PDA

View Full Version : Heroin

Saintsman
1st May 2014, 18:56
With news that the Geldof girl was probably killed by heroin, it does make me wonder what makes people try it in the first place given that just about everyone knows that it's addictive and unlikely to do you any good at all.

I can understand that people will try a bit of marijuana, but the opiates and derivatives have such a bad press I can't imagine anyone thinking that it really is a good idea to try it. Many do though...

Mind you, I've never felt the need to try drugs (alcohol excepted). Maybe that's because I've always disliked smoking and smoking weed is usually the first experience of using drugs?

probes
1st May 2014, 19:04
So, you have felt the need to try alcohol? - even though one wonders "what makes people try it in the first place given that just about everyone knows that it's addictive and unlikely to do you any good at all". :p

angels
1st May 2014, 19:10
Nail on head probes.

Most heroin addicts don't inject. They chase the dragon or smoke it. Injection generally starts quite a way into addiction.

I know at least three functioning heroin addicts in the City, there are many, many more judging by the 0600 run in a certain car park.....:eek:

SOPS
1st May 2014, 19:11
Two years ago I had a very large operation. I was given painkillers, the name escapes me now, but the doctor told me...this is a close to legal heroine as it gets.

It was bliss....the pain was gone, and I spent hours viewing strange shapes on the ceiling.

But, would I go there everyday...no way.

SpringHeeledJack
1st May 2014, 19:20
I've known a few users of Heroin who for the most part seemed normal, they financed their addiction from their wages so were not living a life of criminality, in fact they had rather good lifestyles all told. Issues concerning family, success, self-worth and on and on caused them to succumb to the fuzzy warm feeling that the dragon gave them, only to be bitten afterwards with it's crazily addictive nature.

I've met way too many from good backgrounds who have been neglected emotionally by their parents who were emotionally absent during childhood and such drugs give them a sense of control ironically though it comes with a massive downside.

SHJ

Saintsman
1st May 2014, 19:25
So, you have felt the need to try alcohol? - even though one wonders "what makes people try it in the first place given that just about everyone knows that it's addictive and unlikely to do you any good at all".

Fair point Probes, but the majority of people who drink alcohol don't regret it. I don't think it's the same for heroin.

alisoncc
1st May 2014, 19:40
I've suffered from quite bad migraine headaches for as long as I can remember. Most effective treatment has been an opium derivative - Codeine.

Recollect buying plain Codeine tablets at a chemists on a London station in the late 1970's in a small brown glass bottle. Subsequently over the years I have bought and used a Paracetamol/Codeine combination which has also been effective. Sometimes can go three/four months without needing to take any at all. And when I do I only need a couple of tabs to fix up the migraine, no more.

All over-the-counter Codeine containing painkillers have been severely limited in Australia because of some apparent addictive aspects. Yet in the last thirty five years of very occasional use I do not believe that I have become addicted in any way. So what makes the difference between myself and others? There must be more to it than just being a user.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st May 2014, 19:54
Why try drugs?
Peer pressure, lack of hope, and arrogance (that you both deserve the sensation and can control it) are probably the main 3 reasons I would guess.
I suspect the first two were more likely in Peaches' case.

Blacksheep
1st May 2014, 19:58
I was given codeine tablets on discharge from hospital after they removed my tonsils and a large part of the associated lymph glands. They work very well for pain relief but I couldn't move my bowels for the two weeks I was on them. :eek:

There's simply no way to get addicted to something like that!

500N
1st May 2014, 19:58
Fox3

You can add "Escape from reality" to that list as well.

Xenophon
1st May 2014, 20:17
I may be misquoting here but, ISTR that Eric Clapton was asked (after he quit) why he had used it . The reply( allegedly) was "Because it makes you feel so f%$"*g good"
It's use in the "Music Business" is legendary, particularly among the jazz community of 50's & 60's . Many superb talents in this genre paid the ultimate price but, thankfully, some overcame their addiction

air pig
1st May 2014, 20:25
Diamorphine otherwise known as Heroin, is in fact a very good analgesic used correctly. I have given it to people in a coronary care unit intravenously when they are having severe chest pain whist having a Myocardial Infraction ( heart attack) or severe Angina. It calms the person down and takes away the fear that goes with the pain and the thought that they are about to die. Also very good for heart failure for the same reasons in combination with a diuretic, but also allows the patient to vaso-dilate slightly taking pressure off the heart. A side effect apart from calming the patient is reduces the amount of innate catecholamines being pumped into the system, which reduces the work that the heart has to undetake when frightened and in pain..

it is also used in spinal anaesthesia and trauma management, and in the care of those with severe pain of symptoms of discomfort for those who are terminally ill.

Unfortunately, the murderer Shipman, brought its use into disrepute despite its benefits. The UK as far as I am aware is the only country to allow the use of medical grade Heroin.

Look at BNF.org and you will see medical grade Heroin is actually very very cheap to buy.

500N
1st May 2014, 20:36
I think a lot of the plants it comes from are grown just across the water
from me in Tasmania. Fields and fields of the things.

racedo
1st May 2014, 21:36
Had a Gall bladder op 5 years ago, gave me gas and air..........wowwwwwww it really worked before op, morphine while awaiting and post op................really calming and then some serious pain killers and anti biotics. Sunday when anti biotics finished I immediately stopped pain killers.
Told a neighbour is a nurse about stopping immediately...........main comment was bet the dreams were weird...............climbing the walls more like it.
At check up with surgeon he just said, you supposed to come off gradually, not cold turkey, reading up side effects of the drug I happy I got off them quick.

