PDA

View Full Version : The PC crowd strikes, this time it's Clarkson (again)

garp
1st May 2014, 12:30
Rather odd really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617363/Jeremy-Clarkson-denies-making-racist-comments.html

http://i57.tinypic.com/1zdrq1h.png

tony draper
1st May 2014, 12:51
How else can you pick someone to be in your footy team in the park,eeny meeny miny mo is the only fair way,tiz a choosing rhyme kids have up here used or centuries,**** the PC arsoles.
:rolleyes:

Capetonian
1st May 2014, 12:58
More PC pricks trying to dictate to people. My neighbours had a nasty vicious thieving cat which was as black as the ace of spades. I called it Mugabe. I was 'racist'. Fuggem.

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 13:07
Was on a conference call with a mixed bunch of nationalities including a team based out in JAX (USA) a couple of years back. One of my South African colleagues emphasised his point about an issue that had been discovered by saying "and the Nigger in the woodpile is...". Cue absolute silence from the States and a follow up call later to me requesting that I admonish the un-PC one who was blithely unaware of the consternation he had caused out there in the orange growing state... ;)

Caco

Loki
1st May 2014, 13:09
I find 'tis best to emulate W C Fields in this instance and refer instead to "the Ethiopian in the fuel supply"

tony draper
1st May 2014, 13:16
I read somewhere that the most ancient phrase one can possibly utter is eeny meeny miny mo,it dates back to proto language counting systems.
:)

Sygyzy
1st May 2014, 13:18
Best definition of PC that I've heard.....Trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.

S:eek:

Sop_Monkey
1st May 2014, 16:02
This PC rubbish is getting beyond stupid. Let's all give up and go home.

Bah Bah :mad: sheep have you any wool? Yes sir yes sir 3 bags full....... "Come on son we're goin' home."

finfly1
1st May 2014, 16:09
Most of the US media is braying after an 88 yr old man with a mixed race girlfriend who secretly taped their private conversations and released it to 'da meeja'. Words cannot describe my contempt for such behavior, but the uproar (to the top again, a la Trayvon) has been enormous.

Point is, I do not know what laws, if any, he broke. Cost him two and a half million bucks so far.

KBPsen
1st May 2014, 16:51
So far it's not against the law to be a dick. Which Clarkson should be thankful for.

Capetonian
1st May 2014, 16:52
For years I've used the expression 'as happy a kaffir with a Barclaycard'. It slipped out during an excruciatingly dull meeting and I was admonished by a white South African for its use. Ironically, later that day I heard him telling an offensive racial joke over the phone when he thought nobody else was in earshot.

redsnail
1st May 2014, 17:08
So someone's in a huff about something Clarkson allegedly said on an unaired piece of television?

Unaired?? So who's upset then? :ugh:

Loki
1st May 2014, 17:20
Redsnail.....well quite, though when Carol Thatcher made a remark in the green room, well away from the cameras, it was enough for the BBC to stop future guest appearances on The One Show.

SilsoeSid
1st May 2014, 18:10
Anyone remember the Gimp scene from a pulp fiction?
The part where the white bloke does the whole Eeeny meeny miney mo ... rhyme?

Bring Out the Gimp - Pulp Fiction (9/12) Movie CLIP (1994) HD - YouTube (http://youtu.be/S8kPqAV_74M)

I don't recall any outcry when that was released or when it won the Oscars, BAFTA's, Cannes Palme d'Or, Golden Globe Awards etc etc.

Django Unchained on the other hand was all in context so was acceptable .... wasn't it !

Django Unchained Every N-word - YouTube (http://youtu.be/cwkAFYdoADI)

Anyone mention Blazing Saddles?

Blazing Saddles - Nobody move or ... - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Z_JOGmXpe5I)

500N
1st May 2014, 18:18
They needed another headline with Clarkson and someone provided
a hint of one that they could run with.

tony draper
1st May 2014, 18:26
Strange isn't it that words if uttered in public a couple of decades ago would have earned you a hour in front of the magistrate are now shrieked at each other by toddlers in the streets and fill the scripts of tv dramas and quiz shows and are considered parts of everyday speech now,yet a few words not even particularly obscene if even uttered in secret and are overheard get the fluffy PC ratbastards in a outrage.
:confused:

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 18:52
The Mekon is the greenest of all comic villains...:ok:

He may have been green but he was a black hearted villain...

Caco

Capetonian
1st May 2014, 19:53
Jo Brand is a staunch Labour Party supporter.Another reason why I can't stand the bloody woman, as if her appearance, voice, accent, dress sense, and brand of 'humour' weren't enough.

WARNING : If you don't know what she looks and sounds like, don't Google/YouTube her unless you want an emetic experience!

500N
1st May 2014, 19:56
Cape

I just had to look her up to see who you were talking about.

I wish you had posted a warning, I did not need to see
that type of image this early in the morning.

Drag queen was the first thing that sprung to mind !!!

Capetonian
1st May 2014, 20:05
Warning duly posted, 500N, to stop others from suffering!

Apparently she is not a lesbian (could have fooled me .....) and is married with offspring.

500N
1st May 2014, 20:08
That last part of your post just makes it worse :rolleyes:

The unthinkable has now become thinkable :p

vulcanised
1st May 2014, 20:10
If you don't know what she looks and sounds like, don't Google/YouTube her unless you want an emetic experience!

Luckily (unluckily) I do and I think I would find that Mekon a better option.

OFSO
1st May 2014, 20:16
A jocular use of a form of the rhyme by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant, encouraging passengers to sit down so the plane could take off, led to a 2003 lawsuit charging the airline with intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Two versions of the rhyme were attested in court; both "Eeny meeny miny mo, Please sit down it's time to go" and "Pick a seat, it's time to go". The passengers in question were African American and stated that they were humiliated due to what they called the "racist history" of the rhyme. A jury returned a verdict in favor of Southwest and the plaintiffs' appeal was denied.

tdracer
1st May 2014, 20:27
"Racist" has become just a simple way for the Left to shutdown any sort of rational and/or useful discussion of a number of meaningful issues (not the least of which is being in any way critical of Obama). :mad: In fact, come to think of it, politically correctness in general is largely just an effort to stamp down descent of any sort.

Clarkson has made a fortune, in part by being one of the least politically correct celebrities on TV. Good for him. :ok:

con-pilot
1st May 2014, 20:28
WARNING : If you don't know what she looks and sounds like, don't Google/YouTube her unless you want an emetic experience!

Too late. :{

500N
1st May 2014, 20:36
Con

I think we need to lament the passing of Slasher.

We have gone from Gorgeous, buxom ladies in skimpy bikinis
to what I would say are the depths of despair.

Maybe Cape should be suspended for invoking people to look her up ?

KBPsen
1st May 2014, 20:45
Clarkson has made a fortune, in part by being one... Clarkson is a dick, he's made a career out of being a dick, it's his schtick. Without it he would just be another pot-bellied middle aged man with a bald spot and bad teeth.

He's also being used by a lot of pot-bellied middle aged men with bald spots and bad teeth rationalizing their dickish behavior

Sop_Monkey
1st May 2014, 20:45
Big, bad Jo went up to the bar one evening at a charity do and ordered a Bacardi and coke. The barman looked her up and down from head to foot and asked, "would that be a diet coke madam?" :}

500N
1st May 2014, 20:49
KBPsen

That might be so, but he became bloody rich being like that.

