PDA

View Full Version : Tablet/Firefox

dazdaz1
2nd May 2014, 15:24
Hi all

I decided to buy a tablet with android 4.2 32gb card installed. My question is... Can I download firefox as my browser? It's all new to me concerning tablets.

I thank you.

Daz

OFSO
2nd May 2014, 15:41
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-install-firefox-android-device

KBPsen
2nd May 2014, 17:46
Why don't you just have a look in the Play Store?

dazdaz1
3rd May 2014, 14:23
Thank you for the link OFSO I've learned from it. KBPsen..... I don't know what the 'Play store' is, but I thank you for your reply.

Daz

boguing
3rd May 2014, 15:20
Daz, Play store will be pre-installed on your pad. It's where you will get all the 'apps' from.

OFSO
3rd May 2014, 15:46
Daz, although it isn't 100% sure that apps on PlayStore will have no unwanted effects, Google do try to weed out the baddies. If you download and install apps from anywhere else, you might find it b*ggers up your tablet or costs you mucho money in telephone calls.

I can also recommend downloading Avast antivirus for Android and setting it to do a daily scan plus a scan of all new apps installed.....

henry_crun
3rd May 2014, 17:34
Daz - sorry to mention this, but if you didn't find Play Store yet...

...very first app to install is a virus checker.I use AVG.

dazdaz1
6th May 2014, 13:25
Many thanks to all, I have avast (mobile) now installed although I had to create a Google account to download.

Just one other thing if I maybe so bold.... When I'm on a website, such as Pprune how do I save/bookmark the site. What finger/symbol/press do I touch on the screen.

I'm still working on how to download firefox after a few attempts Google/Android does not seem to like it. Yes I have found the Play Store after expanding the screen size. Should have gone to specsavers

Daz

KBPsen
6th May 2014, 14:12
You open the Play Store, search for Firefox, click on the Firefox tile in the search results, click on install.

That's all.

OFSO
6th May 2014, 14:17
BTW Mr Daz, do not be surprised if you find that after installing a few apps, the speed slows to that at which the tablet would lose a race against a snail. This is because the on-board memory is tiny* and you can't shift many pre-installed apps to your plug-in SD card. The only solution is a daily** visit to the on-board apps and delete the cached information. The browser is a hog at using up memory with unnecessary info. And many things that come preinstalled, such as a Greek, Portuguese or Scouser language/touch interface, can't be deleted. Or the useless e-mail interface it came with which has been replaced by K9.

* At least on mine. Friends of Mr OFSO will express no surprise that two years ago he bought a very cheap tablet, in fact the cheapest made, from Maplins, with which, however he is very satisfied.

** On mine, anyway, because as soon as the onboard memory gets below 20 megs the performance becomes dire.

dazdaz1
7th May 2014, 14:26
Thanks for replies, oh and another thing. I was a bit niffed last night trying to remove sites from ff 'top sites'. After a web search it seems these cannot be removed causing concern and disappointment by poster to a Q&A web sites on this problem.

Tonight I'm having a play with the 'speech' function. I might be back tomorrow :hmm:

Daz

dazdaz1
26th May 2014, 14:03
Hi all post #11 sorted, one can now delete history. Having said that, while looking at an artistic web site and clicked on play to a video, a window popped up told me I need a flash player (the word Adobe was displayed) after a bit of a search it seems Adobe does not support any more Android 4.2 or further versions of their flash player software.

Any recommendations?

Daz

boguing
26th May 2014, 15:26
SWF Player from the Play store works for me.

dazdaz1
27th May 2014, 13:34
Many thanks boguing. I shall install tonight.

Daz