PDA

View Full Version : Mac supports window

ricardian
28th Apr 2014, 17:47
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/3648_10152044891116083_1174520113_n.png

Capn Bloggs
29th Apr 2014, 00:49
101 uses for a flat Mac...

mixture
29th Apr 2014, 06:37
http://goinglikesixty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/If-I-Had-A-Nickel-Bill-Gates.jpg

Capn Bloggs
29th Apr 2014, 06:45
I cannot remember the last time XP BSOD on me. And that would be probably 3 years, although I am getting old... :}

Booglebox
29th Apr 2014, 10:26
Someone's got to stick up for the Dark Side of the Force around here...
This is a screenshot of one of the servers at my company :8 Been up since 16th Dec of last year, when I upgraded the OS to 2012 R2.
It's only a tower server in a small office cupboard, no professional datacentre stuff! I see no reasons why it won't make it to a year / next OS upgrade :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/QlFH0sP.png

mad_jock
29th Apr 2014, 10:43
Pre Y2k I had the task of finding a print Q server which had 350 q's hanging off it.

looked in all the usual places, then the stupid places.

Then it was find the switch and try and work out where it was using the port numbers.

On the second day I resorted to asking the cleaner.

She then opened her closet and at the back under a heap of cleaning crap I found a 386 bindery 2.11 netware server. Up time 7 years.

The cost of replacing said printer server with a MS one was in the region of 8k without licenses.

It might even now be still running with nothing attached to it because I forgot to pull it before it was end of contract for me and I don't think I told anyone where it was.

The Flying Pram
29th Apr 2014, 21:38
I cannot remember the last time XP BSOD on me. And that would be probably 3 years, although I am getting old...Likewise, and that was when I was experimenting with various RAM modules to establish which one the laptop didn't like...

I now have a brand new (well over a month, actually) machine with Win 7 on an SSD drive and the BSOD count is now 5. On top of that it has failed to fully load the desktop on start up twice, necessitating a reinstall from backup image. Oh, then there's the "hanging" when shutting down, or putting it to sleep, and the "well known" (since Vista days) problem of files not showing in Explorer until pressing F5 to refresh.

And I am supposed to be glad I've "Upgraded" from XP??? Granted, this machine was poorly configured by a national supplier, and didn't have the correct drivers installed when supplied - since corrected by myself. But despite this, it threw another wobbly today.

Even if I DO manage to convince them to take it back and refund my money, I will be left with a tricky decision on how to proceed. The 8 year old doorstop isn't being retired to the loft just yet...

llondel
30th Apr 2014, 03:16
I cannot remember the last time XP BSOD on me. And that would be probably 3 years, although I am getting old...

You're clearly not trying hard enough. I got Windows 8.1 to BSOD a few weeks ago.

Been up since 16th Dec of last year

I've got a machine that's been up since September. The machines at home have only been up 56 days because on that day the power company disconnected the mains for the day while they replaced the local street power cables. They're all Linux machines though. I've had an OS/2 machine do a couple of years before a power outage finally got it.

Capn Bloggs
30th Apr 2014, 04:08
You're clearly not trying hard enough. I got Windows 8.1 to BSOD a few weeks ago.
WTF? I said XP!

Mac the Knife
4th May 2014, 14:56
"I cannot remember the last time XP BSOD on me."

It must be a very limited XP! I've had any number of XPs BSOD on me in my time (only run a couple in VMs now).

But I claim the prize, I've had every single OS I've ever used give me the finger at various times, sometimes several times a day - the only one that I can't recall ever did (for those that remember it and possibly because I only used it a few times was PICK).

Mavericks! Don't make me larf!

Mac

:hmm:

Capn Bloggs
4th May 2014, 15:10
It must be a very limited XP!
It was. Only 154 folders in Program Files. :cool:

vulcanised
4th May 2014, 16:38
My Dell, running XP, has never gone BSOD on me in the eight years it's been in daily use.

A man from Microsoft did phone me to tell me there was a problem with it though. :ooh:

mad_jock
4th May 2014, 17:50
BSOD seem very hardware dependent.

I personally have been very luck and never experienced them much.

So I can completely believe that some get them every day and others never at all.

seacue
5th May 2014, 01:54
Vulcanized said:
A man from Microsoft did phone me to tell me there was a problem with it though I'll wager that the man who phoned had a thick Indian accent. That always seems to be the case when they phone me.