PDA

View Full Version : Bumped by EasyJet

Akrotiri bad boy
2nd May 2014, 08:16
Grrrr, nash, nash

Simple flight yesterday LGW - EDI 14:25. Turn up at 12:30 to be faced with the mother of all queues. Calmly read book whilst pushing bag along to the head of the queue. That's when it all went Pete Tong.
An extremely bored ticket clerk called over a manager who dropped in to auto mode, Sir this, Sir that, etc who explained as we here already know that EasyJet deliberately overbook their flights, he continued; "It's our right to as it is legal to". Furthermore it was my fault for not booking in on line, the fact that I'd been offshore mattered not a jot. Go and join that queue over there "Sir" and you'll get 250 Euros for your trouble. Well that queue was long enough to be subject to currency exchange rate fluctuations.

I chose to drive

Let's get this straight no amount of "Sirring" will ever make up for a lack of empathy and perhaps a modicum of sympathy.

Grrrr, nash, nash

fa2fi
2nd May 2014, 08:40
They overbook flights 'deliberately'. Well I doubt any airline accidentally over books a flight except during times of disruption. Its always a shame when this happens, although rare. I'd say fly another airline, but then again most scheduled airlines overbook so no matter who you fly with there's always a risk. It is a shame you ended up driving. I can imagine €250 was much consolation when you need to drive so far.

When I was at EZY very few flights actually went out with 156/180. I fly them now twice a week and thankfully have never been bumped. I alwys make sure I check in online as soon I know I'm definitely taking the flight and get to gate first.

mixture
2nd May 2014, 08:58
Pay peanuts, get monkeys. :cool:

Heathrow Harry
2nd May 2014, 10:52
" I doubt any airline accidentally over books a flight"

ho ho ho

They ALL do it - but deliberately and scientifically

They have mathematical models and computer programmes that tell them just how many they can overbook with (say) a 95% chance they won't have to bump anyone

The answer is to get there early and get your baggage checked in - really tough to bump you if they have to get yours out of the pile

ExXB
2nd May 2014, 11:13
From your description, ie length of the queue getting compensation, it sounds like they downgraded your aeroplane. Squeezy flies both A320s and A319s, the larger have 24 fewer seats.

HH, the success rate is much higher than 95%, closer to 99.95%.

Don't forget that's it's not just the airline that benefits, just think of the scores of passengers that are able to secure a booking on flights (unknown to them) that have already sold out. This is completely unmeasurable, but next time you are on a flight that is completely full, you may have secured your booking only because the flight was being oversold.

The regulation does require Squeezy to ask for volunteers, which they don't appear to have done in this instance. It's always better to find someone who is willing to give up their seat, in exchange for some benefit, than to involuntarily deny boarding.

fa2fi
2nd May 2014, 11:20
I'm pretty sure they would have asked for volunteers at some point. I got asked at the check in desk on British Scareways to take a flight 2 hours after my scheduled flight a few months back but I had a tight connection so had to decline. I'm not sure where easyJet ask but if it's a legal requirement, the easyJet will comply with all legalities. Having worked there before I know they are compliant. Or they were with every aspect that I was involved with any way.

Dont Hang Up
2nd May 2014, 11:26
They ALL do it - but deliberately and scientifically

They have mathematical models and computer programmes that tell them just how many they can overbook with (say) a 95% chance they won't have to bump anyone

The answer is to get there early and get your baggage checked in - really tough to bump you if they have to get yours out of the pile

For an airline that sells fully flexible tickets it is somewhat understandable. No-show means no cash for the seat, and overbooking is a way of mitigating that.

For a LoCo the seat is paid for. Overbooking is just greed - getting paid twice for the same seat.

fa2fi
2nd May 2014, 11:30
But easyJet sell flexible tickets too. Shouldn't it be the same? Like a legacy, eJ sells non refundable seats as well as flexible tickets. I fail to see how they're greedy, but a legacy isn't despite them both overselling flights?

Malone
2nd May 2014, 12:17
It seems to me as if EZY couldn't get any volunteers or just hadn't bothered. The attitude of the supervisor seems to indicate that they hadn't bothered.
We always used to ask for volunteers very early on and generally got them (it all depends how you ask, I found). If the flight was early in the morning, we would sometimes ring people the evening before (if we knew that flight would definitely "bust".) That actually worked quite well as people were generally quite amenable to an extra lie-in, effectively earning the compensation while still asleep!!
With regards to over-booking, we were told by the finance people that it did actually contribute to the company's profitability.

