PDA

View Full Version : Drive through cashpoints

814man
3rd May 2014, 11:48
As we seem to use less and less cash in day to day activities I again come to the weekend finding I need to visit a cashpoint. I then have the dilemma of driving to nearest town and either (a) going to large out of town shopping complex where I can park for free and walk to cashpoint on wall of supermarket, or (b) drive to town centre and park in pay and display then walk to nearest bank for cashpoint on the wall. Both of these options become a bit of a pain when itís raining or cold.
Now this is not a huge issue I grant you but every time I have this I ask myself why do we not have drive through cashpoints? I recall living in USA back in 1989 and they had a drive through cashpoint on the wall of the local town bank that worked just like the drive through MacDonalds. Exactly the same as any other cashpoint, just on the wall of the bank with drive though lane next to it. Does anyone know if there is a specific reason why these were not adopted in UK?

meadowrun
3rd May 2014, 11:51
Real estate for space too expensive?
Roads and buildings usually not suited for that kind of traffic flow?

We've got them over here. A few.

DX Wombat
3rd May 2014, 11:57
Many years ago in the 1960s the National Westminster Bank in Liverpool had a drive-through branch on Princes Road.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd May 2014, 11:58
This very day last year!!

BBC News - Slough Metro Bank drive-through branch open for business (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-22398544)

How's that for service ;)

meadowrun
3rd May 2014, 12:13
Actually think the drive-thru bottle shops in Oz are more useful.

814man
3rd May 2014, 12:14
Excellent info all thanks. I don't really want full cashier service just a cashpoint I can use from my car.

Fareastdriver
3rd May 2014, 12:20
It's a good idea to have one out of sight of the general public at night as long as there is good access for a JCB.

superq7
3rd May 2014, 12:29
How about using the cash back facility at a supermarket.

Capetonian
3rd May 2014, 12:52
I suspect that this is why there are so few drivethrough ATMs.

PROCEDURES FOR OUR CUSTOMERS: 1. Drive up to cash machine.
2. Reverse back the required amount to align car window with cash machine.
3. Re-start the stalled engine.
4. Wind down the window.
5. Find handbag, remove all contents on to passenger seat to locate card.
6. Turn the radio down.
7. Attempt to insert card into machine.
8. Open car door to allow easier access to cash machine due to its excessive distance from the car.
9. Insert card.
10. After "Invalid Card" is displayed - Remove "Marks & Spencers" Charge card and insert correct Cash Point card
11. Remove Cash Point Card
12. Re-insert Cash Point card the right way up.
13. Re-enter handbag to find diary with your PIN written on the inside back page.
14. Enter PIN.
15. Press "Cancel" and re-enter correct PIN.
16. Enter amount of cash required.
17. Check make-up in rear view mirror.
18. Retrieve cash and receipt.
19. Empty handbag again to locate purse and place cash inside.
20. Place receipt in back of cheque book.
21. Re-check make-up.
22. Drive forward 2 meters.
23. Reverse back to cash machine.
24. Retrieve card.
25. Re-empty hand bag, locate card holder, and place card into the slot provided.
26. Restart stalled engine and pull off.
27. Drive for 2 to 3 miles.
28. Release handbrake.

acbus1
3rd May 2014, 13:38
If you walk to a cashpoint rather than drive you won't need to withdraw anywhere near as much money.

boguing
3rd May 2014, 15:17
Petrol station? About half have free machines.

GrumpyOldFart
3rd May 2014, 15:36
Over here the buttons on the ATM keypads have the Braille characters embossed. On drive-thru ATMs.

:uhoh:

814man
3rd May 2014, 17:11
Thinking of the cashpoints that charge, surely they would be keen on this (drive through that is) as why else would you chose to use them if not for convenience. I recall a few weeks back stopping at a petrol, station and going to use the cashpoint only to see they had a charge of £1-50 per withdrawal. So on principle I didn't use it but drove an additional 3 miles to the free one in my gas guzzling 4x4..........:hmm:

ExSp33db1rd
3rd May 2014, 21:21
Cash? What do you need cash for? Everywhere gives cashback, so no problem.

No they don't.

racedo
3rd May 2014, 21:31
No they don't.

My mate Dave and his sawn off says they do....................:p

Drive through ATMs ............just don't see the point.

airship
3rd May 2014, 21:55
One of the reasons why there's much improvements available to be made in much of Africa's road networks are these "cash-points". Where especially lorries carrying goods are stopped and made to pay small bribes "in cash", so as to be allowed to carry-on until the next "drive-through" cash-point? 814man, is that what we're discussing?!

VFD
3rd May 2014, 21:59
We have plenty of "Drive Thru" ATM machines here in OKC.

What is real scary is that they all have "Braille" on the keys/buttons.

VFD

eastern wiseguy
4th May 2014, 01:24
Drive through ATMs ............just don't see the point.

I was of the same opinion when I moved to Ohio,HOWEVER,now that I am used to it I figure there is less chance of a scrote relieving me of my dosh if I am in my car and very close to the machine.

Plus we have drive through everything here. I especially like the drive through liquor stores :)

Having been literally run off the road two days ago I am NOT surprised some people need Braille buttons on the drivers side.

Cacophonix
4th May 2014, 01:31
Can I shove a 9 Mill and deal in $...?

Caco

500N
4th May 2014, 01:34

You missed one other option.

Keep a small amount of Cash at home for times like this.

I keep - and use cash - quite often and always have cash on me and in the car in case the "system" goes down, especially in the country after you have filled up with fuel :rolleyes:

Although I must admit, the last time the Credit card system went down
was last week in town (one bank) and any shops with those terminals it was cash only !

airship
4th May 2014, 01:42
500N, Oztralia being such a huge country, wouldn't surprise me if you also had dem damned hilly-billies in some parts to contend with. Who couldn't comprehend being paid by credit card or cheque, just in plain good ole Ozzie dollar bills (for drivin' yer cars further down the river)...

Dueling Banjos (HD) - YouTube

There be thy Deliverence...

500N
4th May 2014, 03:46
Airship

Always liked that video.

In the not too distant past, yes, some places still didn't take CC etc
but very rare nowadays. In fact, I can't think of any I have seen and
I get to some pretty remote places.

beaufort1
4th May 2014, 07:50
We have two or three establishments here that don't take cards or cheques, just cash. It is a pain as you get so used to just handing over a debit card.