I'd prefer to be rich like him than a poor PC no hoper :rolleyes:

spInY nORmAn
1st May 2014, 21:15
Political Correctness strives to impose innocuous mediocrity as the standard to which we must all aspire.

con-pilot
1st May 2014, 21:15
Clarkson is a dick, he's made a career out of being a dick, it's his schtick. Without it he would just be another pot-bellied middle aged man with a bald spot and bad teeth.

He's also being used by a lot of pot-bellied middle aged men with bald spots and bad teeth rationalizing their dickish behavior

Why do you think that, because he acts like Prince Philip?

By the way, I love Prince Phillip, he tells it like it is. :ok:

Caboclo
1st May 2014, 21:16
Wonder what the PC crowd will do when either religion or atheism becomes verboten. Racism is one of humanity's dumbest inventions, but freedom of speech is one of it's best.

500N
1st May 2014, 21:20
Spiny

Re "Political Correctness strives to impose innocuous mediocrity as the standard to which we must all aspire."

I'd like to correct you if I may.

Political Correctness strives to impose innocuous mediocrity as the standard to which we must all aspire and quite a few lower themselves to :rolleyes:

500N
1st May 2014, 21:20
Con

"By the way, I love Prince Phillip, he tells it like it is. :ok:"

:ok:

Agree and I think a lot of people like him for it !

G-AHNL
1st May 2014, 21:26
Gentlemen

Clarkson has made a fortune as an earlier contributor said on the back those of us that deem to pay our TV Licence, But it does not excuse him from being a rude overbearing know all, Who dresses as if he comes from a ghetto where they cannot afford to buy any decent clothes or even bother to have a occasional bath and comb his hair before a programme and his two mates are just as bad they bring the quality of TV down to the lowest level not showing any respect for the audience they are suppose to entertain.
I think one of the reasons I feel so strongly about this is his on going bad behaviour over the years ( I have never supported the labour party so let’s make no mistake about this ) but was horrified when he made those disgusting comments about George Brown only having one eye in an interview and seemed to make out it was something to joke about, I think this just shows what a un sympathetic and unfeeling person he is, I would like to see the BBC find someone who at least understands his subject and most importantly a person with some humility to other people not just self self self. I am just glad He is not someone who makes important decisions in the Aviation industry or we would all go down the pan. I think a rap on the knuckles is never enough we have all gone soft on this sort of bad behaviour.

500N
1st May 2014, 21:31
"I would like to see the BBC find someone who at least understands his subject and most importantly a person with some humility to other people not just self self self."

If the BBC did that, Top gear wouldn't be Top gear !

TG works because of who they are and how they are.

Change the people and I don't think the show would work as well
and one of the reasons the show in Aus didn't take off.

The other thing is, if people didn't like TG / him,
then why is it so popular ???????

vulcanised
1st May 2014, 21:33
why is it so popular

Because it's mostly mindless, like most of the people who watch it.

500N
1st May 2014, 21:36
Yes, valid point.

I don't watch it regularly and if I do, more by just happened to
hit on it than make of point of waiting for it.

con-pilot
1st May 2014, 21:59
There is a Top Gear in the US and yes, you have to look very hard to find it.

One reason it is so obscure, is that the History Chanel, which it is on and you have to look very hard to find that as well, took some 'gear heads' and are trying to turn them into TV/Entertainment personalities, where the BBC did it other way round. They took TV/Entertainment personalities, made them semi-expert drivers and knowledgeable about the auto industry.

If faux snobs* don't like the show, fine, shut up about it, go back to reading Dickens every night and stay a complete and total bore. :p

* More like the jealous types to me. :E

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 22:01
One can be a dick but one can aspire to be an intelligent charming one!

Despite the fact that Clarkson is clearly not a fool his aherence to the mores of the 17 year old adolescent boor become more boring than amusing 'boorish' as he gets older, richer and less relevant.

Decided I didn't much care for him when he started to spurt a load of fawning nonsense about his charming neighbour Rebecca Brookes.

Clarkson's 'witty aphorisms' are more middle aged tedium than fun these days... Time to call on Top Gear while you are still ahead chaps...!

Caco

500N
1st May 2014, 22:06
Caco

I do think you have a point there.

Quit while ahead ?

In the end, he might also take it one step to far, "jump the shark"
so to speak and tip the scales the other way, even with people
who like watching the show.

A bit like that chain store of popular cheap jewelery where
the owner kept saying it was cheap crap. All of a sudden it
dawned on customers and they stopped buying it !!!

Just my HO.

superq7
1st May 2014, 22:23
Best prog on TV, I love it but perhaps I'm mindless.

500N
1st May 2014, 22:26
Superq

It's a Bristol thing ;) :O

superq7
1st May 2014, 22:28
500, I resemble that remark :ok:

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 22:29
Superq7 is right. The production values are great and the whacky race trope still brings a smile to my jaundiced face but the laughs are becoming less and less as the flatulence and the presenters' egos (with the exception of Mr May) become too much to bear.

Caco

500N
1st May 2014, 22:33
You mention Mr May.

I couldn't give a damn how boring and flower powery he comes across,
that bastard got a full on flight in a U2 Spy plane, the full works.

Talk about Jealous.

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 22:38
He is the only pilot amongst the bunch which makes him more likeable by default... ;)

(that and his excellent presentation of programmes on old British toys and things that blokes should know - defusing bombs etc. - but probably don't know)...

Caco

con-pilot
1st May 2014, 22:39
It also must be remembered that 'Top Gear' is the most viewed/popular televison show in the world.

So I'd say that any chance of its demise is slim at least. But then again, the show is produced by a government organization, run by a bunch of uber PC liberals. :uhoh:

Hell, look at the 'Jay Leno Tonight' show in the US, he had the highest ratings by far above any competitor, but because he started telling too many Obama jokes, off the air the goes. Because NBC is run by the same type of uber so-called liberals.

So who knows.

500N
1st May 2014, 22:41
I didn't know he was a pilot.

And re "and things that blokes should know - defusing bombs etc. - but probably don't know"

I know how to make bombs, IED's and improvised items and blow things up,
courtesy of the Government, isn't that more important ? ;) :O

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 22:43
run by a bunch of uber PC liberals.

With a great love of the champagne and money that shows like Top Gear and our hard earned taxes (the licence) pay for...

It won't be fluffiness that brings the show to a halt believe me...!

Caco

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 22:46
I know how to make bombs, IED's and improvised items and blow things up, courtesy of the Government, isn't that more important ? ;)
:O

Strewth mate, do any of your Aussi neighbours know that?

"Sheilah I was going to invite that 500 fellah to the barbie but now I know he is a pyromaniac I am not so sure he won't blow up the lamb kebabs"! ;)

Caco

500N
1st May 2014, 22:47
Hard to believe the BBC produces such a non PC show !

500N
1st May 2014, 22:51
"Strewth mate, do any of your Aussi neighbours know that?"

Hell no !

PM sent.

Pappa Smurf
2nd May 2014, 01:40
Getting back to the racist crap----------whats in a name.They are nicknames developed over time.
Its not what you say ,but how you say it,usually with an extra word thrown in.
In Aussie rules football many have been in the shite for calling an abo (short for aborigine) a black c***,but they can call us a white c***.
The worlds gone mad------to many doogooders

cornish-stormrider
2nd May 2014, 04:35
rule one - nobody ties you up at gunpoint and forces you to watch top gear.

rule two - he has made more shows that just top gear - some of which have been bloody good.

rule three - i see we have a new troll - can I please take turns feeding him?

