PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hoskins RIP

jethro15
30th Apr 2014, 13:50
BBC News - Bob Hoskins dies of pneumonia aged 71 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27224995)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Apr 2014, 14:09
I always thought The Long Good Friday was his best work.
He looked good when acting with the greats too, e.g. Zulu Dawn.

RIP

sitigeltfel
30th Apr 2014, 14:11

Sad news.

As a small tribute I will sit down and watch my copy tonight.

gorter
30th Apr 2014, 14:40

Sad news.

As a small tribute I will sit down and watch my copy tonight.

Has to be who framed Roger Rabbit for me. I've been looking for an excuse to watch it for a while.

Eddie Valiant talking to Jessica Rabbit "you don't know how hard it is being a man looking at a woman looking the way you do". Sums up my early teens.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Apr 2014, 14:49
A jovial character who like a few other actors always had the same accent whatever the character he portrayed and was loved for it all the same. The first film that popped into my head on hearing this was The Long Good Friday where he is the menacing boss of an East-end gang, the film also notable for depicting a post empire London docks and a near-wordless Piers Brosnan as an IRA henchman.

Apparently Hoskins got started in the thespian world when taking a luvvie to a casting in his cab and the bloke said "you might as well come in and wait with me as it could take a while". He did so and was joking around when the casting people said why not have a go, which he did as he thought it was all a good laugh, and lo and behold HE got the part and the luvvie passenger didn't :}

RIP Mr H

SHJ

Akrotiri71
30th Apr 2014, 15:36
Brilliant in Nixon, playing J. Edgar Hoover... :D

RIP Bob...:ok:

goudie
30th Apr 2014, 15:43
Sad news. Bob was always very watchable

Tankertrashnav
30th Apr 2014, 16:05
Its a toss-up between The Long Good Friday and Get Carter as the best British gangster film ever.

He looked good when acting with the greats too, e.g. Zulu Dawn.

Yes, but a pity the film was such an overblown turkey!

RIP

603DX
30th Apr 2014, 16:12
A shame, 71 is no age to depart nowadays, and he was a very convincing actor. I first noticed him in a BBC TV series of programmes about adult literacy called "On the Move" in the 1970s. He played a removals man called Alf who had difficulties with reading and writing, and his acting talent made the rather sensitive subject matter believable.

Plastic787
30th Apr 2014, 16:20
Rest in Peace, Bob. A big part of my childhood thanks to his roles in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Super Mario Brothers (!) The latter should not detract from his awesome work both before and since.

er340790
30th Apr 2014, 16:20
I've had a thing about exploding pubs ever since! :ok: :ok: :ok:

See trailer about 1:00m in.

What were his words....? FAAAAAAAAAACKIN' 'ELL, or similar? :}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiH5oAwkYE

Blues&twos
30th Apr 2014, 21:18
603DX, On The Move....wow, had no idea Bob Hoskins starred. I remember watching that as a small kid in the mid seventies. Theme tune by The Dooleys. Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

I heard that Mr. H had an affair with Jessica Rabbit for two months following filming. Jammy bugger.

A A Gruntpuddock
30th Apr 2014, 23:08
I always thought the scene in The Long Good Friday where he is being taken off in the car, thinking of things to say then dismissing them was a brilliant bit of acting.

tony draper
30th Apr 2014, 23:59
Yeh the look on his face said it all a great final scene.:)

brickhistory
1st May 2014, 01:26
Fine actor with no apparent pretensions.

RIP.

Gordy
1st May 2014, 02:07

Concur...RIP

Pinky the pilot
1st May 2014, 03:43
What Brickhistory said.:ok:

tezzer
1st May 2014, 10:19
Bugger, I used to love Blockbusters :)

Tinwacker
1st May 2014, 14:05
A sad early loss and now he is back playing 'Pennies in Heaven'....RIP Bob

TW

G-CPTN
3rd May 2014, 09:10
BBC News - On the Move: How Bob Hoskins helped adults learn to read (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27254465)