PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 16:29
I'm going to throw this video out there for all to decipher! The video is set to the music by a band called A. Armada. They are, or were, of the post-rock genre and I like their music quite a bit. The name of the song this choreography is set is: "If You Only Knew What the Lost Soldiers Did to Me."

I see a lot of symbolism and ritualism in the video but for the life of me I can't put it all together to point at one underlying theme. I do find the video a bit disturbing for some reason. Any ideas?

q4KlKlDytqQ

con-pilot
30th Apr 2014, 17:16
Well, that was five minutes and one second of time I'll never get back.

I think that if you were on LSD it might make sense. Because whomever put that video together definitely was. :p

Man, it's like, well you know man, it's like there man, you know, it's like real you know man, like death leads to life, like rebirth man,,,,,,,,,,,,,cool.

By the way, it starts off with a Wiccan incantation, casting some sort of spell or something like that.

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 17:18
I'm not so sure, con. There is an underlying theme there somewhere IF you keep in mind the name of the song. Obviously the person in the coffin is one of the "lost soldiers". Wiccan incantations, Roman Catholic ritual, water as cleansing?

con-pilot
30th Apr 2014, 17:40
I got the Roman Catholic bit as well, but for the Lost Soldier, why no flags?

Perhaps if the quality of the film was better, I could make more sense of the whole thing.

wings folded
30th Apr 2014, 18:12
I see a bunch of nitwits who need help to open a car door, the whole thing overlaid with adverts.

Well done for bringing me closer to my death hour without wasting my time on frivolous things like Beethoven, Bach or Debussy.

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 18:18
wings:

I didn't see no stinkin' adverts.

wings folded
30th Apr 2014, 18:21
That could be perhaps because you are not beside me. I merely tell you what I see.

con-pilot
30th Apr 2014, 18:27
I got popup adds when I watched the video/flim as well, a common trait with 'YouTube' I've experienced.

Being an Internet/computer professional RG, do you have or know a way to block them?

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 18:33
con:

I got no pop-ups at all which is why I was surprised when wings wrote he saw them.

I don't know what browser you use - I hope it isn't Internet Exploder - but in both Google's Chrome and Mozilla's Firefox (I use Firefox) there is an "add-on"
called Adblocker Plus. Not only does this remove ALL advertisements from ANY page you're viewing, it also stops ALL pop-ups as well. Might be worth installing it into your browser, and not just for this video.

birrddog
30th Apr 2014, 18:39
If you play it backwards, it says "buy Scotch Whiskey and visit Con-pilot in Oklahoma"

wings folded
30th Apr 2014, 21:19
Best idea is to visit con pilot with or without scotch.

I sort of have grasped that he has some in reserve, and he is a sharing sort of bloke

Mac the Knife
1st May 2014, 00:43
If you poke around a a bit the Internet has tens of thousands of bizarre home-made videos constructed by the damned, the deluded, the peculiar and the just plain old eccentric (God bless 'em).

Most of them are completely incomprehensible except to their authors but others (as the example shown) have a certain Buñuel/Dali aspect (I hesitate to call it charm) that makes them interesting, if only as mini-documentaries on the odder side of the human psyche.

Some, like this little creation, ARE mysteriously disturbing and a good thing too - ideology and thought in the world are becoming frozen into half-a-dozen established camps and it's all getting very conventional and boring.

Mac

:D

onetrack
1st May 2014, 02:11
And YouTube is just plain full of crap, too. RGB just found a classic example. :)

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 12:00
RGB, that sort of video and music would be shown/played at Jack Parson's funeral today if he hadn't died in 1952...

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/profiles/507/john_whiteside_parsons.html

Caco

rgbrock1
1st May 2014, 13:53
onetrack:

I do not at all find this video as being crap. It is hauntingly disturbing even without the accompanying music. For me, it has images that I can't seem to get out of me head! Even last night as I lay down in bed for sleep I was still trying to figure it all out. I'm just trying to understand an underlying theme, if there is one. I suspect there is but I haven't quite figured out, yet, what that is.

I agree with there being many crap videos on youtube. But, again, I don't consider this one of them. The video, for whatever reason, has struck a nerve in me.

PTT
1st May 2014, 14:03
Cacophonix - just looked at your link. This made me chuckle:
John Whiteside Parsons, born Marvel, known as Jack, writer, visionary, dedicated occultist, and chemist of genius, was born in 1914 and died in 1952 in a mysterious explosion whose cause has never been fully explained. He was a tall handsome Californian, whose early work on highly volatile rocket-motor fuelsNow I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but...

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 14:13
Now I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but...

PTT by the time he expired in the 'mysterious blast' he was working as a pyrotechnician for Hollywood.

