PDA

View Full Version : BAK/PPL Questions

Jburgess95
1st May 2014, 04:07
Anyone know any good websites and/or sources for practice of the kinds of questions one could expect to encounter/good studying sources?

JMar
1st May 2014, 22:22
Having recently sat my PPL I can tell you that practice exams were very beneficial to me, as while I had the knowledge, I had trouble with the way in which some of the questions were asked.
For BAK I used the Rob Avery practice exams, found them to be pretty good.

For PPL I used:
Rob Avery; i got frustrated with my lack of understanding of a few of these questions but found them to be fairly similar to the actual exam.
Van Dyson Hollan; found these to be the most difficult, in understanding the question and just in general.
Bob Tait; these were good, also you get one dedicated Threat and Error Management exam. These questions were the most similar to the ones found on the actual PPL exam.
The text books (Bob Tait and ATP) have questions at the end of each chapter and a large bank of questions at the end of the books also.

Practice exams are great at pointing out where your knowledge lacks, and whether you're understanding what is being asked. I found the actual exams a little easier than any practice one, if you are prepared they are not difficult.

Seagull V
1st May 2014, 23:29
Sample PPL questions are available on the CASA website. It shows the questions only, not the answers. See Civil Aviation Safety Authority - PPL Sample Examination Questions (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90064)

gchriste
2nd May 2014, 03:11
They are not free, but pretty good, and lots of them.

Avfacts - Pilot Training Products (http://www.aviationshop.com.au/avfacts/)

VH-XXX
2nd May 2014, 04:44
In reality if you researched your VFG and appropriate study materials and are able to answer those CASA sample questions correctly you would pass the exam with a near perfect mark as long as you know how to do a performance chart / W&B.

It would be nice if someone helped out by publishing those answers, however you can buy them elsewhere anyway along with alternate sets as noted by the poster above.

It all depends if you want to actually LEARN the topics and understand them, or if you want to rely on brain dumps as you would call these samples.

I'd suggest if you wanted to be a CPL / ATPL that you actually do the learning, however if you only ever want to be a PPL...... well perhaps you could do the alternate.

mikewil
2nd May 2014, 05:35
If you are using Bob Taits BAK and PPL material to study from, I found that his multi choice questions were pretty close to the types of questions you will be asked in the exams.

OZBUSDRIVER
2nd May 2014, 08:29
Bob Tait PPL...98% first go.

His method is very easy to understand...however, beware the cleverly worded traps in the exam. Carefully read and really understand what they are asking you.

GregP
20th May 2014, 01:58
Just 'book learning' is the second rate way to learn (virtually anything for that matter). If you're based in Sydney, Red Baron Aviation (at BK) are about to start a BAK course, to be conducted by the RAAF trained CFI. I wish i'd had the chance to learn this way when i did PPL studies forty years ago ...

JMar
20th May 2014, 02:24
Have to disagree with you Greg, book learning served me pretty well for BAK/PPL. Of course it depends on the individual, but it's hardly 'second rate'.

swab
22nd May 2014, 09:09
I agree with you JMar re difficulty in understanding the questions. As Alan Wilson used to say...'it's not that I don't know the answer, it's that I don't understand the question!'

swab
22nd May 2014, 09:12
Also try cram.com which has lots of questions about lots of areas of aviation in the form of Flash Cards, and it's free! I found it useful for IFR type questions, not sure about PPL though.

ButFli
22nd May 2014, 10:57
Just 'book learning' is the second rate way to learn

Different methods of learning suit different people.

Personally I find the face-to-face way too slow. The material is fed to me so slowly that my mind wanders, trying to keep itself occupied. For me, I can shoot through a book and learn in half the time of a lecture.