PDA

View Full Version : Five simple Science Tricks

meadowrun
5th May 2014, 03:16
5 Simple Science Tricks! - YouTube

coldair
5th May 2014, 07:46
A nice little 'trick' is to demonstrate that the boiling point of water is only 100 degrees C in standard atmosphere.

Fill a 50 cc syringe, or similar, with water. Remove all air and pull on the plunger - Hey presto ! It will boil at any temperature. Most non pilots will not believe this is is possible, until you explain the science.

Coldair

TURIN
5th May 2014, 07:50
Being a pilot is not necessary to understand basic science. There are more engineers, scientists and scholars than pilots. Ergo, your premise is bogus.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

UniFoxOs
5th May 2014, 09:39
Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it is not necessarily bogus - most people will not understand simple science, therefore it follows that most people out of any group that does not specifically include scientists/engineers will not understand it.

e.g. most non-vicars will not understand it. Doesn't mean that most vicars will.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th May 2014, 09:57
Most people do not understand simple science because they have not been taught it by trained scientists who can also teach and who follow a curriculum designed to help children understand simple science.
All three elements are lacking in most industrialised democracies, and the situation is getting worse.
The almost ubiquitous treatment of scientists, or those with an interest in it, in the media as socially laughable 'geeks' isn't helping.

...and almost anyone (including the bottom science sets) taught by good science teachers largely ignoring Government curricula (i.e. private schools) could explain those tricks.

Cacophonix
5th May 2014, 10:10
Poor old coldair may have used the set of pilots as an appeal to authority not as a mutually exclusive collection of scientific conoscenti but simply because statistically there may be more pilots than physicists and other less relevantly scientifically educated 'laymen' that haunt these hallowed threads...

Now consider the set of physicists who are also pilots or how many angels can dance on the head of pin ... You have got to love JB. ;)

Caco

Windy Militant
5th May 2014, 10:11
Have you seen 'None of the above' with Tim Shaw not sure which channel it's on but he goes around America demonstrating all sorts of Science tricks.
I presume that they select the participants to get maximum effect but it makes it appear that there is not a great deal of science taught in the USA these days.
But then again when a survey a few years ago said the most wanted job for teenage boys in the UK was Male model, which when I was starting an Engineering apprenticeship was usually an euphemism for something rather unsavoury, is there any wonder that Science is low on the agenda.

What I do find strange is that a generation so in love with electronic gizmos find the actual intricacies of their operation and manufacture so boring. Compare this to the generation who would build crystal radios out of bean tins and bits ofwire. :confused:

VP959
5th May 2014, 10:15
I think that, perhaps, the point that coldair may have been making is that pilots may be more likely than other lay people to understand concepts like vapour pressure, partial pressures of gases etc as this forms an intrinsic part of their basic training.

Clearly there are a lot of scientists and people with a basic education in science that would also understand these principles, but that doesn't remove the fact that every single trained pilot will have also been taught them (and I'm assuming that the technical part of pilot training is similar everywhere around the globe to that in the UK, here, which might be stretching things a bit).

Mechta
5th May 2014, 19:55
I'm with TURIN. One only needs to look at the MH370 thread to see how many pilots think that those who design, build, maintain and provide air traffic control to the machines they fly, could have nothing useful to contribute to the thread and would wish to exclude them from commenting.

Yes, pilots do need to learn science and apply it on a daily basis in their work, others do too though.

Flash2001
5th May 2014, 20:12
I am astonished at the number of times I have something proposed to me that violates simple laws of physics or math and I have to say "Why don't you know this? You were taught it in high school."

After an excellent landing etc...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th May 2014, 21:21
Taught it is very different from learning it. The education system generally measures taught it, not learned it. Hence your, and everybody else's, experiences with people who know Jack Sh!t about science but ought to.
Of course, a fair bit of science that is taught isn't really needed by most people, or is taught badly; so lots of kids tend to not learn almost all of it since they can't sort the wheat from the chaff.

Fantome
5th May 2014, 21:30
You have got to love JB.
CACO . . .. . .. i'm buggered if I can remember what we did
for mental stimulation and mild sword play before we found these diverse forums.

propping up a bar somewhere with a bunch of pisspots was OK . . .. but hardly the same thing

why is it so? . .. . .. ..can't ask Prof Julius Sumner Miller anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfxV7uNZXQ

TURIN
5th May 2014, 21:42
Well, that escalated quickly. :O

5711N0205W
6th May 2014, 00:58
Creationism, now that's a Science trick according to some of the billboards I've seen in Louisiana this week... :\

visibility3miles
6th May 2014, 02:13
They Might be Giants -- The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas
3JdWlSF195Y

Why Does the Sun Really Shine? (The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma)
[because the sun isn't made of gas.]
sLkGSV9WDMA

Meet the Elements
Uy0m7jnyv6U

Bill Nye the Science Guy is also fun.

ruddman
6th May 2014, 03:25
Here's a simple science trick.

