PDA

View Full Version : China's plans for North Korea.

G-CPTN
6th May 2014, 12:39
China plans for North Korean regime collapse leaked - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/10808719/China-plans-for-North-Korean-regime-collapse-leaked.html)

pvmw
6th May 2014, 13:04
I imagine that Yung Fat Wun's response to this will be to threaten China with nuclear annihilation. It is, of course, all the fault of the USA, JH will be along shortly to explain the details.

Buster Hyman
6th May 2014, 13:16
Is "Chinese Refugee Camp" a euphamism for something else?

Loki
6th May 2014, 14:36
Sounds like a sensible measure, a potential humanitarian disaster/civil war on their doorstep, they'd be remiss if they didn't have a whole range of tailor made actions to choose from.

rgbrock1
6th May 2014, 14:37
One of the options China has, which would be quite effective with North Korea, would be:
"Stop the bullshit saber rattling, get on with it or suffer the consequences."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th May 2014, 14:46
As the article points out, they will have had plans for a North Korean collapse for 40 years, so why are they releasing these now?

http://a.gifb.in/062013/1371747758_soccer_player_accidentally_gets_himself_an_extra_ yellow_card.gif

Yellow Card - final warning!

Personally, I don't think Yung Fat Wun can help himself......2 years tops and he'll be pushing up the daisies

rgbrock1
6th May 2014, 14:47
Fox3:

I'm not sure I see any correlation between the subject at hand and your posting of a football/soccer video. Hallucinogens much? :}

Lonewolf_50
6th May 2014, 14:48
Buster:
Is "Chinese Refugee Camp" a euphamism for something else?
Probably not. This looks to me like responsible contingency planning by a local power. They are aware of North Korean issues, and are accuratetly predicting that if the regime collapses, a power struggle like a civil war is a likely serial to that event.

One of the realities of civil wars in the modern age, what with populations being so large and the ever present Blue Helmeted contingents showing up to provide succor to the displaced, is that as a civil war breaks out, a certain sector of a population gets the hell out of the country and flows into a neighboring country.

The examples in Africa are legion. A classic case is in Rwanda in the early 90's, into Zaire and other neighbors.

Iraq had at least a million, perhaps more, leave their home country in the first three years of their civil war that followed the Coalition taking Saddam's regime out. Some internally displaced never went 'home' but ended up in a new part of Iraq. At least a million there, by best estimates.

Syria has seen a similar refugee flow out into neighboring countires, with Jordan and Turkey bearing the lion's share of the burden of being a neighbor. See also the Palestinians in the 60's through 80s, flowing into Jordan and then Lebanon.

The flow across the Afghan border into Pakistan is another example, over the past two decades.

I'd give the Chinese credit for due diligence and good planning.

EDIT: looks like I got ninja'd.
Fox:
Personally, I don't think Yung Fat Wun can help himself......2 years tops and he'll be pushing up the daisies
I'll bet he's still among the quick in two years. He may be able to learn on the job well enough not to get axed ... any number of tin pot despots last a lot longer than they deserve.

SMT Member
6th May 2014, 14:56
rgbrock1

You mean like this (from the Telegraph article):

The release of the study comes just days after Beijing issued a thinly veiled warning to Pyongyang, ahead of a fourth anticipated nuclear test, that China would “by no means allow war or chaos to occur on our doorstep.” China, which is North Korea’s sole remaining significant supporter, also refused to export any crude oil over its border to the North in the first three months of the year.

onetrack
6th May 2014, 15:01
I'll wager the Yung Fat Wun will still be there in 20 years - but in the intervening years, a lot of NK military leaders will be pushing up daisies, due to more ruthless culling by the Yung Fat Wun.
Hopefully the culling would provide a useful weakening effect on NK, so that when push comes to shove, the Yung Fat Wun will suddenly find he has no-one left with any real military skills.
Either that, or at the first sign of shove, Yung Fat Wun will rapidly get it in the neck, just beaten to the punch by some fast-moving NK military powerbroker.

500N
6th May 2014, 15:03
You have to wonder how many of the NK Military leaders are
in the pocket on the Chinese ?

con-pilot
6th May 2014, 17:47
China, which is North Korea’s sole remaining significant supporter, also refused to export any crude oil over its border to the North in the first three months of the year.

Perhaps the above, quoted from the link, was a warning to the Little Un by the Chinese?

A shot across the bow sort of thing.