PDA

View Full Version : good flying novels

southposs
20th May 2002, 21:54
Hi, Can anyone recommend any good flying novels set in Asia.Thanks. Bruce

Centaurus
25th May 2002, 12:36
Try "A Band of Brothers" by Ernest Gann. A fine book based on a B727 that crashed 5 miles short of the old Sung Shan (Sorry - I think my spelling is way out) at Taipei around 1952 I think. It is a fictional story based on fact - and quite rivetting. Still available as paper back in book shops.
More recent is "My Secret War" by Rick Drury who writes a wonderful column in US Airways magazine. It is the story of his Skyraider flying during the Vietnam war. The book costs $US5.00 within the US. One of the best books that I have ever read on flying. There is one chapter where Drury is attacking a road convoy at night in his Skyraiderwhen he gets shot up with his instrument panel wrecked. He is left with a Turn and bank indicator then flies into a thunderstorm. Amazing story.

I sent $15 US to cover postage US to Australia. Sent money to Rick Drury,
Drury Lane Books,
PO Box 445, Friday harbour, WA 98250, USA

Ivanahumpalot
25th May 2002, 16:00
Caution! Don't get mixed up with another book (HBO TV mini-series) "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose. This one is about the 101st Airborne Division in WWII, nothing to do with flying. I guess jumping out of airplanes could be considered flying! Great book and TV series.

Back Seat Driver
26th May 2002, 09:53
ChickenHawk - Robert Mason. His account of '66-'67 as US army UH-1 chopper driver in Vietnam. Won't find a better book. True Story.

Lee
3rd Jun 2002, 13:16
Another book based on fiction "Flight of the Intruder". About the story of an A6 Intruder set during the Vietnam War. The novel was made into a movie. Good reading too. But I forgotwho the writer was! Only remembered the hero of the story- Jake!

Ivanahumpalot
5th Jun 2002, 12:11
"Flight of the Intruder" was written by Stephen Coons, ex-Vietnam A6 driver. Excellent recommendation Lee!!

Lee
9th Jun 2002, 15:00
Thanks Ivanahumpalot for the author's name.

Southposs,
Another good author, Mark Berent has four good novels about the air war in Vietnam. They are:

Rolling Thunder, Steel Tiger, Phantom Leader and Eagle Station. The heroes of the stories are an USAF F-4 fighter pilot , Maj Court Bannister and USAF Cessna O2 FAC Capt Toby Parker. Great reading.

sean1
22nd Jun 2002, 03:02
John J Nance, a good read.