PDA

View Full Version : RIP?

tony draper
29th Apr 2014, 15:53
Just been a item on the News,apparently they have dug up the bones of the lady who is thought to have been the model for the Mona Lisa (La Gioconda for the more edumacated prooners)however they intend to nab her skull and do one of those forensic reconstructions of her face(as in Richard III)to see if it matches the painting, now it may be a rather interesting intellectual exercise for our age when most of us are heathens but aint it a bit rough? I mean the peeps in those day really believed they were going to their rest.
Should we not have a modicum of respect?
Personally I would come down on the side of science and curiosity,what do others think?
:uhoh:

tony draper
29th Apr 2014, 16:02
Hmmm, interesting Mr Crun,never heard that one before.:uhoh:

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 16:03
henry crun wrote:

because, as we all know, the model for that painting was a young lad.

WTF? :eek: I, for one, did not know that.

Dushan
29th Apr 2014, 17:51
I think all of them Eytalian artists of that era swung "the other way"...

G-CPTN
29th Apr 2014, 17:58
I was distinctly disappointed when I saw the actual size of the painting.

I had imagined a somewhat larger affair.

Why do they need to reconstruct the alleged sitter?

Was Leonardo not a sufficiently talented artist to be trusted with creating a likeness?

We know what (s)he looked like, don't we?

Or are they intending to prove that the person that they have desecrated was not the sitter?
There must be millions of people who weren't the sitter - where will it end?

I think we should be told.

tony draper
29th Apr 2014, 18:03
Just curious Mr G-C,how much does it cost to look at yon painting in the flesh as it were?
:)

G-CPTN
29th Apr 2014, 18:06
how much does it cost to look at yon painting in the flesh as it were?

I cannot tell, as I was spirited in through a fire exit rather than queue for ages and have to pay.

We were on a coach tour of Paris and one of the stops was the Louvre, but it was just to see the Mona Lisa - in by the fire exit then straight out again within five minutes!

charliegolf
29th Apr 2014, 18:12
We were on a coach tour of Paris and one of the stops was the Louvre, but it was just to see the Mona Lisa - in by the fire exit then straight out again within five minutes!

You done wll boyo. We did the real tour- about 90 boring minutes tabbing along coriddors for a 40 second gawp at an A3 sized picture of a rather grumpy looking bird.

CG

Limeygal
29th Apr 2014, 18:19
They did a documentary on the boy sitter theory. They made a holographic image of old Mona and they think she was a he that Leo was having a bit of a thing with. Agree with the boring verdict on the actual portrait. Very small and drab.

sitigeltfel
29th Apr 2014, 18:21
I cannot tell, as I was spirited in through a fire exit rather than queue for ages and have to pay.

Maybe you were taken in via the little known Porte des Lions. Not many know of this entrance and it rarely has any queues. When you get to the top of the stairs the Mona Lisa, and around 2000 Japanese, are right in front of you. Despite the signs banning photography, there is constant blizzard of flashes lighting up the room!

MadsDad
29th Apr 2014, 18:23
how much does it cost to look at yon painting in the flesh as it were?

Dunno about prices during the week now but the last time I was in Paris it was free entry to the Louvre on a Sunday. (And there was a much better Rembrandt painting at the other end of the gallery to the Mona Thingy, IMHAO).

B Fraser
29th Apr 2014, 19:50
I agree, RIP seems to mean "Rest In Pyrex" these days.

OFSO
29th Apr 2014, 20:12
There are at least three choices for that model, so must be a big hole they are digging in !

airship
29th Apr 2014, 20:18
Joint Shite Fighters rulez...?! :uhoh: :ok:

tony draper
29th Apr 2014, 20:23
Oft think whilst watching Time team that bloke with the long hair and trilby, in a hole poised over some Celtic Warrior with his trowel in his hand,that poor buggah been lying there at peace with his spear and shield for 3000 years and that fecker with his beery breath is going to disturb him.
Still it is interesting.:uhoh:

Cacophonix
30th Apr 2014, 00:50
Mona Lisa Song by Nat King Cole - YouTube

Caco