PDA

View Full Version : P41 kittyhawk

gas path
30th Apr 2014, 13:07
Whatever happened to the P41 Kittyhawk that turned up in the Egyptian desert?

onetrack
30th Apr 2014, 14:27
gas path - The last update from late last year says it's been retrieved from the desert, and it's sitting in a seatainer in a secure place in Egypt, whilst negotiations continue for it to be returned to Hendon for display.
I'd hazard a guess those negotiations are delicate and protracted, given the somewhat unstable state that Egypt is in.

Sahara's P-40 Kittyhawk Update (http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/saharas-p-40-kittyhawk-update.html)

gas path
1st May 2014, 12:37
Thanks for the update...Hopefully politics wont stand in the way for too long!:ok:

mmitch
1st May 2014, 16:47
But the pilot is still out there in the desert, as little effort was made by the 'authorities' to find him.

clunckdriver
1st May 2014, 21:23
Its is a P40, not a P41, I read that some human remains were in fact found, cant remember where I read this, Looking at the damage to the rear fuselage, {looks like lite flack} I wonder where the flux valve was located,{if it was indeed so equipped} if in the rear like most of that vintage it would go a long way to explain why he was so of course , poor fellow .

Good Vibs
1st May 2014, 23:22
Hope its corrected.
As the joke goes....
Is there a P-400...its a P-40 with a Zero on its tail!

Fantome
2nd May 2014, 04:26
old bloke down the road went to a crash site in the Numinbah Valley, which connects the Gold Coast with the Tweed River Valley near Murwillumbah.

On 5 Feb 1942 a P40 out of Amberley crashed there in bad weather, killing the RAAF pilot. His name was Hunter. He is buried in a war grave at Coonabarabran.
Quite moving to hold and examine the relic the neighbour still has. Looks like a three feet section of the tailplane.

Peter-RB
2nd May 2014, 21:04
My Uncle Tom was killed flying a P40, he was a test pilot out of RAF Sealand(Chester) or it could have been Hawarden?, it seems the engine seized and he didn't have enough height to reach flat ground, as he was over the very built up town of Bolton Lancashire on his way back from a Liverpool bay, Preston Bolton back to base prior to handing the AC over to go out to Africa the next week or so.

When I found out more detail I asked the Bolton Local Newspaper would they run the story so I could possibly find anyone who witnessed the crash, I was inundated with guys around the 68 to 80 years of age who had seen the demise of my Uncle, the tales they told were all vastly different from each other but they all remembered the sound of the actual crash and then silence, it was rather upsetting when I revealed this to his two brothers, one of them my father who was in North Africa at the time of this incident and the other just going to the senior school prior to joining the RAF ( he finished up in 617 Sqdn )with my old man in 272 Sqdn in North Africa and then Italy,

I now look after my Uncles war grave along with about six others that were in a bit of a state.

Peter R-B
Lancashire