PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training (BCFT)

Transsonic2000
1st May 2014, 18:00
Hi,

are there any folks on here who can comment on the above mentioned flight school, especially the ATP ground school (full time residential)? Perhaps any former students, that'd be great.

Currently I'm already enrolled in a distance leaning course but I'm unhappy with the entire situation and considering switching to full time.

On the BCFT website it says that the entire course, including taking all 14 exams can be done in as little time 7 month? Which I have to admit kinda stunned me! Perhaps there are folks around here who can either confirm or deny this.

The website says that the full time course costs around 4k, including all the study material (books, CRT5, CBT etc.) are there any additional costs which one must consider, except the CAA exam fees, of course - and how much would that be?

I'd also need accommodation, it says that BCFT provides non-locals a room in nearby Hotel, which is owned by BCFT. How is that and how much does it cost, since I bevel it's certainly not included in the course fee.

Is it possible to get around without having a car, regarding grocery shopping, doing the laundry etc.?

Thanks for reading and would be great to, perhaps, get any firsthand accounts from former or even present students.

RTN11
2nd May 2014, 15:32
Ex-student from many moons ago, but from what I remember

On the BCFT website it says that the entire course, including taking all 14 exams can be done in as little time 7 month? Which I have to admit kinda stunned me! Perhaps there are folks around here who can either confirm or deny
this.

Yep, it's just a six month course. You do the exams in two sittings, so three months full time study, then half the exams, three more months study then the rest of the exams. The groudschool was usually something like 0830 - 1630, and you would then need to be putting in a couple of hours self study of an evening to be getting decent grades.

The website says that the full time course costs around 4k, including all the study material (books, CRP-5, CBT etc.) are there any additional costs which one must consider, except the CAA exam fees, of course - and how much would that be?

When I did it, it didn't include the CRP-5 or any CBT, just the books and the lessons. The instructors were all great and really knew their stuff, they would all take the time to sit down face to face one on one when there was stuff you were struggling with, and this is what I felt I was paying for over a distance learning course.

The exams were around £65 each, but I'd imagine they've gone up. You'll find the price on the CAA website - scheme of charges.

I'd also need accommodation, it says that BCFT provides non-locals a room in nearby Hotel, which is owned by BCFT. How is that and how much does it cost, since I bevel it's certainly not included in the course fee.

They didn't have a hotel when I was there, but I seem to remember an agreement with a caravan park.

Is it possible to get around without having a car, regarding grocery shopping, doing the laundry etc.?

The airport is rather in the middle of nowhere, tough without a car, it's far nearer Christchurch than Bournemouth, it's actually Hurn airport that has been renamed to make it sound better. I guess you could get lucky and make friends with a fellow course member who is staying near you and has a car.

PPRuNeUser0173
2nd May 2014, 15:42
Its a good school with an excellent reputation for both ground and flight training. Friendly Instructors will give you as much help as you want. They own a hotel locally and I am sure you can get lifts in to the airport from fellow students that are staying there. Alternatively they have an accommodation list if the hotel doesn't suit.

F4C
2nd May 2014, 16:09
Finished there last year. When I did the ground school I did it in 2 sittings (7 exams in each) but I believe they've since changed the way they run it and now do they do it in 3 sittings with a break in-between to do some hours building.
Our notes were all on paper when I was there but I think they're now moving towards having it electronically given the increase in iPad (etc.) ownership in recent years. As someone said previously, the airport is a bit off the public transport grid but lifts from the hotel shouldn't be hard to arrange, or if you're fit you could cycle.

Exams are £70 each plus you'll need extra for transport and accommodation at Gatwick, Oxford or Shuttleworth. CRP5 wasn't included when I was there but can't comment now as it may have changed.

Best advice, get in touch and ask for the latest brochure and even better, arrange a visit and get a feel for it. They'll do their best for you and if you put the effort it and work hard there's no reason you won't succeed. Drop us a PM if you want more info.

Transsonic2000
3rd May 2014, 00:15
Many thanks to all for your advice and comments. It's very much appreciated!

I guess I'll get in touch with BCFT and talk to them and see what they say. My main objective is to get done with the theory as soon as possible, don't need a brake for hour building since I already hold a FAA CPL/IR as well as an Instructor license. The thing which I like about the BCFT concept is that they brake the exams into three chunks which makes the studies and sitting the exams much more manageable and probably also a bit less stressful.

paco
3rd May 2014, 07:19
Highly recommended - PL cares about his students.

CABUS
3rd May 2014, 15:04
BCFT was great, I went there 8 years ago and at the time there were a few problems with the manuals however I understand this has changed and they are continuing to grow from strength to strength. The instructors cared deeply into the success of all their students and regularly put in study classes and personal tuition to ensure all succeeded, even me.

I believe they now have a hotel, or some sort of a deal with a hotel. When I trained they did not, I stayed in a fantastic B&B that took only guys who were doing flight training, it was located near the Curlew pub near the end of the rwy. :O BCFT used to have a list of local B&B's which could be of some help.

All the best in your decision and I hope it all works out.

Lightning Mate
3rd May 2014, 16:28
paco,

PL is no longer CGI - it's TS.

paco
3rd May 2014, 16:54
oops :) Haven't seen him for while!

jenconway
15th Mar 2018, 17:20
Hello all,

I am considering BCFT to complete CPL, ME/IR training - does anyone have any feedback or comments from recent training with the school?

Thanks