PDA

View Full Version : Views on Central Flight Training at Tatenhill

BARThompson
1st May 2014, 16:01
All,

I am looking to do my IR next year (likely to go down the CBM route assuming it is available by then). I live in South Manchester. I am aware that Ravenair at Liverpool do this, but someone recently told me to drive the extra distance and go to Central Flight Training at Tatenhill and highly recommended them. I am minded to follow this advice but wanted to get other views on them if possible.

Anyone flown with them or have any insight??

Many thanks

fa2fi
1st May 2014, 16:06
I finished up my FI rating a few years back just after they had started. I found they provided excellent value, were flexible and had me completed within a few weekends. The facilities were very adequate, instruction was tailored to my needs and Tatenhill is great to operate out of. I've never flown with Ravenair so can't compare but I certainly rate CFT highly. Emails were always answered promptly too.

octavian
1st May 2014, 16:54
Have you thought about JD Aviation at Hawarden (Chester)? Easy access from South Manchester along the M56. They have a well equipped PA28R-201T Arrow and PA34-200T Seneca 2 as well as a good FNPT2, operating from a fully IFR capable airfield with NDB, ILS and full, and very good, ATC and close access to CAS, all of which is ideal for IR training.

I did both my CPL and IR there about 5 years ago and was impressed by the standard of instruction and the way they worked with me on the timing of my training, which I did on a part time basis, although I know others have achieved it with JD on a more intensive basis.

OneHundredAbove
1st May 2014, 17:47
Same here, I literally just finished my MEIR with JD at JD Aviation at Hawarden at the weekend. The airfield is ideally placed for someone living in the south Manchester area as I do as well.
I also did my CPL and ME with him, starting on the Arrow and then moving onto to Seneca mentioned in the previous post. The sim is a great benefit and way to save cost on the IR as well.
As I work full time I also did my flying part time and John and his instructors were very flexible and were able to accommodate my requirements to fit in with my work commitments.
I did my PPL at Barton a few years and a number of the guys I know from there did the commercial training with JD and recommended him very highly to me, so I knew from the start where I wanted to do my CPL/MEIR training and I haven't been disappointed.
I have heard people say that he's the best instructor you'll find, I don't have that many to compare him to (nor have I had any instruction at either Tatenhill or with Ravenair and so I can't compare with them) but I certainly haven't regretted my choice.
Definitely worth at the very least, a visit.
Good luck!

taybird
1st May 2014, 18:31
I did my CPL in 2012 through another school but supported by CFT. As a result when I did my MEP and IR last year the decision to go with them was easy. Towards the end of summer 2013 I did my FI with them as well and would happily recommend them to anyone. They are very professional, adaptable and do a great job with honesty and integrity.
I did the FI assessment on the Tuesday, went to Gatwick on Thursday, and was offered a job instructing the next day on the back of the reputation of the quality of their instruction.

Mickey Kaye
2nd May 2014, 15:13
CFT are excellent

Jimmyjerez
3rd May 2014, 07:30
Top guys all round

ariel
8th May 2014, 18:22
Central Flight Training, (Craig, Alan and Stuart), are one of the most professional and ethical training establishments around.

You will get a top class service from these guys - if you want the best, give them a try!

langshanks
9th May 2014, 14:18
Did my IR (and loads of other stuff) with Alan at Tatenhill. Simply can't recommend these guys too highly - all highly skilled and experienced career instructors, in it for the long term. Don't cut any corners, totally ethical - like the others have said. I would always drive the extra miles (and I think it probably works out cheaper anyway).
(Added) Forgot to say - they'll fit in with your timetable, really flexible.
And they're clearly doing it because they love it - that was nice.