PDA

View Full Version : Using a Brickwork pointing gun..advice please.

magpienja
1st May 2014, 17:41
Hi all...I'm going to have a go a pointing the gable end wall on my house,

Been looking at these type of pointing guns on youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ07VO3F3VU

I wonder are they as good and fast as they look or a waste of time,

Also do they use std building sand/cement or a special mix.

Nick.

Dushan
1st May 2014, 18:58
You may get in trouble with the leftie fluffers if you start pointing a gun.

ChrisVJ
1st May 2014, 20:12
Looks a little untidy to me, you'd still have to tool it.

Most pointing is 'struck' or 'tooled' so it either deflects the water away from the top of the brick or is concave to look nice. It's not difficult to push the mortar into the gap from the edge of a hawk with a pointing trowel or a flat tool. The real hard work is raking out the old stuff.

Usually the mortar is stiffer than shown in the film too. The applicator frankly looks a bit primitive, you'd think they would at least have a lever action like a caulking gun.

brickhistory
1st May 2014, 21:00
Finger off the trigger until clear of the holster and clothing, moving said finger into position as you point downrange at the target, keeping your focus on the threat while lining up the sights.

Oh, sorry, never mind...

Donkey497
1st May 2014, 21:04
Play it safe, but slower........, Just use a Hawk & Trowel.

Cremeegg
1st May 2014, 21:24
Just look at any building site or any jobbing brickie. If this sort of overgrown cake icing gun was any good they would use it. I've never seen them used either on site or by a jobbing brickie.

I have seen plenty demonstrated at trade shows but no one buys. Only ever sold at DIY shows.

As said before to get a decent finish you still have to tool the pointing to get it struck in the right manner.

Save your money for a nice cold beer when you've finished with the pointing trowel and hawk.

onetrack
2nd May 2014, 08:42
I've got the Aussie version, a Fretmasta, which is essentially just a length of PVC pipe with a flattened end for a nozzle.
It works well for fretted mortar repair. You can inject any standard cement or lime mortar mix.

Fretmasta Multi Function Mortar AND Grout Applicator Pointing Tool | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fretmasta-Multi-Function-Mortar-and-Grout-Applicator-Pointing-Tool-/231012137462)

However, the major sticking points are:

1. The mortar must be a good consistency, not too sloppy, nor too firm. Too firm and it's hard work pushing it out with the plunger. Too sloppy and it gets past the plunger seal.

2. Some plasticiser in the mix is important to aid "slipperiness", so that the mortar extrudes easily. Coarse-grained sand in the mortar will hinder easy extrusion as well, by producing drag (resistance) when you push on the plunger.

3. You still need to finish with a trowel. The injector just makes it much easier to get the mortar to penetrate deep into the gaps between the bricks.

UniFoxOs
2nd May 2014, 09:11
Yes, mortar has to be 100% right. I tried several times using an empty silicon tube and mastic gun. All I ever achieved was to squeeze all the water out of the mortar, leaving the tube filled with dry mortar.

Maybe they use a special plasticiser on demos, or get have the knowledge/experience to get exactly the right mix. I wouldn't pi55 about with one of these, I use a pointing trowel for putting it in, and a bricklayers trowel held upside down as a hawk. With a bit of practice you can soon wipe off a wedge-shaped lump of mortar on to your pointing trowel and insert it neatly into the joint.

If you are removing any amount of old mortar it is worth knowing that you can get 10mm wide tungsten carbide tipped discs for an angle grinder, or a 10mm dia cylindrical bit for a pistol drill.

SawMan
2nd May 2014, 10:23
I've spent a life in construction and never saw one of those. Maybe they work but if they worked better than the usual method, you can be sure the Pro's would be using the heck out of them- and they don't. Kind iof says it all. Masonry wiork is not my 'forte', but pointing with a flat trowel and a pointing trowel is easy, fast, and not too messy if the mix is right. Making the mix the p[roper consistency is the key, experiment with thicker then thin down with water till you get it right- easy. Save your money for the after-work refreshments, it will be better spent there :ok:

Lon More
2nd May 2014, 12:17
Hawk and trowel. piece of copper tubing with a bend in it. By the time you've faffed about loading the gun with mortar of the proper constituency the traditional method would see you seated in the pub on your second pint

Dushan, obviously your meds aren't working anymore. Time for electro shock therapy?:}

Background Noise
2nd May 2014, 18:44
I've tried one of these - not quite the same but similar. It was **** useless.

Faithfull FAIPOINTING Cement and Mortar Gun Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Went back to doing it with a trowel.

magpienja
3rd May 2014, 08:34
Ok guys I get the picture....by coincidence I saw 2 guys pointing up a wall yesterday...all of 50-75mtrs long using pointing trowels

I stopped and asked if I could pick there brains...they where very helpful and said more or less what most have said on here...you will never see a professional using one and the mix needs to be very wet to flow...

As far as I know a wet mix is a weak mix,

So it looks like its a trowel for me...thanks for the input guys.