PDA

View Full Version : Which first??? IR or ATPL?? Please advise.

SchoonerBoy
15th Sep 2001, 23:31
2 Questions somebody out there must have an opinion on....

a) As a recently qualified PPL(A) holder which of the following would be best in your opinions to do next..... (i) start studying with a view to the ATPL ground exams and then build hours up to the 150 mark after which I can start my CPL??.....OR.....(ii) take my IR which would have the benefit of allowing me to build hours while at the same time learning and getting another rating??

(b) Not everywhere offers the groundschooling for the IR.... Can anyone recommend a decent place to study for the IR? I'm flexible so I don't mind doing the Ground school one place and the flying at another.

Have heard good things of Guildhall Uni for the ground but their web site says in reference to IR schooling:- quote "pending approval by JAA "

Also heard good things about Aeros in Bristol..

Does anybody know anything about these 2 schools or have any answers to the first 2 questions. ALL COMMENTS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Speedbird252
16th Sep 2001, 02:48
When you say IR do you really mean do your IMC rating? A big difference to an IR (Instrment Rating) - about 15 grand to be precise.

If youve just completed your PPL, id get some hours under your belt. It all depends on what route you wish to take to get your ATPL as to when to start each rating.

You might want to post this in the Private Flying forum, stating all this info, im sure people will be happy to help.

Regards. :p

SchoonerBoy
16th Sep 2001, 03:32
I DO actually mean Instrument Rating and NOT the IMC.

I'm not keen on the IMC as the instrument hours I log studying for it will not be taken into account when studying for the JAA IR. i.e. no reduction from 50 possible.

clear prop!!!
16th Sep 2001, 12:38
Schoonerboy

I would definitely do your ground school first.

This is not intended to in anyway question your abilities, but it is a fact that some students cannot get through the ATPL theory exams. Sad but true.
To ‘drop out’ at that stage would be bad. To drop out having done a £13k plus IR course would be beyond contemplation!!

You say that you are only recently qualified. Well if I were you I would get as much flying experience under your belt as you can before you start the £300+per hour IR training.

There is no doubt that hours and CPL training will save you money in the long run. You will start your IR training with more knowledge and confidence.

In addition, the ground school does help your understanding of instruments.

Good luck

foghorn
16th Sep 2001, 13:08
As you also point out, you'd also have to do two lots of groundschool - firstly the IR exams and then the ATPL exams. This would mean extra cost and time.

The IR exams are not that easy.

You also need 150 hours pilot in command before you can be issued with an IR on the back of a PPL (only 100 hours with an IR on a CPL).

Do the ATPLs. Makes much more sense and costs less.

If you're keen on getting instrument time in your hour building, get an IMC rating and do some SE IFR hour building. I had 10 hours P1 IFR out of my 100 hours upon IR issue (which I passed first time).

cheers!
foggy.

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

Delta Wun-Wun
16th Sep 2001, 16:43
From what I gather the CAA IR Test is one of the hardest (and expensive) flying tests,so I would do everything I could to increase my chances of passing it.Although you get no time off an IR for doing an IMC there are bits of the IR you can practise with it.Of course once you have an IR you have got to keep it current whilst doing the ATPL`s and it ain`t cheap.
(ps Foghorn still waiting to hear your life story of your journey to a F/ATPL. :cool: )

foghorn
16th Sep 2001, 18:09
OK D11 I'll get writing :)

SchoonerBoy
16th Sep 2001, 21:07
Clear Prop, Foggy & Delta Wun Wun,

Cheers for the advice. Always good to talk to others and get a different angle on the situation. Very easy to get an attack of tunnel vision!

Thanks very much.

ALL COMMENTS WELCOME

Speedbird252
16th Sep 2001, 22:58
Bear in mind also that if you get an IMC you can go and use it, and practise the art. If you get an instrument rating, you would as a PPL never be flying an aircraft that would ever be allowed in airspace that required it.

Good luck anyway.

:)