Tankertrashnav
1st May 2014, 22:34
Lets be honest - I'm sure that for most of us who drink (and in my case have smoked) our first drinks and cigarettes were far from enjoyable experiences. I certainly nearly coughed my heart out after my first cigarette and initially I wished I could have a coke instead of the half of bitter I was drinking. Actually I've gone through alcohol and come out the other side, and these days a heavy night is half of bitter and a packet of crisps! Haven't smoked for 15 years either.

But as a young lad it's all peer pressure, and I just count myself lucky I never moved in circles where the pressure was to snort a line of cocaine or to smoke heroine,

VP959
1st May 2014, 22:47
There are worse drugs than heroin (diamorphine) in terms of addiction, Nicotine is probably as addictive, and undoubtedly more damaging in terms of numbers of deaths. Alcohol may even be more addictive and damaging.

My vote for the really seriously addictive stuff goes to benzodiazapines, which are becoming increasingly available on the "legal high" market.

These are seriously addictive, with really bad withdrawal effects, yet seem freely availablevia the web for ludicrously cheap prices.

tony draper
1st May 2014, 23:12
What about the idea that exposure to LSD made people smarter? or allowed them to tap into some part of their psych closed to them before hand.
:uhoh:
Of course it also turns other folk into cabbages

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 23:24
One man's Shaman and his 'herb' is another man's harbinger of death...

Pictured: British tourist, 19, found dead on remote Colombian road after tribal drug ritual went wrong | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613804/Pictured-British-tourist-19-dead-remote-Colombian-road-tribal-drug-ritual-went-wrong.html)

The Doors - The End - YouTube

Caco

obgraham
2nd May 2014, 00:31
As pointed out, heroin is a very effective painkiller. In my early training days at one hospital we routinely used "Heroin 5.4 mgs" as pain relief in labor. The manufacturer of the pharmaceutical grade version, however, abandoned the product. Very good drug, minimal sedative side effects. Better by far than the more "acceptable" Morphine.

Lonewolf_50
2nd May 2014, 00:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ch4O7wmuY

An interesting ode to Heroin, from someone who tried it and eventually left it behind him.

Cacophonix
2nd May 2014, 00:43
Excellent stuff (the music I mean). ;)

Not as good (the drug like the song is a derivative)...

Marianne Faithfull - Sister Morphine - YouTube

Caco

Pappa Smurf
2nd May 2014, 02:10
All seems strange to me.
She dies of an overdose---who gave it to her.
Surely there would be signs of it in the house for what ever way it was administered.

jolihokistix
2nd May 2014, 02:14
Rumours reported that the kit/paraphernalia was removed by someone.

ExXB
2nd May 2014, 09:16
Addiction is an illness, not a crime. It needs to be treated as such.

(including addiction to nicotine)

Tankertrashnav
2nd May 2014, 09:22
There are worse drugs than heroin (diamorphine) in terms of addiction, Nicotine is probably as addictive, and undoubtedly more damaging in terms of numbers of deaths.

You need to separate true addiction, (as in the case of heroin) from what might be called mental addiction, as in the case of nicotine.

In true addiction, the body has become so habituated to the substance that withdrawal can be extremely dangerous, and in some cases fatal.

Tough though it can be, nobody ever died from giving up smoking.

tony draper
2nd May 2014, 09:29
Yer but if I ever tried to give it up others might.:uhoh::rolleyes:

The SSK
2nd May 2014, 10:48
Mrs SSK is a fibromyalgia sufferer, and takes (what to me seem like) industrial amounts of morphine to control the pain.

It's in the nature of the condition that it can come and go, and we are shortly embarking on a total lifestyle change which I sincerely think may significantly ease her problems. I do wonder, though, what might be the consequences of cutting down/out the morphine.

air pig
2nd May 2014, 12:27
Mrs SSK is a fibromyalgia sufferer, and takes (what to me seem like) industrial amounts of morphine to control the pain.

It's in the nature of the condition that it can come and go, and we are shortly embarking on a total lifestyle change which I sincerely think may significantly ease her problems. I do wonder, though, what might be the consequences of cutting down/out the morphine.

Is she under a pain consultant, if not try for a referral and have a chat about very slow withdrawal by dose reduction and take it from there also find out if the hospital has a drug dependency service who can help. Substitution with something like Methadone is in my opinion replacing one kind of dependency with another. Her advantage is that she is prescribed the drug which is pure and a measurable quantity so making reduction far easier, rather than 'street crap'.

Good luck to her.

goudie
2nd May 2014, 12:47
When I was given morphine, after a major operation, I had some very fearful
experiences. Horrific dreams and illusions were quite frequent. I was quite relieved when I no longer needed it

Nicotine is probably as addictive

It is said that nicotine enmeshes one with the strength of a cobweb, until one tries to give it up. Then the cobweb becomes a heavy duty chain.

Took several tries but I managed to give it up for good, 25 years ago.

The SSK
2nd May 2014, 13:46
Apparently some jurisdictions are prescribing medical marijuana to fibromyalgia sufferers, as an alternative to morphine.

pigboat
2nd May 2014, 14:11
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10015637_857710507587721_606774029914769137_n.jpg

angels
2nd May 2014, 14:40
The Stranglers -- Golden Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7R7q1lSZfs&feature=kp

500N
2nd May 2014, 14:45
That's a song I haven't heard for years.

Tankertrashnav
2nd May 2014, 17:26
I always liked it but it was years before someone told me it was about drugs!

Led a sheltered life :O

(Oh yes, and like a load of other people I thought he was laying down with his "mancheros" until Google helped me out!)