As you imply "go figure..." ;)

I must admit I like RGB's A. Armada video. The quasi religious imagery reminds me a little of this classic ...

Ministry - "Jesus Built My Hot Rod" - YouTube

Hee hah!

Caco

rgbrock1
1st May 2014, 14:21
Caco:

Yes, quasi-religious imagery. Do you, however, find any underlying/possible theme? Ritualism perhaps? And if so, I wonder what the snake being eaten has to do with it. Symbolism of some sort?

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 14:44
Let's try and deconstruct this video in no particular order... (and no particular accuracy)... :-)

The lady at the beginning is anointing the stone with an oil (symbolism typical of the Catholic sacrament of Unction or, perhaps, because the stone is dead, Extreme Unction...)... She then undertakes a shamanistic ritual with maracas, not far removed from the native American (see how PC I can be) dance for the dead, viz. The Ghost Dance...

We have crucifixes and a coffin and the water and wine symbolism..

Later we have a funeral cortege set in the fifties (redolent of Kennedy's perhaps)...

We have crucifixes and a coffin and the water and wine symbolism plus the serpent for the devil....

RGB if this video's iconography has affected you then you are Catholic or my name isn't Caco! ;)

The Tragedy of Wounded Knee (The Ghost Dance) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTY2pmKguDg

Caco

rgbrock1
1st May 2014, 14:50
Caco:

You are rather prescient. I was born and raised a Catholic, yes.
Although I rejected the Catholic faith many moons ago perhaps subconsciously there are still remnants of that upbringing seeded deep inside my psyche, who knows? I've seen many videos and multi-media images in my life but can honestly say this one struck home for some odd reason. Again, for me it's hauntingly disturbing and several of the images I just can't get out of me head. Eerie even.

I like your break down of the video: makes sense.

One thing I did finally find, though, and after viewing the video for about the 100th time: there IS indeed a soldier in one part. His face and helmet are very visible if you look for it. Have you seen him?

The 'Ghost Dance' video is really good. I'll take a look at the other later. Thanks for both!

Cacophonix
1st May 2014, 15:43
I did finally see that snatched couple of frames (after 4 viewings, how much time can one man waste)? ;)

I think the video/song is a requiem for the dead (be they the soldiers themselves or somebody else)...

Caco

Cacophonix
2nd May 2014, 01:04
Now RGB, this is disturbing... :ok:

(but no more so than any religion I guess)...

Ministry - Psalm 69 - YouTube

Caco

rgbrock1
2nd May 2014, 14:58
Yes, Caco, that was indeed disturbing. Should I try to go one up on you and introduce another installment in: Let's disturb each other?! :ok::}

arcniz
2nd May 2014, 15:39
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Spaghettoni.jpg/250px-Spaghettoni.jpg

With perception, one gets what one "buys into".

Yer noggin has been acquiring, analyzing, and incrementally absorbing images at a rate of 10 or so for every waking second of life, and then has spent a fair bit of sleep time analyzing and associating fragments of the images with concepts and meanings at random but frequent intervals as you snooze. With that long history of background activity, it is not surprising that images suddenly flashed at you or subliminally connected to your consciousness of the moment can evoke memories, desires, fears, ideas, and bits and pieces of same at any moment.

That's the long and short of Advertising, brain-washing, operant-conditioning,
education, re-education, intellectual and physical skills development, religious training, hallucinations and dreams.

Some physiological factors related to visual flash rates and color mixes and sound effects can be used to "program" just about any emotion or psychological transition of mind that words can describe, on very short notice, and there are limits to how much one can consciously and willfully suppress or resist such "push" effects. If one goes the other direction and emotionally or intellectually "subscribes" to some process sequence of visions, sounds, etc. that aggressively evoke emotions, the intensity, duration and effect of such perceptions can be quite overwhelming. Almost hypnotizing, one could say.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Classic-spaghetti-carbonara.jpg/640px-Classic-spaghetti-carbonara.jpg

rgbrock1
2nd May 2014, 16:27
arcniz:

Interesting. I also think that the conscious mind, if you will, weeds out many of the images, sounds, smells and other perceptions we have throughout the day while the subconscious stores some of that data for later processing, say at night in dreams. Am I making sense here? Probably not.

Cacophonix
2nd May 2014, 16:35
Arcniz has encapsulated the pure essence of his Noodliness in that interesting exegesis (plus photo of the divine logos)...

RGB as for trying to outdo each other's state of disturbance I can assure you that I am disturbed enough as it is... ;)

Caco

arcniz
2nd May 2014, 18:33
RGB SAYS
I also think that the conscious mind, if you will, weeds out many of the images, sounds, smells and other perceptions we have throughout the day while the subconscious stores some of that data for later processing, say at night in dreams.

