsiaMiles
10th May 2014, 04:31
Unfortunately Ali Awick was killed in a traffic accident in Dubai yesterday.

One of the truly decent men in this world and will be sadly missed.

Steve the Pirate
10th May 2014, 04:51
As you say, AsiaMiles, he truly was a decent man - generous, funny and a great pilot to boot. What a tragic loss.

STP

turnandburn
10th May 2014, 05:08
My thoughts go out to his family, I flew with him many times and enjoyed his company.

You will be missed by many.

monster330
10th May 2014, 05:10
Fare well Ali.

Peace

Harbour Dweller
10th May 2014, 05:30
Rest easy my friend.

We had some great trips together and I will always be grateful for the wealth of knowledge you passed on.

Thoughts go out to this wonderful man's family.

RIP

pasa001
10th May 2014, 05:56
RIP my good friend, you will be greatly missed !

:(:{

LongTimeInCX
10th May 2014, 06:10
A great loss to aviation and his family.
We chatted at length about his reasons to move, I had the greatest respect for him as he had the courage of his convictions, and I was glad he was doing what made him happy.
A true gentleman who will be missed by many.

Flying Mechanic
10th May 2014, 06:16
Very sad news, RIP Ali.

Pucka
10th May 2014, 06:19
What tragic news..he was a delight to fly with and watching him grow through the system at CX, his move to Dubai was a loss to the bus fleet as much as it was a loss to CX..his motives to move were totally unselfish and that was the marque of the man...generous and committed to the cause of his family. You will be missed mon ami... Inshallah....

crwkunt roll
10th May 2014, 06:53
Farewell Ali, R.I.P

CokeZero
10th May 2014, 09:58
Ali was quite a character, always a smile on his face with a quick quip. And don't mention the laugh.... It was always fun to fly with him

It was sad to lose him to the Middle East but now it is sadder still.

My regards to his family and other friends. Safe travels

Best Rate
10th May 2014, 13:02
Rode in Ali's WRX with him in HK.

Another genuine fella leaves the world we know..

Safe travels and RIP AA,

Yep, that infectious smile.......

BR

myekppa
10th May 2014, 14:57
I didn't know Ali well, other than doing some of his training when he first came to the sandbox.

But I do know that Ali made a very gutsy move in leaving Cathay for Emirates in order to put his families needs before his own. The details are not our business but it's unselfish acts such as this that earned him the respect he held in Cathay, and no doubt amongst his peers in Emirates.

He certainly has mine.

flying willy
10th May 2014, 16:20
I only flew 3 flights with him, but what a great pilot and a friendly and funny person. He will be missed in the sandbox.

All the best to his family.

SMOC
10th May 2014, 17:05
I enjoyed the aeros my friend, RIP.

fwong007
10th May 2014, 18:59
One fine gentleman and absolute respect for giving up what he had for his family. R.I.P my friend, enjoy flying with your new wings.

local
10th May 2014, 22:55
Sincere, friendly, and witty guy.
Rest in peace Ali.

Frogman1484
11th May 2014, 00:18
Really saddened by the news. Ali was a fantastic guy. This is a great loss to all of us. RIP my friend you will be missed.

Kiwiscanfly
11th May 2014, 00:40
Ali was one of my very best friends.

Generous of spirit and genuinely warm hearted. A true delight to be around, as he always had a positive spin on the day to day challenges we all face. Quick witted, and never shy. Always a good listener and offered balanced thoughtful advice when called upon.

Ali's dedication and selfless commitment to his family is an example we can all learn from.

I knew Ali in CX, but can say my friendship with Ali grew stronger when he moved to EK. It's been a wonderful privilege to share good times and laughter with Ali, and his Dubai Gang will miss him so very much.

Rest in Peace my friend.

broadband circuit
11th May 2014, 04:49
A real shock.

Sad news for his family.

Hellenic aviator
11th May 2014, 05:04
Rest In Peace, Ali.

Condolences to his Family for their great loss.

An absolute gentleman that was a loss for CX and a great gain for EK.

Numero Crunchero
11th May 2014, 11:43
What can I say. A man of great character - great humour - great professionalism. Incredibly giving - a great co worker in the CRM department of the late 90s early noughties.

A man that believed family comes first and acted accordingly - without complaint, without whinging. Just got on with life.

He introduced me to the 'hubbly bubbly' - what more needs to be said?

Ali, I will miss you my friend!

The Slayer
12th May 2014, 02:58
"The Awick Family would like to update everyone on details regarding the funeral for their beloved son Ali Awick. Funeral will be held on Wednesday the 14th of May 2014. For any details on location please inbox his sister Rema Awick https://www.facebook.com/remaawick. The Awick Family would like to thank everyone for all their kind wishes, prayers and support during this devastating time. Please continue to send him your love and prayers for this final journey."

Old King Coal
19th May 2014, 17:45
As a fellow motorcycle rider (here in Dubai / R1200GSA), and likewise an also long serving member of the aviation fraternity, my most sincere condolences to all that new him... it does indeed feel very much like loosing 'one of our own'.

For those whom wonder why we do it (i.e. ride motorcycles) here are some random quotes on the subject and one would hazard that Ali was a chap whom would heartily concur with the sentiments therein:
It’s a bombardment of the senses; everything goes into slow motion.
It’s passion. This is the thing that makes me happy.
It’s you and your motorcycle; that’s it!
It's just the best feeling in the world.
It's a love affair like no other.
It’s like a seed, and if you ever put the water on it, and you feel the sensation, it becomes part of your life. It gets in your blood.
It’s a ship of the soul. It’s a release. It’s getting out of time, to a place where time has no more power upon you.
It’s my release; It’s my medicine in this crazy world.
There’s a freedom about it.
Some people have it inside; Once you try it, if you like it, you’ll never leave it, Once the seed for motorcycling has sprouted, it doesn’t die until the day you take your last breath.
The first time I rode a motorcycle I just felt like I could do anything.
I was so excited to know that I was going to ride my new motorcycle the next day. And I still feel that today, and every day.
I think it’s like trying to learn to play a violin. At the start it’s just hideous and then, all of a sudden, it’s like “Oh my God, I know how to ride this thing!”
Motorcycles have put me in touch with wonderful people and as a result of that I have an elevated idea of how good everybody is in the world.
A motorcycle is beyond transportation, it’s something else, it connects you with life.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Motorcycling is freedom; it’s energy, it’s expression, it’s fear, it’s controlling that fear, it’s adrenalin, and you're going to experience all those things throughout just one day of being on a motorcycle.
We humans tend to put all our lives into boxes, and the older you get the more boxes you have, and motorcycles tend to get you out of those boxes, because you’re exposed, you’re connected, you feel alive.
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
I can’t describe the wonderful feeling of being on that machine.
I ride because there is nothing like it in the world, and I could never imagine not doing it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!"
~Hunter S. Thompson

With all of this in mind, some of his fellow companion riders have made a video tribute to Ali.
In Memory of Ali Awick on Vimeo

Pucka
20th May 2014, 03:55
Well done guys.. Even Ali would have loved the pipes!!!