PDA

View Full Version : Where/How to fly in Asia with FAA PPL

TimBudong
2nd May 2014, 11:19
Hi there,

I just got my FAA PPL in the US, and since I'm based in Asia (Shanghai), I am looking for some tips on how to continue my flying experience around here.

Does anybody have suggestions on:

- What is the most convenient country to be flying in with a FAA PPL in Asia?
- Should we expect the Philippines authorities to be easier on the FAA licensed pilots now that the FAA has upgraded their airlines rating back to Category 1 (very recently)?
- Is there a list of N-registered aircraft that one can lease anywhere?
- How about Guam, Micronesia, American Samoa -> Any schools / Flying clubs??

I've done some research on my side but I'm quite desperate by the poorness of the info i got from Google. Any help will be appreciated.

kwaiyai
2nd May 2014, 14:50
Can you be a bit more specific? are you looking to fly as a PPL and build hours
with a view to Flying as a career? either way might be worth posting on some
other forums to help. Dont give up on google either.

TimBudong
4th May 2014, 18:38
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just flying as a hobby, have no intention on building time or passing any other ratings for the moment. Just want to keep flying to keep skills as much as possible. Single Engine land.

I know it's pretty basic for most of you experienced pilots, but it seems only that is a nightmare to achieve in Asia.... hence the difficulty of the research and the lack of feedback/experience online.

DieFade
12th May 2014, 04:33
I know there are some aero clubs in Malaysia that have N-registered aircraft. You can also try Thailand and Philippines.

prodi9y
12th May 2014, 04:37
Tim,

You might want to consider contacting them?

WingsOverAsia (http://www.wingsoverasia.com/)

Captain Stravaigin
16th May 2014, 09:21
The club that I fly with - Air Adventure has a C172 on the US register which is available to rent. There are others in MY - but often private owners.

There are no FAA Instructors in MY anymore - I knew of 3 but they have either left the country or their ratings have lapsed.

Quite a few N regs in SG. As mentioned above try WingsoverAsia.

I don't know of any in Vietnam (I have tried).

No idea about TH or KH or Laos.

Good Luck

Malcontento'
1st Sep 2015, 06:12
Actually I am here in Malaysia and am a CFII. I have been here for three years.

Captain Stravaigin
3rd Sep 2015, 10:14
Any chance you could conduct an IPC for me at SZB ?

Cheers

S

training wheels
9th Sep 2015, 01:32
Any chance you could conduct an IPC for me at SZB ?

Cheers

S

There are a couple in Batam instructing at a flying school there. You can fly to Batam from SZB with Malindo .. 1 hour flight.

lee_apromise
9th Sep 2015, 06:29
There are a couple in Batam instructing at a flying school there. You can fly to Batam from SZB with Malindo .. 1 hour flight.

Any N-reg Cessna in Batam?

training wheels
9th Sep 2015, 15:29
Any N-reg Cessna in Batam?

Well, if there is a N registered aircraft in Singapore, then you can do two things. Bring the aircraft to Batam, or bring the instructors to Singapore. It's a 45 minute ferry ride Batam to Singapore.

Iftitah787
11th Jan 2016, 19:24
Hello sir, ive read one of your reply and you said that you are FAA CFII and live in malaysia. I am Iftitah Baharudin and also live in malaysia. I graduated as a certified CPL back in the states.

I havent flown since i graduated and I really would like to do my recurrent.
Are You still live in malaysia and is it possible if I wanna do my recurrent with you sir?

Here is my contact details
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +60192498698

I am looking forward for your feed back any soon.

Have a nice day

Iftitah787
11th Jan 2016, 19:26
Have you done your IPC in SZB?

Iftitah787
16th Jan 2016, 23:33
Hello sir, ive read one of your reply and you said that you are FAA CFII and live in malaysia. I am Iftitah Baharudin and also live in malaysia. I graduated as a certified CPL back in the states.

I havent flown since i graduated and I really would like to do my recurrent.
Are You still live in malaysia and is it possible if I wanna do my recurrent with you sir?

Here is my contact details
Email: [email protected]

I am looking forward for your feed back any soon.

Have a nice day

PrayAviation
5th Jul 2019, 07:14
Hello,

Sorry for the late join in this thread. I am a little puzzled by your question and some of the answers because it gives me an impression that you are looking to fly in Asia with your FAA PPL. From what I know, whichever country you wish to fly in, you will need to conform by that country's civil aviation authority by doing a conversion or validation (if their regulations allow for foreign license conversion). After you have done a conversion to the local PPL, you can fly the locally registered aircraft there by joining a flying club or getting your own plane (probably the former!).

The only reason why you will need an N-registered and CFI to do your flight review or IPC is to refresh your FAA PPL, which is redundant in the case of the above because you would have already converted to the local PPL and will need to conform to the local regulation for renewal.

Hope I have made sense above! Thanks

C.R.A.F.T
3rd May 2020, 13:54
I'm not so sure that that is entirely correct that you need to convert your FAA license to that of the host country where the plane is located, prayaviation.

Given that one is an FAA certificate holder you are allowed to fly a N tail no matter where it is. It's the equivalent of flying US to mexico or the Bahamas. One wont need to convert their license to do that flight, bear in mind you need a radio telephony license for flights outside the US.

I believe you are perfectly within your rights to fly an N-tail aircraft wherever it is located in the world without converting your license. Simply because it's an american registered plane and is under the FARs. So is your certificate.

If you want to fly a plane in a different country that isnt an N -tail. You will almost always have to convert your license to the country where the plane is registered.

Nowhere in the far/aims says one needs to do an IPC in a N-tail. As long as you meet the requirements set out in the PTS you're good. It does however need to be done by a CFII.

PrayAviation
4th May 2020, 13:53
Agreed CRAFT, my bad. With regards to his question, if the intent is to gain long term experience, unless there is ready and easy access to N-registered aircraft, I think it should be more practical to convert to a local license and fly with a local flying club.

There is an FAA flight school in Guam called Sky Guam Aviation where they have Cessnas for rental.