PDA

View Full Version : ...one of those men...

probes
28th Apr 2014, 12:27
it's a translation problem (a fictional character):
...one of those men who shaved twice a day.

sry, it must be one of my very blond moments, but what's the implication? The character is a good one, so it must be a positive thing (not overly fussy about the looks, that is) - so, is he just a very decent man and does not want to appear unshaven, or is the facial hair growth exceptionally fast {= a very (alpha-)male man?}, or what's it? :confused:

Lonewolf_50
28th Apr 2014, 12:31
My dad used an electric razor for years. He'd shave with it in the morning, and when he got home from work he'd first run over his face with the electric razor and change out of his suit (usually jacket and tie). He'd then join the family.

Unless the character is hirsuit, it may be an old fashioned habit related to electric shavers not cutting quite as close as a blade back in the day.

rgbrock1
28th Apr 2014, 12:35
probes:

What LW50 wrote is probably on the mark. The character might also wish to appear clean-shaven at all times. Some have a heavy beard growth (I suffer from that) and if that type of person wishes to appear clean-shaven at all times, then twice a day would do the trick.

onetrack
28th Apr 2014, 12:42
Probes - The "5 o'clock shadow" problem is a real problem for many men. For these blokes, if you have a date with someone you need to impress, and want to get "up close and personal" with them, then an evening shave as well as a morning shave, is a must.

My SO often complains about scratchy stubble when smooching, if I have gone over about 18 hrs without a shave.
I've never found a woman yet who likes sharp stubble, even if they do cope with a beard. :(

tony draper
28th Apr 2014, 14:57
There are places on this Earth where shaving once a day would get you in serious trouble.:rolleyes:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
28th Apr 2014, 15:23
"The best reason I can think of for not running for president of the United States is that you have to shave twice a day."
- Adlai E. Stevenson
If the character has a job which requires a clean public presence, then it may be a nod to this quote.
If not, then it probably is implying manliness/maturity.
Whether this is a valid implication is another question!

Tankertrashnav
28th Apr 2014, 15:40
Didn't seem to be a problem for Abe Lincoln!

Mind you I seem to remember Nixon's ratings took a dive when he appeared on TV on a head to head with Kennedy and he appeared to have a five o'clock shadow, which didnt go down well against Kennedy's clean cut image.

( I did say "image" ;) )

TTN (last shaved c 1990!)

ShyTorque
28th Apr 2014, 21:28
There are places on this Earth where shaving once a day would get you in serious trouble.

Some of those Newcastle women are a bit macho, tbh. ;)

500N
28th Apr 2014, 21:35
Shy

The mind boggles at the thought :rolleyes:

Isn't the term, "squeeze the marrow out of ........ with those thighs" :O

ExSp33db1rd
28th Apr 2014, 22:11
Just had a new passport photo rejected by them what have the power to do so, I had the audacity to have my lips ever so slightly parted, so instead of a photo that showed a reasonable human being obviously enjoying Life ( some may have a different opinion of the translation of 'reasonable', or 'human' ) my passport now shows an image of a proven crook, i.e. evil glaring eyes, downturned mouth etc.

Point is - before the second photo I had a quick once over with the electric razor again, didn't want any chance of showing a possible 5 o'clock shadow, but now realise that was a mistake - I usually get off a long distance, overnight, flight with considerably more than a 5 o'clock shadow, so my clean shaven picture will now be viewed with suspicion !!

World's Gone Mad.

onetrack
29th Apr 2014, 02:18
ExSp33db1rd - Despite your advanced age, you have obviously failed to have it explained to you, that your passport photo is supposed to resemble how you appear, right after you've disembarked from a 19 hr non-stop flight - and just as you've just been pulled aside by a crack, authoritarian-behaving, and obnoxious security team, for a full luggage and body cavity search. :ooh:

In the same vein, your MDL photo is supposed to resemble your facial appearance right after you've been apprehended for running a yellow light and being 4 kmh over the limit. :(

ExSp33db1rd
29th Apr 2014, 02:39
.......for running a yellow light..........That's cissy stuff, in NZ we run RED lights ! ( I think the right to do so was written into the Treaty of Waitangi, certainly everybody takes it as such. )

onetrack
29th Apr 2014, 06:01
I must admit, I was quite surprised, when travelling around Australia a couple of years ago in a motorhome - and occasionally using caravan parks, with their shared ablutions - to find quite a few blokes shaving in the evening in the ablution blocks.

These blokes appeared to have already shaved in the morning, and the ones I noticed doing it all seemed to be partnered - so I reckon it was something to do with the ladies preferring smooching against a smooth face in the evening, bed and couch related, recreational operations. :)

probes
29th Apr 2014, 08:53
thanks, guys, for the suggestions. Some of them are real intriguing, at that! :cool:
First - the character really is a fictional president (Fox must be a lycanthrope actually? :p) - but the 'setting' is quite real and US, so to say. So it probably is about the job. Which would never have occurred to me, btw. Especially as the jaw closest to mine solved the "sharp stubble problem" by letting it grow a little more to get a somewhat softer touch (shaving once a week, with scissors. - well, ok, that's a bit exaggerated, but not much. And no, not as bad as the lycanthrope, thanks for being interested, Henry :p).

