PDA

View Full Version : Winding Down

alisoncc
29th Apr 2014, 21:57
Had intended to play golf today - club comp. But woke well over an hour too early, with my right knee letting me know that it had no intention of joining me on the golf course. Whilst the UK always seemed to gradually change seasons - gliding gently from Winter into Spring, thence Summer and Autumn, Australia is very different. Here we seem to go from Summer to Winter almost overnight. This transition seemingly occurring over the last week to ten days. Yes, two weeks ago it was the height of Summer, today there is an expectation of snow, with scarves, gloves and overcoats at the ready.

In previous times, before calendars became commonplace, peoples ages were often quoted in the number of Winters they had been around. Thus someone might be said to be a person of fifty Winters. Having turned seventy in January, this will be my seventy first Winter, and with other bits of me like my right knee choosing to mutiny, wonder how many more Winters I have left. Even this early in the season this one seems to be having a far more significant impact than others.

The King Jame Bible quotes "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away". I have a very real sense that this still applies. Many more of us may make it to seventy, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are any more capable when we do.

Would be nice to think that mortality tables might give an indication of life expectancy for those turning seventy, but fit and healthy acquaintances are quite likely to pop their clogs tomorrow. Whereas those who spend hours leaning on a bar with cigarette in hand might last another twenty five years. One size doesn't fit all. It's all very well for octogenarians here crowing about there achievements, but how many of their lifelong acquaintances are still around to share their memories?

Even with all of our medical advances, I am beginning to accept the fact that after seventy life does start winding down. The big spring in my life clock is far from broken, but there's not a lot of tension left in it, and there's lots of odd creaking noises in the movement. So after threescore years and ten is it preferable to cease being so competitive, to take every day as it comes, or to keep fighting and go out in a blaze of glory? When you turn seventy should you stop buying green bananas?

ExSp33db1rd
29th Apr 2014, 22:31
Must agree, it sort of creeps up on one despite noisily denying it, difficult to put a finger on, but suddenly the motor bike refuses to go up on the centre stand as easily as it used to, there is no longer any joy in considering strapping on the weed-eater to trim the grass around the rocky 'garden',it's now a necessary chore, and one finds oneself scrutunising the Small Ads. in the newspaper for "garden services", the aircraft now needs two people to push it back into the hangar, one has to accept that one can only really plan one 'task' in town per day. etc. etc.

Still, I'm still flying, driving, riding the motor bike and ...... waking up each morning - could be worse, but it would help if I could remember where I put that pen I was using 30 seconds ago !

CoodaShooda
29th Apr 2014, 23:33
"Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".

The SSK
30th Apr 2014, 08:48
Don't they say that the first person to live to a thousand has already been born?

I hope to God it isn't me.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Apr 2014, 09:20
Don't they say that the first person to live to a thousand has already been born?

That being the case, at what biological age will they stay at approximately ? Too young and you're still developing, too old and the body starts to break down, meaning the timing of the stasis is of the upmost importance.

SHJ

Fliegenmong
30th Apr 2014, 09:39
I have a great uncle who turned 100 earlier this month....wheel chair bound now, but still has his marbles......

Swears doctors will kill you, so he hasn't seen one in 60 years.....eats only fruit & veg....no meat, no dairy.....sugar is 'the white death'......has a few beers when no one is watching, was playing tennis up until 80 odd....

tony draper
30th Apr 2014, 09:51
I had a Great Uncle who drank like a fish smoked like a chimney ate nowt but fry ups hadn't tasted fruit or veg since he was three,he would have been a hundred this year as well.
:rolleyes:

The SSK
30th Apr 2014, 10:03
Er - you neglected to tell us how young he was when he died, Mr D

tony draper
30th Apr 2014, 10:38
You were supposed to figure that out for yourself, "would have been" turned it from a mere sentence into a funny.

Octopussy2
30th Apr 2014, 11:29
I got it, Mr. D. The youngsters on here can still keep up with you :E:E

The SSK
30th Apr 2014, 11:35
Don't rub it in Puss

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 12:02
I've always felt that age is a state of mind for the most part. alisoncc, you are not old by any sense of the imagination. And life is not "winding down" at that age. Although not old myself I feel that to keep ones faculties it is vital to stay mentally and physically sharp. That is key to vitality in my opinion.
All the rest results from those two key areas.