George Brown - mwah hah hah hah.
I suspect he means Gordon the Dim, the man who abolished Boom and, well boom. one out of two aint bad.

firking PC claptrap..... I have a policy with regards race - I hate everybody equally,

sitigeltfel
2nd May 2014, 05:38
A sincere and contrite apology...

lJBuvtMlCAY

Krystal n chips
2nd May 2014, 05:52
The location of that "apology" summates both the presenter, well all of the TG "presenters" in fact.... and the show itself..... perfectly.

However....

Jeremy Clarkson 'begs forgiveness' over N-word footage | Media | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-begs-forgiveness-n-word-top-gear)

It is, I suppose, quite understandable as to how a talented performer and comedienne, one Ms Brand, can cause such distress to those amongst us who have long term Freudian issues with erudite women...life can be so cruel for those so challenged.

cavortingcheetah
2nd May 2014, 06:09
In the States I have often heard black people use the word nigger amongst themselves, often as a conversational reference, sometimes as an insult. It's a word that has many nuances. One of my old ancestral diaries has an ancestor of mine working with black people running the Reading Railroad in the US during the Civil War. Were I to self fund a laboratory blood test and were that test to reveal that I had negro blood traces in my heritage, would it then be politically correct for me to refer to my own blood line using, in jocular form at least, the dreaded nigger word just as I have heard lots of others do? It seems that black on black the word conveys no umbrage so then given those conditions why should it in mine?

acbus1
2nd May 2014, 06:19
A Google white racist insults reveals more than a suggestion of hypocrisy to this white devil honky pale face. :rolleyes:

B Fraser
2nd May 2014, 06:34
I am just glad He is not someone who makes important decisions in the Aviation industry or we would all go down the pan

I totally agree. If JC was in a position of power......

We would not have scrapped the Harrier or Concorde.
Military aircraft would be fitted with extra guns.
We would have three viable armed forces using British aircraft.
People buying houses near airfields would be told to shut up or p*ss off.
Airport security would use profiling.
Airframe designers would have to make their products look interesting.
Live firing ranges would have sections for spectators.

On the other hand, perhaps he should run things.

sitigeltfel
2nd May 2014, 06:51
Erudite, origin...

"late Middle English: from Latin eruditus, past participle of erudire 'instruct, train' (based on rudis 'rude, untrained')."

Effluent Man
2nd May 2014, 06:55
I suppose I must have eclectic taste in comedians.I actually find Jo Brand quite funny.but I thought Bernard Manning was too.Now Michael McIntyre on the other hand...

tony draper
2nd May 2014, 07:06
She may well be a ghastly fluffist but I will allow she is a lady with considerable wit,ergo she may be spared when the great cull comes.:E

Effluent Man
2nd May 2014, 07:16
As an ex psychiatric nurse I guess that she has seen a bit of action unlike some of the more manufactured modern "comedians" like MM.I can only assume his family had connections with the meeja.

PTT
2nd May 2014, 07:16
List of ethnic slurs by ethnicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity)

Why do people get so upset about words which are not used in an offensive context?

tony draper
2nd May 2014, 07:27
My two favorites are Strap Hangers and Fog Breathers indicating London folks.

Capetonian
2nd May 2014, 07:30
You mean they don't have fog on the Tyne, Tony?

dF5xVnTo8gs

tony draper
2nd May 2014, 07:41
Tyneside folks were Pit Yackers and Bloody Backs in times past ( Bloody Backs from pitmen owning scarred backs from scraping same on the roofs of narrow coal seams)
Mankind has been using nicknames for people animals and things since we came down from the trees.

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd May 2014, 07:59
If faux snobs* don't like the show, fine, shut up about it, go back to reading Dickens every night and stay a complete and total bore. :p

* More like the jealous types to me. :E

Comes over crystal clear in many of the posts not only on this thread but on any other that mentions Clarkson. That folk don't like the show is one thing but the faux snob, love that term, petulance that accompanies that attitude is rather pathetic.

The guy has cornered the market and produces a product with a global appeal and makes squillions in the process which begs the question WHO has got it wrong?

The Guy with the TV Show being shown around the world whose pockets bulge with cash that his talents generate or the few detractors whose only contribution in their sad little lives is to continually write envious spite about most 'boy done good' types on web pages such as these :=

tony draper
2nd May 2014, 08:07
A more recent one for Australians is Pods or Podlonians from Antipodean,I dont think the Ring Bolt Passengers find Pods or Podlonian offensive do they?
:E

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2014, 08:50
Cacophonix;

He (James May) is the only pilot amongst the bunch which makes him more likeable by default.

Is that the only pilot amongst the bunch ... apart from the other one :ugh:

Capetonian
2nd May 2014, 08:55
I rate Jeremy Clarkson right up there with Prince Philip. The more politically incorrect they are, the more they piss people off and stir up controversy, the more I admire and respect them.

As for Top Gear, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, I think they've probably overdone it a bit, but it's still one of the best shows on TV.

barry lloyd
2nd May 2014, 09:37
Jeremy Clarkson? I can take him or leave him. What I do know is that many of the incidents on Top Gear are totally contrived, which is one reason why I no longer watch it.

Mr Clarkson's attitude towards the people of the IOM speaks volumes to me:

BBC News - Jeremy Clarkson loses Isle of Man land dispute (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-17867454)

Cacophonix
2nd May 2014, 09:39
apart from the other one :ugh:

Oh yes, but the other one flies helicopters...;)

Caco

Thomas coupling
2nd May 2014, 09:45
Does he care?
He owns TOP GEAR rights. Him and one of the producers. He sold the rights to the BBC for 14m last year and they (the BBC) pay him £1million/year to appear on his programme!!!
He could walk whenever he liked and doesn't need the ignomony of being 'fired'.

Having said that: I wish he would walk. The man is way way way past his shelf life and makes for a VERY bad advert for middle age man!

He is after all - a complete and utter prat in every sense of the word(s): speech/vision/example.

Nothing he says or does is funny or makes sense anymore - he has lost his way. Hammond is THE only one holding that programme together after Clarkson has decided what the content will be (which, 90% of the time is juvenile delinquency).

Re-arrange these letters: D I C K H E A D.

tony draper
2nd May 2014, 10:10
Really?,I think Hammond is the most boring one, but apparently the ladies like him.
Never been a trio or even pair of presenters who bounce off each other like those three and you just cant buy that at any price,it may well be scripted and contrive but they do that banter brilliantly.
:)

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd May 2014, 10:50
Does he care?
He owns TOP GEAR rights. Him and one of the producers. He sold the rights to the BBC for 14m last year and they (the BBC) pay him £1million/year to appear on his programme!!!
He could walk whenever he liked and doesn't need the ignomony of being 'fired'.

Having said that: I wish he would walk. The man is way way way past his shelf life and makes for a VERY bad advert for middle age man!

He is after all - a complete and utter prat in every sense of the word(s): speech/vision/example.

Nothing he says or does is funny or makes sense anymore - he has lost his way. Hammond is THE only one holding that programme together after Clarkson has decided what the content will be (which, 90% of the time is juvenile delinquency).

Re-arrange these letters: D I C K H E A D.