That's a good model, from a steady-state perspective, but the real "we" is cranking along 24x7 at something, so the dynamics of how and when perceptions or thoughts weave together is significant as part and parcel of the flow. Another puzzler is how thoughts and perceptions and component of same are transformed from what comes in through the interfaces and sensors - eyes, ears, skin, and nerves in all kids of funny places, in original formats that clearly are different from how we conceptualize the information visually and intellectually

The idea that sensor data format coming from our interfaces is significantly different from same-sensor data that comes from historical memory seems clear, yet we intuitively can flexibly combine these and other abstractions of reality as mostly interchangeable. Obviously tricks are being played somewhere down below decks, but what forms of information equate to results and what ones are mere process artifacts or components?

A pleasant low-calorie occupation suitable for hammocks and summer nights is to explore the boundaries of perception and conception one can control by choice. Imagining visual scenes is interesting. Imagining the mind's eye seeing a universe of a single color of choice is harder than patterns and forms, but gratifying. Recalling history that seems long lost in the past is eye-opening when one masters a method -- what works for me is quiet place, somewhat comfortable, think of a time (like a birthday, when young) and a place (like school or bedroom or yard) until the general outlines come into some focus, then start walking around in it and be astonished how the whole thing gets to be more and more detailed and real as one reflects. Memories dragged up thus linger well.

My sense about consciousness is that we have a great many ones going along in parallel, each working mostly independently on own project of the moment. We use our sense of "will" or "necessity" to select focus on one or several of the parallel consciousnesses to have in our smallish window of awareness, and that's where self-aware thinking mostly happens. A little distraction, like a mosquito or a bullet ricochet, can then cause the gears to shift elsewhere, even while part of one still goes on thinking about purple bunnies hopping around fields of clover as birds flock across a starry sky. (this one's for you Cac)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/757px-Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Mac the Knife
2nd May 2014, 19:09
In order not to have to spend too much time analysing everything the brain, given a few vital cues, makes reasonable assumptions and moves on to the next task.

To "see" an ear, the eye/brain only needs to see 3 appropriate curves in more or less the right place. It then assumes that an ear is present and also "sees" most of the detail that should be present (even if it isn't).

The eye/brain looks at where it expects a hand to be and just to be sure, counts fingers. Once it gets to four, it doesn't waste any more time, assumes the fifth is present, and moves on to more pressing matters. It can be months before people notice that someone has only 4 digits.

There are all sorts of interesting perceptual quirks that can work for (or against) you in painting, sculpting and reconstructive/cosmetic surgery.

Mac

arcniz
3rd May 2014, 14:17
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Tube_map_thumbnail.png

London Underground

Possibly.... One of the great differentiators in modern human vs early human and other animal thought is a selectively increasing or evolving ability for humans to contemporaneously work with a relatively large population of somewhat mutually-inconsistent models for "reality", and to derive benefits, at times, from most or all of them, even while not being absolutely and finally bound to any single model as the correct fit for a given set of facts and circumstances. Ability to maintain some sort of operational and conceptual and logical coherence amid such inconsistency is potentially very powerful as a learning tool and as an acting tool, but the exercise and use of such is an inherently transcendental process due to the acknowledged, perhaps sometimes completely understood, inconsistencies between beliefs, models, rule systems and pragmatics that determine decisions and thus rule the actions that ensue to determine probabilities and branches in the trees of choice that decide each individual's life course.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Yuan_genealogy.png/820px-Yuan_genealogy.png

Yuan Dynasty family tree

Genghis Khan founded the Mongol Empire in 1206. His grandson, Kublai Khan, after defeating his younger brother Ariq Böke, founded the Yuan Dynasty in China in 1271. The dynasty was overthrown by the Ming Dynasty during the reign of Toghaghan-Temür in 1368, but it survived in Mongolia, known as the Northern Yuan. Although the kingship was usurped by Esen Tayisi of the Oirats in 1453, he was overthrown in the next year. A recovery of the khaganate was achieved by Dayan Khan, but the territory was segmented by his descendants. The last khaan Ligden died in 1634 and his son Ejei Khongghor submitted himself to Hong Taiji the next year, ending the Northern Yuan regime.[9] However, the Borjigin nobles continued to rule their subjects until the 20th century under the Qing.[10][11]

PERHAPS it is a bit of a stretch, but.... an ability to quickly factor in decision-trees as complex as the detailed history of the Yuan Dynasty in the few short seconds before seeing and taking or not-taking a fork in the road can help to enhance survival and thus ability to carve one's initials in the genetics of the future.... if the actual decisions consistently are more optimal even when the data for deciding is noisy and self-contradicting.