Adding ice cold beer to an ice cold glass results in = :ok:

VP959
6th May 2014, 06:21
Here's a simple science trick.

Adding ice cold beer to an ice cold glass results in =

Reminds me of an argument I once had with my other half, years ago. She'd asked me not to put the milk in the cup of tea I'd just made her, as she would do it later "as she liked her tea hot". I made (what I thought) was an innocent remark that it'd cool down faster left without milk in then it would if I put the milk in now. She was adamant this wasn't the case.

Being stubborn I got a couple of fresh mugs out, stuck a thermometer in each and filled both with hot tea from the pot. I added milk to one immediately, then added milk to the other 5 minutes later. I scribbled down the temperature of each every minute and plotted the cooling curves. After ten minutes, the tea into which I'd poured the cold milk in first was several degrees warmer than the tea where I'd waited 5 minutes and then poured the cold milk in.

I showed my other half the graphs and tried to explain Newton's law of cooling, and that the rate of heat loss was proportional to the differential temperature, so lowering this differential as quickly as possible (by adding the milk at the start) reduced the initial rate of high heat loss and conserved the sensible heat in the tea.

The result? She didn't speak to me for the next 24 hours...................

acbus1
6th May 2014, 06:38
Cad you lod slo doun....

I'ze stil no *hic* go pasd 'Take three empty pint glasses and stack them as shown...'

OGay, letz *hic* trai agan...

Cacophonix
6th May 2014, 06:48
propping up a bar somewhere with a bunch of pisspots was OK . . .. but hardly the same thing

I have been known to try and combine the results of an evening out with the piss artists and the rarified air of JB with calamitous results! ;)

Fantome you are right, JB is a far finer place. Cheaper to visit and doesn't leave you with a hangover.

Prof. Sumner Miller (now there's a blast from the past). Gone I guess to to debate with other departed physicists. Here in spirit...

Vangelis - Space - Time Continuum - YouTube

Caco

Cacophonix
6th May 2014, 06:56
The result? She didn't speak to me for the next 24
hours...................

Woman: 1

Thermodynamics: 0

Caco

TURIN
6th May 2014, 09:48
Adding ice cold beer to an ice cold glass results in =

Tooth ache!:}

wings folded
6th May 2014, 16:22
Reminds me of an argument I once had with my other half, years ago. She'd asked me not to put the milk in the cup of tea I'd just made her, as she would do it later "as she liked her tea hot". I made (what I thought) was an innocent remark that it'd cool down faster left without milk in then it would if I put the milk in now. She was adamant this wasn't the case.

Being stubborn I got a couple of fresh mugs out, stuck a thermometer in each and filled both with hot tea from the pot. I added milk to one immediately, then added milk to the other 5 minutes later. I scribbled down the temperature of each every minute and plotted the cooling curves. After ten minutes, the tea into which I'd poured the cold milk in first was several degrees warmer than the tea where I'd waited 5 minutes and then poured the cold milk in.

I showed my other half the graphs and tried to explain Newton's law of cooling, and that the rate of heat loss was proportional to the differential temperature, so lowering this differential as quickly as possible (by adding the milk at the start) reduced the initial rate of high heat loss and conserved the sensible heat in the tea.

The result? She didn't speak to me for the next 24 hours...................

As foreplay goes it is a little bit tedious :p

Flash2001
6th May 2014, 17:20
I think a lot of the problem is a peer group that esteems ignorance. Eggheads weren't part of the "In" set in the high schools I attended. One has only to remember the opening lines of the song Kodachrome to understand this. Add the facts that no one ever tells the student that this stuff will be useful some day, the majority of teachers are mediocre time servers (I was in grade 10 before I identified my first good one), a general attitude that the student is there only to get a ticket punched and a tendency to teach to whatever miserable standardized test the government is using this year and you have a recipe for disaster.

After an excellent landing etc...

funfly
6th May 2014, 22:19
Glass of water at room temperature in a freezer.
Glass of warmer water in same freezer.

The warmer water will freeze quicker than the colder one.

Something to do with circulation I think. :ok:

funfly
6th May 2014, 22:21
e = mc2

where e = energy
m = men
c =...well you know where this is going.

FF

Hydromet
7th May 2014, 00:27
VP959, that was one of Julius Sumner Miller's posers that I remember from way back in school. (Is it really that long ago??)

Re teachers who don't/can't convince students of the value of science, I've mentioned before that two of my high school maths teachers were WW II bomber navigators. One daren't suggest to them that maths was not worthwhile.

visibility3miles
7th May 2014, 03:51
http://filecabinet1.eschoolview.com/471F441F-4659-49F3-B34E-5956BC3C229E/gggggggg.jpg

Cacophonix
7th May 2014, 05:07
"Holy Carnot Batman, that warmed my cheek..."

Caco