Whilst perfectly entitled to your opinion clearly not everyone thinks as you do, rearrange these letters EYNV :ok:

MagnusP
2nd May 2014, 11:25
You mean they don't have fog on the Tyne, Tony?

Well there was David Ginola playing for Newcastle. Or was that Frog on the Tyne?

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2014, 11:29
Cacophonix

Oh yes, but the other one flies helicopters... ;)

Which is more than a lot of people here can do :p

simon brown
2nd May 2014, 12:04
This "racism" lark has gone too far..

I suggest people look up the Oxford Dictionary definition of racist before bandying this term about.

People use it these days when they have lost and argument or cant articulate a reasonable response - The Labour party have been doing it for years..

Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln that said "best keep quiet and be thought of as a fool, rather than open your mouth and confirm you are one"

As for Clarkson and Top Gear..I think they are both tired and washed up now although I find myself agreeing a lot with what he says

Used to be my compulsive Sunday night viewing...not any more

B Fraser
2nd May 2014, 12:23
The lovely Reddo refers to ockers as "shackledraggers". My ocker B-I-L describes some of his countrymen as "bogans". As a "porridge-wog", I find it all adds to banter.

I will never be offended if it's someone's round and they ask what the porridge wog is drinking.

cattletruck
2nd May 2014, 12:31
The English dictionary needs too be rewritten to also describe words that are not just nouns, verbs, adjectives etc, but also whether they are NonPC. Not because it will make people more aware and politically correct resulting in an allegedly happy harmonious society, but because no other foreign language actually gives a sh!t about their own.

Flying High (Airplane Movie) was on telly last night, kinda made Clarkson's quip seem insignificant. But we live in a world full of victim players who have never had it so good.

Capetonian
2nd May 2014, 12:42
There is an episode of 'Inspector George Gently' where Martin Shaw plays a Tyneside detective. He goes into HM Passport Office in Newcastle where he asks a manager :
"Do you have a Muhamad Al-Husain working here"
"Of course not," is the answer.
"How can you be so sure without checking?"
"Officer, this is Her Majesty's Passport Office. We don't employ Arabs here."
LOVE IT!

Blacksheep
2nd May 2014, 12:43
but they do that banter brilliantly.
:) True: but I wonder how long they'd last in a typical RAF crewroom or perhaps worse, in an Army Air Corps one. ;)

talkpedlar
2nd May 2014, 12:48
Clarky is no friend of mine, but I've met him twice (Rover-BMW Gaydon 1997 and 98) On each occasion he was extremely courteous and respectful to every member of our group (Asians, Africans and West Indians).

I speak as I find and am happy to record that I enjoy Clarkson's work very much.

On the other hand, I've never et Thomas Coupling and whilst acknowledging that he is entitled to his (envious and small-minded) opinion, I genuinely think that he's a 5-star kn:mad:ob ...with respect, of course.:ugh:

Happy Weekend everyone,

TP

denachtenmai
2nd May 2014, 15:20
Thomas Coupling,
I've tried rearranging it and can't come up with anything meaningful, gissa clue.:hmm:
Regards, Den

Krystal n chips
2nd May 2014, 15:50
" Comes over crystal clear in many of the posts not only on this thread but on any other that mentions Clarkson. That folk don't like the show is one thing but the faux snob, love that term, petulance that accompanies that attitude is rather pathetic.

You know, that adroit reference above could almost be considered as being wit...until the rest of the paragraph proves otherwise.

" The guy has cornered the market and produces a product with a global appeal and makes squillions in the process which begs the question WHO has got it wrong? "

Those who lack the acumen to appreciate the distinction between talent and those whose carefully crafted immaturity masquerades as such perhaps ?

" The Guy with the TV Show being shown around the world whose pockets bulge with cash that his talents generate or the few detractors whose only contribution in their sad little lives is to continually write envious spite about most 'boy done good' types on web pages such as these

Ah yes, that oft mooted word on here...envy. Strange how that envy is so often displayed, not in terms of criticism as you might expect, but in terms of fawning adulation for having achieved so much wealth...wealth, of course, being the only true barometer of an individual, at least to the besotted who wish to share in the limelight by virtue of fulsome praise.

Unfortunately, not all of us subscribe to this barometer and even more so when the source of the wealth has done nothing to benefit society as a whole by earning it.

I suppose if TG is to be upgraded, or rebranded, then TG-SFFP would have to be a serious contender as a title....even if it does look more like an aircraft registration.

On the subject of which, the fact that two of the three talentless trio fly in a private capacity also seems to count, to some, towards their credibility.

A lot of people fly for pleasure....how does this make them in some way special?....it doesn't.

Cacophonix
2nd May 2014, 15:51
I've tried rearranging it and can't come up with anything meaningful, gissa
clue.:hmm:

Hick dead...? :-)

Caco

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd May 2014, 16:01
" Comes over crystal clear in many of the posts not only on this thread but on any other that mentions Clarkson. That folk don't like the show is one thing but the faux snob, love that term, petulance that accompanies that attitude is rather pathetic.

You know, that adroit reference above could almost be considered as being wit...until the rest of the paragraph proves otherwise.

" The guy has cornered the market and produces a product with a global appeal and makes squillions in the process which begs the question WHO has got it wrong? "

Those who lack the acumen to appreciate the distinction between talent and those whose carefully crafted immaturity masquerades as such perhaps ?

" The Guy with the TV Show being shown around the world whose pockets bulge with cash that his talents generate or the few detractors whose only contribution in their sad little lives is to continually write envious spite about most 'boy done good' types on web pages such as these

Ah yes, that oft mooted word on here...envy. Strange how that envy is so often displayed, not in terms of criticism as you might expect, but in terms of fawning adulation for having achieved so much wealth...wealth, of course, being the only true barometer of an individual, at least to the besotted who wish to share in the limelight by virtue of fulsome praise.

Unfortunately, not all of us subscribe to this barometer and even more so when the source of the wealth has done nothing to benefit society as a whole by earning it.

I suppose if TG is to be upgraded, or rebranded, then TG-SFFP would have to be a serious contender as a title....even if it does look more like an aircraft registration.

On the subject of which, the fact that two of the three talentless trio fly in a private capacity also seems to count, to some, towards their credibility.

A lot of people fly for pleasure....how does this make them in some way special?....it doesn't.

I wonder if it ever occurred to you that I don't actually watch Top Gear?

I wonder if it also ever occurred to you that despite my not enjoying the talents of Ms Brand, I am really not a fan of her humour I have the utmost respect for her unquestionable talent.

The fact that I dislike something or someone does not automatically earn them my scorn, it's where you and I part company as that's not a trait the small of mind are capable of showing :=

sitigeltfel
2nd May 2014, 17:35
Just contrast Lee Jaspers views on racist language in this clip..

Interview with BBC "celebs" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10804287/BBC-under-pressure-over-Clarkson-N-word-claims.html)

and his views when responding to this...

Labour frontbencher Diane Abbott was threatened with the sack yesterday after she was accused of making racist comments.
The Shadow Minister for Public Health dived disastrously into the Stephen Lawrence debate – claiming that ‘white people love playing divide and rule’ with the black population.
Miss Abbott, the first black woman MP, was later forced to apologise for the comments posted on Twitter.byNXvJ8glrY

The likes of Jasper seem to think that Racism only travels in one direction and will only use it as a weapon when it suits their agenda.

