View Full Version : Got The Blue Book Today!

Gearupandorrf
21st May 2002, 01:16
:) Hi guys- just wanted to share my happy news that I received my JAR CPL/ IR in the mail today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the hardest bit- relocate to the UK and try to etch out some hours and get a job :( .

May I just pass on the encouragement to all the wannabees out there who haven't started/ are curently training that even though those ATPL exams and Multi IR look insurmountable at the time-
IT CAN BE DONE!!:).

Cheers all, Gearupandorrf.

Lil'KiwiPaddy
21st May 2002, 03:52
Well done mate!!

Best of luck with relocating and searching for a job. I'm just starting out so Its great hearing from people who have finally done the Multi IR test, ATPLs and got the paperwork, stops me feelin stressed!!

Enjoy

All the best

LKP

monkeyboy
21st May 2002, 07:29
Excellent news, Gearupandorrf!

Congrats, cheers for the encouragement and good luck for the future hunting!

MB:)

redsnail
21st May 2002, 08:51
Goodonya Gear!
Well done!
:D

FlyingForFun
21st May 2002, 08:58
Congrats Gearup!

Out of interest, where did you do your flying? I didn't think there were any JAR-approved schools in Oz?

Well done anyway! :)

FFF
----------

G SXTY
21st May 2002, 09:18
Well done mate!

Don't forget to pack your arctic survival gear!!:D

Gearupandorrf
21st May 2002, 15:23
Just like to thank you all for your words of congaratulations.
FlyingForFun, I actually didn't do any of the JAR training here in Australia, it was done in the UK. To get the license, I trained via the modular route which basically involved 3 separate trips to the UK. The times spent here at home in Melbourne between courses basically involved working flat out to save for the next module of training.

Here's how I did it:
1: Ordered the old UK ATPL Technical books from PPSC (RIP) and studied via correspondence here in Melbourne while working part time.
2: First trip to the UK, arrived 3 weeks before the Technical exams. Had the pleasure of the Class 1 medical (initial) at Gatwick. Locked myself up in my digs for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week swotting for the techs. Sat the same PPSC Tech practice exams so many times over with a stopwatch that when the exams came around I could almost remember every question and answer on the practice paper in order. Result: first time pass in the ATPL Technical exams (average 93%, but electrics was a real stress out!).
3. A few weeks off, then into the 6 week full time Nav course at PPSC. After more late nights and Yorkie Bars than I care to remember, I got 6 out of 9. Navigation was one failed and proved to be another stress out. I found the course at PPSC to be excellent, and although it now ceases to exist, I understand that many of its lecturers have found postings elsewhere. If you manage to find a school boasting the names of people like John Standen "Walrus Man" (Met), Chris Riley (Flight Planning) etc. etc., then you know your'e on a winner. Stayed around for the next resit to hopefully bag the next three, but only picked up one (Met theory). So I still had Nav and Signals (Morse) to pick up on the last sitting. Due to work commitments, I had to return home to Australia before I could get a last shot in.
4. After doing about 60 hours P1 hour building, returned to the UK 5 months later in all apprehension about my last resit to pick up the Nav and Signals. I don't know why but for me Signals was easy to learn but hard to pass the exam. My failures in Nav I put down to exam technique and accuracy with plotting, which I had ardently worked on in my time back in Australia. With sweaty palms I walked into the Portakabin at Gatwick and thankfully picked up the last 2. I felt like my heart was going to explode during the Signals exam, all I could hear was the blood rushing through my ears!
5. Spent 7 weeks doing the 25 hour BCPL/IMC course at SFT (also RIP). Passed the GFT first time but went a couple of hours over. This got really interesting as the BCPL could not be issued after 30/6/00 and for me it came right down to the wire. My GFT was on the morning of the 30/6/00! After passing and a brief drink back at SFT, the rush was then on for my course instructor (Simflight 34) to race me up to Gatwick that afternoon to hand in the license application before the Belgrano shut at 4 PM. We arrived there at 3.57 PM I remember. So I think that I could probably say that my BCPL applicaiton was the last one received. I know that other people got their applications in the following Monday and were knocked back. My deepest gratitude still goes to my instructor, Andy H**g (if you do get to read this mate, I sincerely hope that youv'e found another position). Not only was he a great instructor to me, he went way beyond the normal call of duty to get me to Gatwick that Friday. I can still smell his brakes burning!
6. Another hiatus back home to Oz to prepare for the BIG ONE (the IR). Did my initial twin endorsement here in Melbourne in a Beech Baron. Was a real handful considering that I had only flown PA28/ C172 prior to that. Much cheaper to do the twin flying out here though.
7. Did the 50 hour IR course with PAT at Bournemouth. About the most challenging but rewarding flying I have ever done. The instructors there are first rate, and if Steve York and Mark Beasley are still there, I would like to once again pass on my sincere thanks for the standard of training given to me. I remember finishing up the first part of the course (20 hrs sim) thinking that the rest of the course in the a/c was going to be a doddle. How wrong was I!? It's amazing how things like turbulence and magnetic dip during the hold and NDB/ DME approaches can make you feel like your'e back at square one. But in the end it all comes together, so a first time pass on the IR skills test. Next time I'm speaking with Solent Control, I hope it's in slightly more relaxed circumstances! Completed the CPL skills test as part of the 1179 for the IR in the Duchess.
8. Back to Oz, complete the night hours requirement for the issue of my little blue book- and here it is!

All of you who are currently/ about to start training- IT CAN BE DONE!