P.S onetrack, great ideas for photos, btw! :)

david1300
29th Apr 2014, 09:08
Shaving :ugh: Why would anyone put a sharp blade to their throat in the morning when half awake :eek: I shaved for about 6 months as a callow youth, and that was that :O

Hydromet
29th Apr 2014, 10:15
If we were meant to shave, we would not have whiskers.

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 11:55
henry crun wrote;

Probes - yes, as expressed the meaning is not fully clear.

I might suggest "...one of those men who needed to shave twice a day..." which makes the meaning clearer but is perhaps a little cumbersome.

Alternatives are "...had to shave twice a day..." or "...developed five o'clock shadow by lunchtime..."

Feeling a bit anal today Henry, are we? :}:}:}

Lonewolf_50
29th Apr 2014, 12:04
RG, let's not get into the whole "who has more hair on their backside" digression. :p

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 12:25
Hair one ones backside, LW50? Not me, I use a cream to remove all vestiges of hair on my body. No leg hair, no chest hair, no nothing.

(If I did that, the Mrs. would be long gone!!!! She's always pointing out my hairy ass, hair back, hairy chest, hairy this and hairy that. Oh well.) :ok:

superq7
29th Apr 2014, 12:38
I've recently taken to shaving my armpits, I do a manual job so it keeps me fresh and smelling nice, nothing worse IMO than smelly under arms.

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 13:23
superq:

What's wrong with smelly underarms? It's manly!! Even better: once your armpits are smelling ripe go to your significant other (your wife in this case) and say "C'mere toots, take a whiff of this." Works wonders! :}

500N
29th Apr 2014, 13:26
Superq

I don't think we will ever be able to retrain RGB.

Might have to send him back to the mountains ! :O

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 13:30
500N wrote:

Might have to send him back to the mountains !Eh? Too late bro, I live in the mountains. (Well, Big Hills.)

http://www.homeaway.com/info/files/shared/seo/section-list-icons/Travel%20Idea%20Article%20Images/bigstock-Berkshires-View-From-Mount-Greylock-9840869.jpg

superq7
29th Apr 2014, 13:39
rg, my job entails clearing out some really dirty smelly houses after which my armpits are so smelly that if my dog were to get up close and have a whiff I'm sure he'd faint ! Hence I try and pre empt this with the shaving there of and industrial strength deodorant :)

500N
29th Apr 2014, 13:45
RGB

That is awesome. Wish I lived there !

superq7
29th Apr 2014, 13:50
500, I agree it looks lovely, a bit like Somerset but on a bigger scale.

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 13:50
500N:

Yes, it's quiet. Except for the crack of practice rifle fire, every now and then. :}

And, it's but 55 miles from NYC. The best of both worlds!

superq7
29th Apr 2014, 13:52
Ah ! the downside stray bullets up the backside !

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 13:58
Negative that, superq. I never miss my target. Ever. :ok:

probes
29th Apr 2014, 17:21
no wonder, rgb, then, that you have to live close to the sweet mountain breeze! :}

ok, ok, I'd still visit you there :sad:...

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 17:31
probes:

You can visit me anytime: my door is always open to you.

As for you, 500n: You can visit too. However you, unlike probes, will have to bring a suitcase filled with blank bank checks in order to enter my door!!!

:}:}:}

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 17:37
One more shot of the area I live in.

http://jeffreyopdyke.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/cp-berkshires_mountain-and-valley-566x369.jpg

500N
29th Apr 2014, 17:43
Who needs enemies when you have friends like you ;) :O

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2014, 17:45
I was just bustin' your balls 500N. You should know that. :}

500N
29th Apr 2014, 17:57
Sure do :O

Hence the smilies ;) :O

ian16th
29th Apr 2014, 18:57
55 miles from NYC. The best of both worlds! In the direction of Old Rhinebeck, by any chance?

A Sunday there was my best ever day out in the Western Colonies.:ok:

Not to be missed by anyone visiting the area.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Apr 2014, 04:16
Mr Nitro

A basket of shiny baubles and pretty ribbons will have Mr Rock rolling over at your feet to have his tummy tickled in no time. He'd just try to eat the blank cheques thinking they were some kind of foreign snake.:}

500N
30th Apr 2014, 04:32
SRT

Yes, agree, he's a sucker for all that shiny stuff, no depth or substance
to the man :O

Here's a picture of him :p As you can see he's aging a bit ! :O

http://i58.tinypic.com/116i4nq.jpg

rgbrock1
30th Apr 2014, 12:08
500N:

Where'd you get that photo of me? That is not for public consumption. How dare you. :}

SRT:

What's wrong with snake meat? Cooked properly it's mighty fine. :)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Apr 2014, 14:39
Crocodile Dundee (3/8) Movie CLIP - Outback Meal (1986) HD - YouTube

ShyTorque
30th Apr 2014, 22:12
She's always pointing out my hairy ass, hair back, hairy chest, hairy this and hairy that. Oh well.)

I'd just tell her to stop complaining or it might end up as a case of "I could be hair today, gone tomorrow!"

rgbrock1
1st May 2014, 12:58
SkyTorque:

That was bad. Really bad! :}