Akrotiri bad boy
2nd May 2014, 12:33
Perhaps EZY were hoping my acceptance of E250 would equate to volunteering to be bumped. However being told to; "go and stand in that queue", didn't really cut it with me, the last time I was told to do that resulted in me terminating my already erratic school attendance pattern.

The potential time wasted in yet another queue at the mercy of another "sirring" employee was balanced against taking control of my day and buckling down to a 9 hour drive.

Sure, I walked away and can't expect any recompense. Sure, I got home dog tired. But at least I was at the controls:ok:

Heathrow Harry
2nd May 2014, 16:35
ExXB - I know - although no-one ever actually publishes the numbers so we have no idea

Having been bumped a few times I don't moan - I just argue for the best deal I can get get.... and if you don't rave but show you know what you are talking about they can be very helpful

Once did very well when SQ bumped me in Singapore............... the compensation went a long way to pay for the whole trip AND I had an extra day paid for in the Lion City - tragic, tragic.......... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ExXB
3rd May 2014, 07:37
Akrotiri,
The compensation is not lost, you are not required to stand in a queue to wait for your money. For €250 it is worth the cost of a stamp for you to write to squeezie and ask for it. You are also entitled to a refund of your fare, and taxes and charges.

The queue was likely as long as it was because they were attempting to rebook as well as pay compensation.

GrahamO
3rd May 2014, 15:03
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Its actually that monkeys like peanuts so its hardly surprising that the complaints come from people who buy peanuts and expect much much more.

Akrotiri bad boy
3rd May 2014, 17:14
ExXB

Thanks for that, I've calmed down now having quaffed a few ales. We all know overbooking takes place but I couldn't do with the half baked excuses and being lied to as to why I'd failed to secure what I'd paid for. The supervisor insisted it was my fault for not checking in on-line. Does that mean that every other one of the 156 or so passengers had checked in on-line? Or was I just the 157th mug to turn up that day? Just tell me the truth Mr Supervisor.

As regards the refund, even with the exorbitant cost of a stamp I think I'll pursue it. Have you any ideas as to which squeezy dept I should aim at? EasyCompo perhaps?

Thanks for your help.

jetset lady
3rd May 2014, 19:02
Akrotiri bad boy,

The below link details exactly what you are entitled to and how to claim. (As said, €250 for being bumped off of a domestic flight.) It also includes direct links for claims to the relevant airlines, including easyJet. I hope that is of some use to you.

Flight Delay Compensation: Get up to £500 per person - Money Saving Expert (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays#howget)

mad_jock
4th May 2014, 04:30
Funny enough I have never actually paid for a ticket to the US the 6 times I have been. And with work I have made a profit on them as well.

The best one was a BA flight which they gave me $500 to jump on a TP from Orlanda to Miami then pickup up a German TUV flight to DUS which was where I was going anyway. The return flight cost $420 and involved a 5 hour wait in LGW or LHR.

So apart from the manky black bread and pickles for in flight catering I made 80 bucks flying to the US and back and arrived 6 hours before I was scheduled to which meant I could catch the bus and train to my final destination instead of having to get a taxi.

Oh and I had just been hour building so the extremely bumping TP trip wasn't really an issue until they served up the rolls and I went for the salami and stinky cheese option. Cracked open the packet and you could hear the sick bags getting extensively used in a wave going back down the cabin as the smell wafted back. Plus point was though they gave me 3 packets of them as I was the only one eating and that did instead of the black bread and pickle on the TUv flight.

ExXB
4th May 2014, 08:15
I don't recommend using an 'agent' to pursue your claim. They are no more likely to be successful and they will charge you a fee.

Of course if the airline is being difficult, then use an agent.

jetset lady
4th May 2014, 09:18
As far as I can see, no-one has suggested using an agent, ExXB.

Phileas Fogg
4th May 2014, 13:31
I'd happily accept 250 Euros not to fly with Easyjet, to not fly with Ryanair I'd accept 50 cents :)

Cymmon
4th May 2014, 18:35
Are you saying Ryanair are bad? :}

Ancient Observer
5th May 2014, 16:51
Phileas,

You are mean. I have accepted nothing to not fly with Motormouth's airline.