PDA

View Full Version : Terrible RE pictures

garp
5th May 2014, 13:45
I hope this hasn't been posted yet. A fellow has started collecting contributions from actual RE ads. Incredible stuff.
Terrible real estate agent photographs (http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/)
A few examples....

http://i61.tinypic.com/iemjut.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2w1tfmb.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/95vrcp.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/2w6xf1f.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2n199b4.png

Cacophonix
5th May 2014, 14:06
Foster Beer Advert - Feng Shui - YouTube

Caco

Mechta
5th May 2014, 17:32
Did anyone else think this thread would be photos of the goings-on in religious education classes?

Rossian
5th May 2014, 17:43
....no, mechta, you weren't the only one. I did wonder as my 12 yrs-old-today-grand-daughter tells me that at her school RE is really super-boring, grandad, innit? The teacher wasn't impressed by a very articulate child putting forward her aged relative's atheistic beliefs.

The Ancient Mariner

Effluent Man
5th May 2014, 17:47
My son's RE teacher once complained to me that he had told the class "All religious belief is a form of mental illness". I replied "And your point is?"

vee-tail-1
5th May 2014, 18:12
"Terrible RE pictures"
Yes I expected pictures of crucified bodies, victims burnt at the stake, martyred virgins, heretics stretched on the rack, maimed and stoned unbelievers, etc.

Apparently RE stands for Real estate which translates to 'Property for Sale' :hmm:

500N
5th May 2014, 18:20
Mechta

You can add me to the list as well !

Hated Religious studies at school, just could not bring myself
to read that awful book, the Bible !

G-CPTN
5th May 2014, 18:33
My son never was a believer, but he was (and still is) an avid reader.

At age 11 or 12 he voluntarily read the bible (that he had found in grandma's house) - from cover to cover like a novel.

His opinion was that it was 'a good book' - a comment that wasn't contrived - it was his honest opinion.

It didn't change his mind about religion.

Mechta
5th May 2014, 19:08
Hated Religious studies at school, just could not bring myself
to read that awful book, the Bible !

500N, Likewise! I managed 4th in the class in RE, and learned it all from reading Ladybird books. (As an aside, try googling 'Alternative Ladybird books'...)

A few years after I left the school our RE teacher was arrested for indecent exposure, so I must admit I was somewhat apprehensive about the content of the pictures this thread was inviting me to view. :eek:

500N
5th May 2014, 19:18
Mechta

I should have taken your route !

I failed "O" Level Religious Studies or whatever it was called
because I wouldn't read the bible. Probably not a wise move
on my part !

Loki
5th May 2014, 19:33
My RE classes consisted of the RE teacher telling us all about his wartime experiences....fascinating stuff, and I wouldn't have missed it.

G-CPTN
5th May 2014, 20:50
Why would anyone want to take O-level Religious Studies unless they were planning to be a priest? :confused:

Our War-experience education came in the Latin lessons.
'Balbus' operated an anti-aircraft battery in Egypt.
The first aircraft that they shot down was a Lysander (http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/diaries/images/lysander.jpg) (a British reconnaissance aircraft).
To identify the local workers (that Balbus referred to as Wogs) he issued them all with football boots to wear.

500N
5th May 2014, 20:57
From memory, I think it was compulsory and / or it was seen as an easy O Level to get.

I agree though, why for an atheist I needed to study the bible
is anyone's guess.

Then again, I also did Latin and this was in 1978 - 1982 :O

The one teacher I remember was the French teacher who had had Polio
so limped along.

con-pilot
5th May 2014, 21:16
ANYWAY.....

Going back to the subject of Real Estate, my wife was once a realtor (estate agent) and she couldn't believe how messy people would have their homes when she went to take photos of their homes.

And as for how they were decorated and furnished, some homes would stagger the imagination. Strangely enough, sometimes the price of the home made no difference, from million dollar homes to small wood framed track homes.

As she once told me, "For God's sake you'd think they'd at least flush the toilet after having a bowl movement, before I arrive to take the pictures of their home."

A few houses she walked out of as fast as she could just because of the smell.

G-CPTN
5th May 2014, 21:29
Some folk don't want to sell their house - they just have to.

I bought a house that a woman and her several children were being evicted from by the husband (due to her infidelity).

What a nightmare!

She took all the kitchen cupboards (they were new when the extension was built - she had been philandering with the builders).
She also took anything and everything that she could - ceiling light fittings leaving bare wires - telephone (BT's property) - the stoptap for the washing machine and dishwasher (as well as the appliances) meaning that we couldn't turn the water on (or have any lights).
Her solicitor admitted fault but said there was no point in suing as she had no money and wasn't expected to pay his bill.

The rooms were six-inches deep with broken and discarded toys.

Dushan
5th May 2014, 21:39
Wouldn't there have been a final inspection a few hours before the lawyers transfer ownership and funds?

G-CPTN
5th May 2014, 21:43
Wouldn't there have been a final inspection a few hours before the lawyers transfer ownership and funds? No - you don't get the keys until the money is paid.

What are you going to do when you've sold your previous house? (to get the money to pay for the 'new' house).
Your furniture is loaded into the wagon . . .

Stopping a sale invokes a 10% penalty on the purchase price.

Solicitors have exchanged contracts and completion (the transfer of monies) will occur on several properties in the chain at an agreed time (usually midday) on a specific day.

jimtherev
5th May 2014, 21:54
Way back in me yoof, there was a London Estate Agent, EH Brooks, who advertised in the Sundays totally honestly... here's a made-up example:

"This is a pokey dark little flat, allegedly with two bedrooms (only true if one is for an under-five or a small baboon) which could do with decoration. It seems to have wallpaper dating from the 1920s, what's left of it. The boiler makes strange noises and I was astonished to find that the hot tap actually works. Allegedly there is a garden; I couldn't see past the out-of control shrubs outside the kitchen window.... etc. "

Amazingly, he commanded high prices and gottem. Everyone seemed to read his adverts and waited for the next lot.