Octopussy2
30th Apr 2014, 12:15
I know you can take it, SSK - just teasing.

If I may be serious for a moment, spending time on this board is an education in precisely how NOT to wind down if you don't wish to - lots of people here seem to be living life on their own terms and having fun in their 70's and beyond.

It seems to be a mindset though - some relatively young people have reactionary, closed, fearful mindsets - others remain cheerful and curious, in addition to reaping the benefit of a lifetime's experience.

Maybe that's why I spend so much time on here instead of Getting On With My Work....:)

cattletruck
30th Apr 2014, 12:52
My friend related the story of his dad who turned 70 and decided to get a check by a doctor.
Doctor: "Ok, so what medications do you take?"
Friend's dad: "None, am I supposed to?"
All clear and straight back to playing golf.

Swears doctors will kill you

So do I.

oldchina
30th Apr 2014, 14:13
Medics are like garage mechanics. They don't take as much care with other folks inner workings as they do with their own.

No surprise that after treatment one often has to go back for something else.

onetrack
30th Apr 2014, 14:43
AlisonCC - At 70, you've still got some mainspring movement left yet. Keep active, but don't punish yourself.
It's the quality of your life that you live that counts, not worrying about how many days are left before you part the veil.

Just been reading a railway book by a local bloke by the name of Ron Fitch. Ron was a West Australian Railways civil engineer who became Chief Engineer of the Commonwealth Railways, then Commissioner of the South Australian Railways.

Despite living a hard life for many years in outcamps along the railways, Ron is still in good form at 103, living in a self-care unit in a Masonic Retirement Home in Adelaide.
He acquired a PhD at the age of 92 - and wrote his biggest and most comprehensive railways book at age 99.
He was still lecturing on aged care at 100! Just goes to show you that the right mental attitude to advancing age is to keep active and interested in what's going on around you, and to never stop learning, and never ever be without a project.

This is Ron Fitch at 100 years of age in 2010.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2zefi35.jpg

er340790
30th Apr 2014, 16:18
Flying to UK next week for the funeral of an uncle.

He was one of the lucky generation: too young for WW2, yet ahead of the baby-boomer waves who broke the jobs, mortgage, health and pensions markets for the rest of us.

Age 51, he sold up and he and his wife retired to the restored C15th cottage he'd fully renovated at the back of his garden, kept himself in shape, lived modestly, invested carefully, took care of his family but still had 1-2 holidays each year and a new car every 3 years. All that and when he died suddenly last week, aged 82, he was wealthier than he had ever been. Had just had a big reunion with his family from overseas the week before and the very day before he went, he bought my aunt a dozen roses for no particular reason.

And I'm supposed to feel sad!!!!!!!!! :ok:

:D :D :D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Apr 2014, 19:09
baby-boomer waves who broke the jobs, mortgage, health and pensions markets for the rest of us.

Don't be ridiculous!

Do you remember mortgages at 15% interest rates and climbing? Cancer survival of 6 months at best? Thought not!

You spring chickens don't know you're born. :rolleyes:

tony draper
30th Apr 2014, 19:32
Plus the threat of being Nulearized any minute.:uhoh:

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 19:37
tony D wrote:

Plus the threat of being Nulearized any minute

Those days may slowly be returning Mr. D.

tony draper
30th Apr 2014, 19:49
And a lot of the cold war warriors now arse fast in office chairs are loving it Mr Rock.

angels
30th Apr 2014, 20:15
I always recall my dad coming back from a civil defence meeting in Purley Town Hall during the Cuban missile crisis. He was wondering whether to buy some whitewash for the windows! Thank heavens I was too young and innocent to understand the fear.

alison - a very sombre post. It's different for me. My mental health imploded from my mid-40s onwards and I became someone that wasn't me. In the end my breakdown was total and I had to be put back together by highly skilled professional who did (I think!) a fantastic job.

It took them a year.

But then, essentially as I turned 50, I started getting physically unwell. Gall bladder out, oesophogitis, arthritis, quintuple heart bypass, complications following the bypass which took two years to mainly resolve, but will never fully be cured. And currently polyps in the colon (heard last week they are not cancerous - yet).

However, my cardiologist told me something that stunned me. The heart disease I had was hidden. It was genetic and only discovered by mistake (I am adopted). He said, "You are now almost certainly the longest living male ever on your father's side of the family."

