PDA

View Full Version : WWII DFM Citation/Recommendation Help Please?

Ray Dahvectac
2nd May 2014, 15:30
Can any kind soul out there, perhaps with access to a copy of John Tavender's work giving details of WWII DFM recommendations, provide any details of the award of the DFM to 552601 Sgt Jack Howell of 144 Sqn, gazetted on 7 March 1941?

The London Gazette notes that "the above awards are for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations” but I believe that Tavender contains much more detail.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Old-Duffer
4th May 2014, 11:02
The citation says:

"This airman has carried out 46 operational flights as a WOP/AG. His work has been of the highest order and he has never failed to work his set even under the most adverse weather conditions. He has shown outstanding courage, determination and ability".

It appears that Howell was subsequently killed in action.

Old Duffer

Ray Dahvectac
6th May 2014, 07:28
Many thanks OD - was that from Tavender's book or a different source?

Yes, Jack Howell died when his Hampden was shot down near Neeroeteren, Belgium on 10th April 1941, on (I believe) his 54th operational sortie.

I'm in touch with members of his family who have done some research already but trying to help them with any other info that is out there. One of his nephews has Jack's log book so I am fairly confident about the 54 missions (your info supports a high number) - he did well to survive that long.

If anyone has access to the 'Hampden Register', I believe he may also have been on board when 144 Sqn Hampden X3065 was abandoned near Oxford (date unknown)? Any info would be welcome.