PDA

View Full Version : Runway Numbering??

Herod
4th May 2014, 20:56
I'm presently reading a novel concerning the crew of a Marauder in WW2. It is written by an experienced aviator, with several non-fiction books to his credit. However, I've noticed the following....

They had taken off from runway three-six...." After a simulated engine failure and immediate return "....wind is from one-six-zero at fifteen"

Later. "surface wind is out of three-five-zero at fifteen...hold short of runway one-eight and wait for a green light."

Assuming the author didn't make the same mistake twice, my question is, did the USAAC refer to runways in the reciprocal; i.e. RW 18 starts at the southern end of the field. Alternatively, did they refer to winds the way the navy refer to tides; in the direction they are going, as opposed to coming from. It's a new one on me.

Fareastdriver
5th May 2014, 09:02
They had taken off from runway three-six

Maybe it was the thirty-sixth runway the US Army engineers had built that month.

chevvron
7th May 2014, 01:52
Given the relatively high wing loading of the Marauder, I would have thought a headwind for both takeoff and landing would be highly desirable.
'Hold short of runway 18' might indicate he has to backtrack 18 for a departure off runway 36; you would certainly want to use 36 for takeoff with that wind.
I have heard similar terminology used at Stavanger ie 'enter runway 06, line up runway 24'.