VP959
2nd May 2014, 18:31
I had the misfortune to meet Clarkson at a formal do years ago (associated with his father having been a tankie). There were a few dignitaries there, and it was a suit and tie affair (except for the Lord Lieutenant who was in his regalia).

Clarkson (who was the guest of "honour") turned up in jeans and a denim open neck shirt, and chain-smoked throughout the whole event (including through the meal). He was obviously thick skinned and none too bright, and was also pretty rude and offensive. He struck me as being someone who'd realised that he could make shed loads of money by being offensive, something I don't have a particular issue with - it takes all sorts.

What did piss me off was that he didn't really give a monkey's about anything or anybody except himself, despite claims to the contrary. He was, without a shadow of doubt, the most offensive, shallow and self-centred individual I've ever met, bar none. More power to his elbow, though for turning those unenviable "qualities" into a way to make money.

500N
2nd May 2014, 18:44
VP
Now to me that is taking it too far, especially for someone who knows better.

Both the dress and the smoking - and I'm a smoker !

Even if he had just worn black trousers and open neck white shirt
he would at least put in a bit of effort.

I know some messes that wouldn't have allowed him in,
guest of honour or not !

ZOOKER
2nd May 2014, 19:28
I suspect the people who complained about this wouldn't like the Agatha Christie novel we had to read at school then.

OFSO
2nd May 2014, 20:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upvZdVK913I

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2014, 22:13
VP,
Clarkson's Dad a tankie was he? Guest of honour with The Lord Lieutenant present! Military formal dinner just a 'suit and tie affair?

I think a wheel has fallen off the bandwagon you've tried hopping onto!

Tankertrashnav
2nd May 2014, 23:03
Strange how words become less or more offensive as time goes by.

Originally "strewth" (God's truth) or "bloody" (by Our Lady) were deemed to be very offensive because of the religious connotations. These days both are extremely mild (does anyone even say "strewth any more?)

When I was young , if I had referred to a black man as a f***ing n***er" in polite company the first word would cause huge offence while the second would pass almost without comment. Now the first has become commonplace whereas the second has become the great taboo word of the age. Words are odd!

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2014, 23:21
"A couple of G's, an R, and an E, an I and an N "

Prejudice by Tim Minchin - YouTube

Cacophonix
3rd May 2014, 01:55
SilsoeSid

You may be one of the strange breed that guides those rotored machines around but your apt invocation of the great Tim Minchin (the UK's very own Australian) marks you out as a man of discernment (Minchin is clearly a good bloke whereas Clarkson's provenance remains dubious)! ;)

My ex wife is a ginger!

I'll see your Minchin with another random Minchin which has no tangible connection with this thread save for the fact that it amusingly sums up the bloke's genius...

Tim Minchin's Storm the Animated Movie - YouTube

Keep clear of Storms and happy flying...:ok:

Caco

Bronx
3rd May 2014, 04:45
Krystal

From your faux intellectual and characteristically supercilious* post:

when the source of the wealth has done nothing to benefit society as a whole by earning it.

I assume you don't regard devising and presenting a television program that has given pleasure to millions of people, around the world as well as in England, as a benefit to society as a whole.

* Behaving as though one thinks one is superior to others.

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2014, 05:18
Labours front bench spokesperson on supporting paedophiles, has crawled out from under her rock...

Harriet Harman calls on BBC to sack Jeremy Clarkson - TV & Radio - Media - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/harriet-harman-calls-on-bbc-to-sack-jeremy-clarkson-9319032.html)

Krystal n chips
3rd May 2014, 06:10
" I assume you don't regard devising and presenting a television program that has given pleasure to millions of people, around the world as well as in England, as a benefit to society as a whole"

Well done for setting a precedent....the precedent being that you are, in this case, correct.

The fact that some of us have no wish to conform to the expected mass adulation of those who entertain, or who have high public profiles in various occupations and who, as a result, have expectations of being fawned over along with praise to bolster their usually fragile egos seems to have escaped you, and many others, on here.

If Clarkson had stuck to being a journalist, as I've said before, his documentaries are generally worth watching for the subject matter, then fine.

As it is, he's developed a screen persona which has now taken over whatever decency he may have had much to the delight of a target audience who have proved, yet again, how gullible the human race is.

To be fair, he's not unique here. Over the years I have met many who felt they could say what they wished as nobody could, or would, dare challenge them.

This may explain why my Christmas card list consists of the one I recycle every year and the one from next door's cat.

crewmeal
3rd May 2014, 06:15
I used to enjoy listening to the Black and White Minstrel show on the BBC Light Programme whilst eating my toast with Robertson's blackcurrant jam and saving the golliwog stickers so I could get a metal badge.

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2014, 06:59
Clarkson is reported this morning as saying that the BBC have given him a final warning. I don't know what sort of contract he has with them, but given his wealth I would be very tempted to tell them to stuff it, and walk away.

anotherthing
3rd May 2014, 07:04
KnC

just because you don't watch or like TG doesn't mean that those who do are gullible.

It is light entertainment... the clue is in the name. I find your posts amusing and although I have an active ignore list I have never added you to it.

Your posts are usually very contradictory... you deride other people for their thoughts/beliefs/actions etc trying to sound like you are a reasonable person, yet your posts prove that you believe you are better than the vast majority.

I wish I was as perfect as you :ugh:

acbus1
3rd May 2014, 07:36
Don't let the buggers grind you down, Jeremy. ;)

VP959
3rd May 2014, 07:37
SilsoeSid wrote:

VP,
Clarkson's Dad a tankie was he? Guest of honour with The Lord Lieutenant present! Military formal dinner just a 'suit and tie affair?

I think a wheel has fallen off the bandwagon you've tried hopping onto!

Apparently his father (or perhaps his grandfather) was in the RTR, or so he claimed, and was the reason he'd been invited as guest of honour, I assumed.

Not a military do, it was a presentation and formal lunch, and the Lord Lieutenant in question was that of Dorset. I guess you could check the provenance of the story if you feel I've made it up, as the event was reported in the press at the time, I believe. Off the top of my head it must have been the very early 90's.

I'm not on any bandwagon as far as Clarkson goes, in fact I was an avid Top Gear watcher for years until the programme got to the point where it had very little to do about cars. I was fairly neutral about the bloke until I met him, in fact, when I thought his whole manner was disrespectful (and, I suspect, deliberately so).

Clearly Clarkson has made a great success out of behaving the way he does; he appeals to a mass audience by behaving as he does and more power to his elbow for finding a way to make a handsome living from it.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about the bloke, other than feeling uncomfortable watching him on TV, so I don't watch with Top Gear any more. I could say the same about a handful of other presenters though; we all differ in our personal views of people.

tony draper
3rd May 2014, 07:43
I believe it was Clarkson's Father in Law, and he was rather good at blowing tanks up not driving them,so good at it they gave him a VC for doing it.

ExSp33db1rd
3rd May 2014, 07:57
.......and it was a suit and tie affair (except for the Lord Lieutenant who was in his regalia).

Flying to Sydney one time( circa late '60's ) I visited some old UK friends, him an ex BOAC Captain, and they invited me to a local function to be attended by the Governor of New South Wales ( of the time ). I had to refuse as I noted that the invitation stated "Black Tie", Oh never mind that, said my hostess, that's just so's not too many turn up in swimming togs !

