PDA

View Full Version : Airbus FCOMs

Dusthog
2nd May 2014, 08:42
Im updating my private flightbag, and apparently Airbus decided to change the chapters of the FCOMs again. How long has the A320 been in operation now, about 30 years? And still the guys at Airbus cant make up their minds about the manuals :ugh:
And to make things more complicated for pilots they also change names of things, ex Unrated N1 Mode to Degraded N1 Mode :D

Capn Bloggs
2nd May 2014, 09:44
Ever heard of a wheel? :}

nitpicker330
2nd May 2014, 11:52
Mmmmmmm and the MEL .......fun for the whole family:ugh:

tubby linton
3rd May 2014, 15:42
Dusthog, can you elaborate more on the changes that you have noticed? Are you referring to the use of Abn, Pro etc

Dusthog
3rd May 2014, 16:28
Hey !

When I started on the A320 eight years ago we had FCOM 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Then it changed to FCOM 1 GEN DSC, FCOM 2 PRO, FCOM 3 LIM OEB FCB PER.

And now it's FCOM 1 GEN, FCOM 2 DSC, FCOM 3 PRO, FCOM 4 LIM OEB FCB, FCOM 5 PER.

The last change was done a month or two ago.
I guess it's the same for all operators of the A320.

tubby linton
3rd May 2014, 17:23
That is how our company fcoms are labelled. The difficulty I find is that we operate a diverse fleet of 320/1 and there are multiple similar pages in the manuals for each variant.

compressor stall
3rd May 2014, 21:45
Interesting. I suspect the "new" labeling change is a company thing. It's not on FCOMs I'm familiar with.
Most have just GEN DSC PRO LIM ORB PER TDU chapters.

Once your company goes Flysmart on iPad for documents you'll never go back. Love it. And Tubby it gets rid of model confusion as you enter with the model and rego and it just returns those pages.

tubby linton
3rd May 2014, 22:07
The problem is where to start when you are converying onto type. We do not have a basic aircraft to learn and then try and understand the differences between the sub variants. We do not get the fcom as a paper copy , neither are we provided with a company ipad to study the documents on. I could pay to print the manual but it is 8000+ pages and all of the diagrams have an awful dove grey background which does not print very well.
What is needed for us is a manual of a basic 320 and a basic 321 plus a manual of differences for the sub variants.

esvdx
4th May 2014, 15:14
Guessing here... But isn't JK the mythical base aircraft you speak of? Worked for my conversion. Then just studied the relevant A321 differences... Granted some of the new flashy aircraft have muddied the waters recently.

tubby linton
4th May 2014, 16:25
esvdx there is no aircraft specific manual on our company document server.

compressor stall
4th May 2014, 21:27
You don't have to memorize the manuals.

You just have to be able to know where stuff is.

MD83FO
6th May 2014, 15:00
can you please specify the changes, i don't have access to the new FCOM