PDA

View Full Version : Instructing

dan296
19th Nov 2001, 11:40
Hi everyone, i have recently decided that when i am 18 and i have completed my A-Levels ( im 16 1/2 at the moment), i am going to obtain my ppl in amercica. A pilot who lives near me became a flying instructor and i was wondering what experience you need to obtain your instructors license. Also i would be very grateful if someone ould explain to me how you build up your flying time while instructing? Could anyone also tell me how much it would actually cost for the instructors rating. Many thanks.
p.s. what are the best schools in america?

RVR800
20th Nov 2001, 18:01
Hi

Hope this helps
Speak to the pilot you know, ask him as well

>i am going to obtain my ppl in amercica
Details from WH Smiths
Pilot Magazine
or Flyer Classified ads

>Also i would be very grateful if someone >ould explain to me how you build up your >flying time while instructing?

The hours count as pilot in command when instructing even though your student is
flying

>Could anyone also tell me how much it would >actually cost for the instructors rating.

WH Smiths
Pilot Magazine
or Flyer
Classified ads will show how much it will cost you for

FAA PPL/IR/CPL/CFI/CFII and then to work
for 2 years

p.s. what are the best schools in america?

The ones that offer at J-1 Visa i believe?

dan296
21st Nov 2001, 01:35
Well thanks a lot-i know how much it costs to obtain a ppl, but thats about it really. I only really know the basics about the qualifications. So do you know the minimum qualifications needed to become an instructor. What do you do after you ppl , also what is a visa - 1? Im still fairly confused!Many thanks though.

Matthewjharvey
21st Nov 2001, 01:47
Obtaining ratings and instructing in the US is a great way of obtaining experience. Many schools in the US offer J-1 visas which are valid for two years and allow you instruct in the US after you obtain FAA licenses. A typical package from 0 hours to Commercial/Instrument/Instructor ratings will set you back about 25000 dollars (about 18000 quid) and will typically take 6-9 months. For the remainder of the J-1 period you can obtain a position anywhere in the states as an instructor and you could build up to 1500 hours of flight time.
The big drawback of this is that upon expiry of the visa you have to return and obtain JAR licenses which will set you back another 20000 quid!
In my opinion it is worth doing it this way, the experience is invaluable but the savings overall are minimal.

Hope this helps, if you have any further queries I will be happy to assist.