My ex-BOAC friend was the only one wearing "Black Tie" gear, not even the Governor !

Aussie Rules.

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd May 2014, 08:01
how gullible the human race is.

I have no love for the humour of Ms Brand does the fact that you do invoke the above or does it mean nothing more sinister than a difference of comedic taste on our parts.

As others have said watering down your offerings on here would devalue the fun factor we get from them however it's probably worth pointing out that you have a very long way to go before you are in the same 'offence' class as either JC or Ms Brand but do keep trying :ok:

Effluent Man
3rd May 2014, 08:20
I am most likely unusual in that I found both Jo brand and Bernard Manning funny.On the JC issue though I must admit that his show has suffered from the Fawlty Towers syndrome. John Cleese refused to do any more as the idea would have become worn out.And he was right.Top Gear was an amusing show but then became formulaic,dreary and repetitive.

I had this argument with my 24 year old son last year and he disagreed.Yesterday he said that he thought that I was right.

Sop_Monkey
3rd May 2014, 08:33
There is now only two ways out for Clarkson, if he wants to stay at the BBC. Keep his mouth shut or change his color to "non reflective". He would then get away with anything. Boot polish.

Jackson changed the color of his skin.

Cacophonix
3rd May 2014, 08:36
Does anyone else find this a very sinister comment from Harperson?

Now she is a swivel eyed loon and wouldn't understand the basics of democracy if they bit her on her stringy champagne feminist arse...

Caco

tony draper
3rd May 2014, 09:01
Here yer go.:rolleyes:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/1901139_677086585686125_5986866667359027040_n_zpsb8a07716.pn g (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/1901139_677086585686125_5986866667359027040_n_zpsb8a07716.pn g.html)

B Fraser
3rd May 2014, 09:05
just because you don't watch or like TG doesn't mean that those who do are gullible

Agreed, I find the "schemes" extremely funny such as turning a caravan into an airship, a transit van into a hovercraft or filling a mini with rockets and firing it off a ski jump. Believing that everything you see is real is gullibility, laughing at the ridiculous antics of three clowns goofing it up in staged scenarios is not. That said, they can all turn out very good work on a serious topic too.

Getting back to the topic, I wonder what words will become acceptable or taboo in 30 years time. It's inevitable that cnut will become mainstream whereas something that is currently safe will be demonised, my money is on the use of the term "ginger" becoming a sackable offence. The terms Paki and spastic have become unacceptable to most people and I am genuinely baffled as to why. Friday evening "drinkies and chinkies" was an after work tradition until some twot in the office said it was racist. I hope "Jockistani" or "sweaty" remain in use as I have better things to do than taking offence.

Cacophonix
3rd May 2014, 09:07
I like the idea of Mr Draper's machine but wouldn't really wan't to do this to Clarkson who is after all just a bore like the bloke who grinds on ad nauseam in the pub!

No, but I'd happily kick Piers Morgan in the gonads, dildo kopf that he is!

Caco

B Fraser
3rd May 2014, 09:09
Admiral Draper, I now have coffee running down my nose. Thanks for that. I love the smell of caffeine in the morning but not a nasal enema.

Tankertrashnav
3rd May 2014, 09:21
Robertson's blackcurrant jam and saving the golliwog stickers so I could get a metal badge

That's just reminded me - I saved up the requisite number of stickers off the marmalade jars and sent them off but the buggers never sent me my badge.

I dont suppose there's any point writing up and seeing if they will still send it!

Akrotiri71
3rd May 2014, 09:32
Mr. D.

http://i57.tinypic.com/sys7io.jpg

The Mrs was wondering why I was having a coughing/laughing fit, & I now have the hairdryer trying to dry out my keyboard!

:D

tony draper
3rd May 2014, 09:36
It baffles me as to how we have come to this plight,no matter what colour government we have had in since the war, lefties or righties the fuffly quotient has increased geometrically, who are these feckin people how do they have so much bloody influence?
Very soon we will have Orwells newspeak.
:uhoh:

Capetonian
3rd May 2014, 10:30
Dear Mr. Tankertrashnav

We are now able to fulfil your order, and your Robertsons Jam effigy of a fine gentleman of Afro-Caribbean extraction is enclosed herewith. We do apologise for the lengthy delay in the processing of your valued order.

We have to advise you that in accordance with an e-dicked from the Ministry of Political Correctness, you have been reported to that organisation, and to your ISP, email provider and the postal authorities to monitor for any improper usage of this effigy, which you may not refer to as a Gollywog, Wollygog, Woolly header person, darky, or nignog, nor by any other racially insulting epithet.

You are now a marked man.

Yours in political correctness

Mr. Iyama Wasteofspace
Robertsons Fulfilment Team

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/wog.jpg

B Fraser
3rd May 2014, 10:59
Dear Mr Fraser,

Thank you for your recent order, I regret to advise you that we are unable to supply you with a model of the character known as "Bibendum", aka "The Michelin Man".

We have to advise you that in accordance with an e-dicked from the Ministry of Taking Offence At Anything, you have been reported to that organisation. The character represents people of reduced pigmentation as idle, overweight and having no obvious managerial or supervisory role in providing tyre related services. Furthermore, the name "Bibendum" infers a lifestyle of alcohol consumption which has been illegal since the enforcement of the 2020 prohibition act.

You are now a marked man.

Yours in political pointlessness

Mr. Iyama Completenob
Michelin Fulfilment Team

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/michelin_man.jpg

VP959
3rd May 2014, 13:04
Quote:
.......and it was a suit and tie affair (except for the Lord Lieutenant who was in his regalia).
Flying to Sydney one time( circa late '60's ) I visited some old UK friends, him an ex BOAC Captain, and they invited me to a local function to be attended by the Governor of New South Wales ( of the time ). I had to refuse as I noted that the invitation stated "Black Tie", Oh never mind that, said my hostess, that's just so's not too many turn up in swimming togs !

My ex-BOAC friend was the only one wearing "Black Tie" gear, not even the Governor !

Aussie Rules.

My first encounter with a Lord Lieutenant was hilarious. The chap was great fun, but exceptionally eccentric (and happened to be my laird at the time, too). We were receiving a visit from HRH Princess Anne, and he was head of the welcoming line as she got off the A/C at our remote station. Before she arrived he sat in my office drinking tea, and when the time came to walk out to the line he turned around at the top of the stairs and walked down backwards. Seeing my quizzical look he explained that one cannot walk down stairs forwards whilst wearing spurs...............

Made me wonder it this was why you often see cowboys walking legs akimbo in old Westerns.

SilsoeSid
3rd May 2014, 13:41
Made me wonder it this was why you often see cowboys walking legs akimbo in old Westerns.

Isn't that because of the the Brokeback Mountain effect?

Windy Militant
3rd May 2014, 14:08
Or the Blazing saddles bean windbreak follow through syndrome!

I'm off to bury the Jazz band of pottery fine gentlemen of Afro-Caribbean extraction I got for collecting jam labels and my Rupert Bear annuals :uhoh:

crippen
3rd May 2014, 14:09
Out of the B.B.C. and into Politics. :eek:

Now that would be fun.

superq7
3rd May 2014, 14:13
Isnt that because the Brokeback Mountain effect ?

Whatever do you mean my dear ?

