PDA

View Full Version : Leslie Thomas

bosnich71
7th May 2014, 23:28
Author Leslie Thomas has passed away at the age of 83.
R.I.P.

Ogre
8th May 2014, 03:20
Now that is a shame. A master at filling single words or complete sentances chock full of innuendo, an inspiration to so many of us.

Can we expect a tribute with some of his films?

maliyahsdad2
8th May 2014, 07:54
Author Leslie Thomas (? me neither) not actor Leslie Phillips

tony draper
8th May 2014, 08:01
The Ipcress File,Virgin Soldiers,ect,discovered him at the end of my Ian Fleming phase,a cut above Fleming he were.
:)

oncemorealoft
8th May 2014, 08:30
I think you'll find that the Ipcress File was Len Deighton.

tony draper
8th May 2014, 08:37
Oh Buggah! you are right,much embarrassment, :O

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2014, 08:40
Much as I enjoyed The Virgin Soldiers and some of his other lighter reads, I think Thomas's best work was The Magic Army, his fictionalised account of the evacuation of a large part of the South Hams in Devon to enable US troops to rehearse the D Day invasion, using Slapton sands as a double for Utah beach.

Thomas, who was a Barnardo boy, had been evacuated to the area, so used his local knowledge to good effect. A great read.

Con pilot would like the bit where a horrified US staff officer discovers that very well-cooked Brussels Sprouts are on the menu for a meal where General Eisenhower is to be present. "We cant expect the general to eat those, for Chrissakes!"

Sir Niall Dementia
8th May 2014, 08:50
Or also from the Magic Army after the meal with the spam and sprouts the general says "When we started firing the artillery around here make sure we get the sprout fields first!"

My favourite Leslie Thomas was Arthur McCann And All His Women about a merchant navy deck officer and general failure as most of Thomas's characters were.

Leslie Thomas taught me a lot about the theory of sex, Molly S taught me the practical.

RIP and thanks for years of entertainment.

SND

Capetonian
8th May 2014, 08:58
A friend of mine thought Leslie Thomas was the greatest author ever. Can't say his writings ever appealed to me as anything more than mildly entertaining and harmless smut, but he clearly gave a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.

The SSK
8th May 2014, 09:58
I was working in the BOAC cargo warehouse when The Virgin Soldiers was being shot on location and we were shipping out all the props for the film. I remember on the cargo manifest several containers of Kensington Gore and a box of 'wounds, various'.

vulcanised
8th May 2014, 11:57
I think one of his best was titled This Time Next Week (?) about his time in Barnardos.

Thoroughly enjoyed his books of all flavours.

goudie
8th May 2014, 18:16
He was an author of his time and I enjoyed all his books I read. The Island books were especially interesting