Sadly the company became respectable and boring; I don't know if they still exist. Haven't heard of them for years.

con-pilot
5th May 2014, 22:03
Some folk don't want to sell their house - they just have to.

Yes, quite right, but the houses I was referring to, the people wanted to sell their homes. Most had already put a down payment on another home, so they really wanted to sell.

They were just frickin' slobs.

tartare
5th May 2014, 22:38
This is as bad as the Halal meat on subs thread.
I'm still trying to get rid of the mental image of Muslims queuing up in the mess on an SSBN.
And I see the Royal Navy welcomed it's first female submariners yesterday - well done.

Metro man
6th May 2014, 00:31
And I see the Royal Navy welcomed it's first female submariners yesterday - well done.

The United States Navy decided to try a submarine with an all female crew, the proposal went through the relevant departments for comment. Personnel could supply enough female ratings and officers. Engineering said that with modern powered controls and equipment, the ladies would be able to operate the sub.

However the Medical Department pointed out that when women live and work together in close quarters in situations such as nurses homes, boarding schools and women's prisons, their menstrual cycles synchronise and did the Navy really want a submarine armed with nuclear weapons sailing around the world with the entire crew suffering PMS at the same time ?

The proposal was quietly dropped.:hmm:

onetrack
6th May 2014, 04:10
When I first saw the title, I was expect dreadful images of what the corp of Royal Engineers had been up to. :(

Hydromet
6th May 2014, 04:31
Religious education was compulsory at my daughter's school.
My wife would do her RE assignments, in return for daughter doing wife's (mature age student) science assignments.

Effluent Man
6th May 2014, 06:52
I must admit Royal Engineers was the first thing that went through my mind.

I had an English teacher who had been a tank commander in Normandy.Guards Armoured Division if memory serves.His stories were briliant and he had a knack for telling them.My favourite:

His tank was hit in Holland and a piece of shrapnel went right through his neck.He was given first aid and put in an ambulance along with a an equally badly wounded German.Apparently they got on quite well conversing in bits of each other's languages helped on occasions by the padre who was riding with them.

The ambulance was heading west along a dyke top road when a shell fell ahead,quickly followed by another.The driver stopped and the padre said
"Get out and lie beside the dyke" My teacher looked at him and at the German and said "No padre,you get out and lie beside the road.Me and the jerry will stay here and trust in your Lord".

He said that the padre replied in an exasperated tone "Sgt H,of all the times you have wanted to start an argument about religion I think this is about the worst"

acbus1
6th May 2014, 07:04
Some posts remind me of a report on TV of tenants falling out with their landlord. Footage demonstrated that they'd removed everything before they left.

...including the plaster on the walls. :}

Carry0nLuggage
6th May 2014, 11:34
Our local paper kept publishing photos of bits of cars for sale. Such as just the corner of the windscreen.

BTW. What exactly is unreal estate?

MagnusP
6th May 2014, 11:54
BTW. What exactly is unreal estate?

All explained on a Discworld wiki. HTH.

Unreal Estate - Discworld & Terry Pratchett Wiki (http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Unreal_Estate)

ExRAFRadar
6th May 2014, 14:02
I quite liked RE

superq7
6th May 2014, 14:33
RE that's new to me when I was at school that lesson was called Scripture.

PTT
6th May 2014, 14:54
When some here were at school it was called Current Affairs :E

The SSK
6th May 2014, 14:59
She also took anything and everything that she could - ceiling light fittings leaving bare wires

Perfectly normal here, although we (moving in two months) are leaving almost all of ours behind.

One thing that was left behind in the new house was a hideous porcelain handbasin and associated fittings in the loo which turns out to be signed by a major makier with an antique value in four figures.

coldair
6th May 2014, 15:00
Back on topic, Terrible RE pictures ;

http://i62.tinypic.com/11ucolu.jpg

Stained glass window, in a Church near you ?

garp
6th May 2014, 15:16
Sorry for the confusion chaps but at the same time, I've never seen a thread derail so fast as here on Pprune. :ok:

superq7
6th May 2014, 15:37
garp this isn't an Estate Agent pic but I took it on the day a tenant moved out of a property in Bristol, I was payed to clear it.

http://i58.tinypic.com/qrhgy0.jpg

garp
6th May 2014, 20:33
^^^^Whatever they paid, it wasn't enough...

500N
9th May 2014, 22:51
I asked the GF re the purple house, knowing she likes Purple !

Said it was a bit much !

ExSp33db1rd
10th May 2014, 00:52
........did the Navy really want a submarine armed with nuclear weapons sailing around the world with the entire crew suffering PMS at the same time ?

Wouldn't that be best equipped for the task in hand - attacking a male equipped enemy submarine ?

visibility3miles
10th May 2014, 02:00
A real estate agent showed me & Mr. Vis a house that had bright red wall-to-wall shag carpeting and shiny gold wallpaper with red velvet patterns in nearly every room.

We both wondered what it had been used for previously, and thought, "No, no, no...", in terms of making it our home.

Metro man
10th May 2014, 09:12
Wouldn't that be best equipped for the task in hand - attacking a male equipped enemy submarine ?

Any male would do, not necessarily enemy. Imagine all the ex husbands and boyfriends back in the USA who would be a far more tempting target, and if they happened to live in New York or Los Angeles, SO DAMNED WELL WHAT !;)