Effluent Man
3rd May 2014, 14:21
M.Bibendum might get mistaken for Slimmer of the Year at my local ASDA.

tony draper
3rd May 2014, 16:12
Been a couple of top gear specials on this afternoon, I dont care if they are all pre scripted storyboarded contrived rehearsed every quip taking twenty takes or filmed in a studio in London,they are bloody funny.

teeteringhead
3rd May 2014, 16:43
I suspect the people who complained about this wouldn't like the Agatha Christie novel we had to read at school then. No problem ZOOKER, as it's changed its name TWICE!

From the original it became "Ten Little Indians", but ere long that was offensive too!

Now it is "And then there were none......" and the once eponymous figurines are now soldiers..... :ugh::ugh:

500N
3rd May 2014, 16:44
Robertson's Golliwog Jam. Now that brings back some memories.
Used to love it.

4mastacker
3rd May 2014, 18:43
Robertson's sponsored a yacht skippered by Clare Francis when she set a new women’s single-handed transatlantic record. I don't recall the name of the yacht causing too much hassle.

As Mr D says, who are these feckin people, how do they have so much bloody influence in deciding what we can and can't say? Let's have some names!!

radarman
3rd May 2014, 20:16
Been looking at all the press comments about Clarkson, and can't find any criticism emanating from people having an obviously ethnic surname. Wouldn't mind betting that folk of a deeply suntanned complexion couldn't really give a toss. The only ones who are offended are white gruniad readers. Anyway, what he really said was 'Eeny meeny miney mo, catch an igger by his toe'. Igger, as my grandchildren will tell you, is someone who keeps on ignoring them. What's wrong with that?

con-pilot
3rd May 2014, 20:43
There was a high position man in a Republican Administration here in the US that had to resign, or be fired, because he used the word 'niggardly' in a speech.

nig•gard•ly

adjective \-lē\

: hating to spend money

: very small in amount

How can one fight ignorance and logic like that? Sadly here today, you can't. :(

Capetonian
3rd May 2014, 20:50
The word 'despicable' has also been considered as racist.

The Danish word for 'coffee' is pronounced like 'kaffir' and I was somewhat surprised on board an SAS DC8 from Johannesburg to hear the stewardess coming up the aisle after dinner saying 'kaffir?'.

Then there are the words which some websites won't accept :
City : Scunthorpe.

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2014, 21:06
Just watched a Top Gear rerun where Clarkson took the mickey (are we allowed to say that?) out of the actor Rupert Grint for being ginger. I did not notice any outrage at this highlighting of anatomical tinting.........but there is still time.

ExSp33db1rd
3rd May 2014, 21:14
Tree hugging Fluffies pass move past this post.

The Danish word for 'coffee' is pronounced like 'kaffir'

South African friend of mine, returning to live at home, took his ski boots back lashed to one of those little ski-like carrying handles. Put them down with his luggage in the Customs counter, and the Hofficer said " What are those "? "Kaffir kicking boots" said my mate. "Geez" replied the Hofficer. " Can you get me a pair ? "

500N
3rd May 2014, 23:31
I read (I think on here) the other day that Clarkson had sold the rights to Top Gear to the BBC for 12 mil and is paid 1 mill a year.

And then I see he is on his last warning.

Clever bloke because he made a squillion out of top gear, then made another squillion selling it when it was at it's peak, then makes a million each year doing the shows.

Now, if they sack him, even if he has a no compete clause, it can't last forever so he could just start another show all over again !

Top Gear is Clarkson and the other two - take Clarkson out of the equation and you lose a fair bit of value.

PC or not, he makes money !

sitigeltfel
4th May 2014, 11:00
More evidence of dastardly TG racism.

The original Stig was Black and he was killed off by launching him in a car from an aircraft carrier deck. Since then the Stig has been, (using the words of Greg Dyke, the ex BBC DG) "hideously white".
Further rumours abound that the Stig is male and heterosexual, which must be deeply offensive to a number of people.
There are calls for the entire cast to be replaced, with Lenny Henry playing the lead, plus Julian Clary and Jo Brand making up the trio.
The Daily Mirror believes this fresh line-up will give a massive boost to the terrible viewing figures.
The position of Stig has not yet been decided, but candidates who turned up for interviews without a copy of the Guardian were immediately rejected.

You heard it here first ;)

B Fraser
4th May 2014, 11:29
What, Perry McCarthy is black ? A few people will be surprised, not least Perry McCarthy.

I do recommend his book, it's a cracking read.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mh9c-5EbzOZpHDb_Ld7tJ0A/140.jpg

sitigeltfel
4th May 2014, 12:20
What, Perry McCarthy is black ? A few people will be surprised, not least Perry McCarthy.

Not black, as in black, but black as in..........oh never mind!

Black Stig (http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/The_Black_Stig)

ZOOKER
5th May 2014, 20:45
Just spent some time listening to the fabulous 1st album by the late Curtis Mayfield.
On track 1, (If There's Hell Below), Curtis himself uses the 'N' word.
Curtis Mayfield is one of my favourite artists.
Please tell me, where do I stand?

Sallyann1234
5th May 2014, 21:23
The N word is perfectly acceptable providing (1) it is spelt ending with an 'a' and (2) it is used by a black person.

500N
5th May 2014, 21:25
So Guy Gibson's dog was not acceptable but if he had been called "N" with an "a" at the end, it would have been acceptable :O

He had the other bit covered, he was Black ;) :p

tony draper
5th May 2014, 21:30
If you stopped all the present crop of black Hollywood actors using the N word they would all be limited to none speaking parts.
:uhoh:

obgraham
5th May 2014, 21:43
If you stopped all the present crop of black Hollywood actors using the N word they would all be limited to none speaking parts.If you could work that out for the white hollywood sorts too, we'd be making real progress!

BigEndBob
5th May 2014, 22:54
I read somewhere in the article that a spokesperson said if someone in the film crew found it offensive then it would be looked into.

So what if no one complains...are they all racist?

Sop_Monkey
6th May 2014, 00:33
Well I've been in hysterics reading some of the previous posts, then I weed my pants. Or was it during?

OFSO
6th May 2014, 10:21
The German word for 'negro' is 'neger'. When pronounced by many Germans this sounds like 'nigger'.

I suggested to German friends that in the interests of using the word when travelling on the H-Bus back to the Heimstadtensiedling late on Saturday nights - the H-Bus was also used by American servicemen going home after a night drinking in Darmstadt's bars, and I didn't like to see them possibly feeling insulted......that they found an alternative expression.

"Schwarze" was suggested. I didn't realise until I was peeing my pants watching Mel Brooks film "Space Balls" that "Schwartze" is the correct Yiddish word...... as in "...may the Schwartze be with you..."

Und so... for Herr Clarkson to use next time:

Eins, Zwei, Drie, Vier
Catchen eine Schwartze by den ear

Exascot
6th May 2014, 10:37
I bet that there is no one else here that has been given a two year suspended prison sentence for calling an obnoxious French bitch a f:mad:ing tourist. Still this is a legal system which locks you up for taking photographs of aircraft. :ugh:

OFSO
6th May 2014, 12:26
My father was arrested for doing a sketch of a lovely harbour / inlet scene in Greece. His offence was to include in his drawing an elderly frigate of the Greek Navy, one built in the UK several tens, possibly hundreds, of years before, and which was fully detailed in "Jane's Fighting Ships".

Akrotiri71
11th May 2014, 08:39
Just heard that some DJ has lost his job for playing the original version of "The Sun Has Got His Hat On".