Every day for me is a miracle that I enjoy. I want many more of them! In many respects I'm glad to have had these problems while I'm relatively young and have a modicum of stamina.

Now go out and enjoy yourself -- even if you have to wrap up a bit more nowadays!! :ok:

Keef
30th Apr 2014, 21:18
There's no future in getting maudlin!

I've buried some fine people who were younger than I was - and some who were seriously older. One was a retired Brigadier, the last person left of his regiment: he'd been at dozens of their funerals, but there was nobody left to attend his. Pretty poor show from the war office not to send a platoon or some such in his honour, though: it was just his two children and me. We gave him a good send-off all the same.

Passing from 69 to 70 was a bit of a jolt - no particular reason, but suddenly I felt old. The DVLA at Swansea added insult: they took a load of groups off my driving licence for some reason - legalised ageism, I call it. It's not as if I'm likely to want to drive any of those things any more, but being told "You can't anyway" is galling.

Can't complain about the NHS, though. If it weren't for some excellent medics neither I nor the memsahib would be alive now.

gingernut
30th Apr 2014, 23:16
Had a "mini debate" with my doctor colleagues, told them that I thought that the best strategy was to avoid blood tests......looked at me as if I was daft.

Not sure blood tests save lives :)

alisoncc
30th Apr 2014, 23:24
Cattletruck wrote:
My friend related the story of his dad who turned 70 and decided to get a check by a doctor.
Doctor: "Ok, so what medications do you take?"
Friend's dad: "None, am I supposed to?"
All clear and straight back to playing golf.Luckily fall into that category - medication just one tab a day, not entirely necessary.

Original post was just me having a bit of a whinge about not being able to play golf at that particular time, and lack of adequate sleep meant I wouldn't have been able to play well if I had. Managed 18 holes later on though, and that's walking the course. The mind is ever willing, but as for the body well ...... Thanks for all the positive replies.

Keef: "Passing from 69 to 70 was a bit of a jolt - no particular reason, but suddenly I felt old". It does doesn't it. Threescore years and ten resonates in the mind continuously.

cattletruck
1st May 2014, 04:03
My recalcitrant neighbour is pushing 90. Physically strong, he will often use a walking frame if he has to visit the bank, court etc but has been observed literally throwing it over the front fence and jumping straight onto his bicycle. He's currently up a ladder struggling to prune back a 15m tall tree. :eek:

Sadly it's his brain that's turned to mush before his body. He's now fighting his daughters in court from what I can ascertain are his new "friends" trying to take advantage of his mental condition by screwing his daughters out of a big inheritence. As it mustn't be a good image for his defence/sympathy his bicycle was stolen, so he chained his second bicycle to the iron gate, both iron gate and second bicycle were soon stolen.

Effluent Man
1st May 2014, 08:16
I am guessing that the genes have all the answers here.My 71 year old brother looks 60 and I am regularly mistaken for early 50's by people who don't know me.Having never smoked probably helps as does daily exercise but sometimes I encounter ex schoolmates with walking sticks or on mobility scooters.

alisoncc
2nd May 2014, 02:16
From local paper:-
Paul Ramsay, the billionaire founder and chairman of private hospital operator Ramsay Health Care, has died after a short illness.

Mr Ramsay, who was valued by Forbes at $3.7 billion in March, was 78 years old. He owned 36.20 per cent of Ramsay Health, a stake worth $3.3 billion.So having access to the best health care available, and not being short of a quid or two doesn't help.

Not too sure about genes either. Both parents died in their sixties, and have sister and two brothers who would be hard pressed to walk one tenth of the distance I walk when playing golf. Subject to any catastrophic occurrence, I have every expectation of being at the funerals of all three. As replacement bodies are well out of my budget, I do tend to look after the one I have. Like to feel that this helps.

Quite a few years back read of a survey of Scandinavian nonagenarians, and by far the most interesting aspect of their lifestyle was how rarely they saw a doctor. The survey didn't indicate that this was because they didn't need to, or it was a personal preference. I like to feel it was the latter. People die after seeing doctors.

mikedreamer787
2nd May 2014, 02:42
One's warranty runs out after 60 years of age Ms CC. :(

Things don't automatically repair themselves anymore -
one can only get them patched up or duct taped.

vulcanised
2nd May 2014, 12:06
When you get past 50 everything hurts.

Or, if it doesn't hurt it doesn't work.