Because the lyrics contains the "n" word.

He's been tanning niggers out in Timbuktu,
Now he's coming back to do the same to you,
So jump into your sunbath, hip-hip-hip-hooray,
The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today.

I never knew this. I'd bet the DJ didn't know it either.

tony draper
11th May 2014, 09:01
We had a schoolteacher who was very fond of folk songs and sea shanties wonder what the OFSTED inspectorate would think if they were walking along the school corridor and heard forty 14 year old howling out Johnny come down to Hilo at the top of their voices,it contain a naughty word as well.:E

Tankertrashnav
11th May 2014, 09:03
Re the Radio Devon DJ. It was news to me - when our first was a mere sprog of three or four in the mid 70s this was one of his favourites, and Mrs TTN used to sing it to him. Absolutely certain that the version that got played around that time had the line as "he's been tanning negroes...". Must have been a later version.

The Beeb reckoned they overreacted and have offered him his job back, but he's told them to stick it (where the sun don't shine, presumably!)

tony draper
11th May 2014, 09:19
Heads would have to be removed from said sunless place first.:rolleyes:

Nervous SLF
11th May 2014, 09:34
A TV star is trying to keep sensational claims of sexual misconduct made against her by a former employee secret
because she is ‘a well-known media personality’, it can be revealed.
The blonde celebrity, who is a household name, is being accused by the ex-sales director of her company of sacking
him because he rejected her sexual advances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625226/Female-television-celebrity-wins-bid-allegations-sexual-bullying-secret.html

So how come that didn't apply to the male celebs then or is it just because she is before an employment tribunal ?

500N
11th May 2014, 20:32
Didn't one of the reports say that ONE person complained ?

Just one and he got the sack ?

That is just crazy.

Capetonian
11th May 2014, 20:37
I would just love to meet the utter moron who actually complained.Not a moron, a better description would be a bitter, twisted, sad f***er who has nothing better to do in life than to stir up hatred and foment polarisation in society. Such people achieve the exact opposite of what they seem to want.

Sop_Monkey
12th May 2014, 00:33
This DJ business takes the biscuit for me. What utter nonsense and whatever next?!

Why was the "offensive disc" allowed in the BBC library, for him to have carried out the heinous crime of actually playing the thing in the first instance?

What about the Dambusters film? The N word is mentioned there, so shall we complain? Perhaps they should remove Gibson's VC for actually naming N, N and uttering the word.

Clarkson should have told the BBC to stick the job, as the grovelling apology he was forced into was very sickening to watch.

Krystal n chips
12th May 2014, 05:07
" Not a moron, a better description would be a bitter, twisted, sad f***er who has nothing better to do in life than to stir up hatred and foment polarisation in society. Such people achieve the exact opposite of what they seem to want"

Actually, the very same thought occurred to me....

As for the DJ, a truly "wonderful" example of "how to shoot yourself in the foot" c/o BBC "management".

What was he supposed to do ?...select all the tracks himself, then listen to them, then play them ?....

The offensive word was contained in the music....unlike with Clarkson whence it emanated from his ever less than dulcet mouth......the more astute would spot the difference here.

OFSO
12th May 2014, 09:36
Did anyone hear the song ?

Something about the sun tanning the locals down in Timbuctoo, and now he's coming to do that to you, I believe.

Would be nice if he popped into our area on the way, and tanned all the Frogs we have here.

Whoops.

Cacophonix
12th May 2014, 09:41
Can't imagine working at the BBC... it really is a gutless, male hormonally deficient organisation...

Saw the poor old chap (on the news last night) who fell foul of this nonsense and shame on all the PC fascists in the wretched organisation! The poor guy looked absolutely heart broken.

(so saying I love Radio 4 but still the rant made me feel better...) ;)

Caco

sitigeltfel
12th May 2014, 11:23
Why was the "offensive disc" allowed in the BBC library, for him to have carried out the heinous crime of actually playing the thing in the first instance?

It appears it was from his own private collection.

OFSO
12th May 2014, 12:02
his own private collection.

My God, the man IS a racist. Hanging is too good for people like this.....

(Unless they have shows which earn the BBC millions of pounds, of course).

MagnusP
12th May 2014, 13:11
In the box of kiddies' books in the attic lurks a copy of one of my daughters' favourite books which, along with Peter Rabbit, I had to read to them every night at bedtime. The title? "Little Black Sambo". When am I scheduled to be taken out and shot?

Alloa Akbar
12th May 2014, 13:29
Magnus - I had that book as a kid, and I was most upset when Robertson's jam changed their logo..

Anyway honky, I don't really think the constitutes either of us as being racists.. why, some of my best friends are racers!! :p

B Fraser
12th May 2014, 16:09
Somebody mentioned "Tims and Huns" on another thread, I expect them to have their keyboard crushed the moment one person complains. :suspect:

The BBC should stick to playing safe tracks such as "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello.

Oh, wait a moment, perhaps not.

Perhaps anything by Pearl Jam.

errrrrrr, nope.

"Golden Brown" by The Stranglers or "Brown Sugar" by The Stones ???? Nope ! That leaves "Start me Up" by the Stones as Bill Clinton used it on his campaign trail........ until the lyrics were explained to him and it was quietly dropped.

Never mind, "The Jack" by AC/DC is always a safe option. :E

KBPsen
12th May 2014, 16:19
It doesn't take much to offend you guys. Wait a minute....

OFSO
12th May 2014, 17:44
Wasn't the Stone's "Brown Sugar" about a specific person, i.e. Marsha Hunt ? Does that make it more or less racist ?

I'm sooooo confused.

sirwa69
13th May 2014, 03:59
After 21 series this format of Top Gear is getting a bit tired anyway.
Jezza and Andy Wilman should leave it to pinky and perky and go off and start a new show as an independent production company then they are not in thrall to the BBC or ITV, they can sell the new show to the highest bidder. (After all with Jezza being divorced he's going to need to earn another 20 mil) :}

sitigeltfel
13th May 2014, 06:13
I doubt Clarkson will struggle if he has to hand over half his estimated £30 million fortune, but moving from the BBC and setting up a similar show elsewhere might be against his current contract.

pvmw
13th May 2014, 07:25
...........but moving from the BBC and setting up a similar show elsewhere might be against his current contract.
That may be so, but I would imagine that if they fire him then any such clause in a contract would no longer be enforceable. Hm......!! Perhaps that is the game plan.

acbus1
13th May 2014, 08:28
BBC - Inside the BBC - Executive (http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/managementstructure/seniormanagement/)

Look at the photographs. Notice anything, do we? :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/resources/factsheets/boards_of_governors.pdf

Look at the names. Notice anything, do we? :rolleyes:

tony draper
13th May 2014, 09:25
Seems to be a lot of VCs there,also some Cs but I think that is just shorthand for a four letter rude word.

500N
13th May 2014, 09:30
As has been pointed out, if the BBC really looked hard at what they were playing they might be a bit surprised.

I hear the song but not really the words so generally don't get the meaning of the song so seeing things like posted above is an eye opener for me and I think would be for a few.

sitigeltfel
13th May 2014, 11:00
"BBC director-general Greg Dyke has described the corporation as being "hideously white. A spokeswoman for the Commission for Racial Equality said Mr Dyke had made similar statements before but welcomed his latest remarks."

Substitute the word "white" for "black" and see where that gets you. :rolleyes: