PDA

View Full Version : Australia High Court Recognises Third Category of Sex

david1300
28th Apr 2014, 06:49
What is the world coming to :confused::\

"A Sydney resident who fought to be legally recognised as being of non-specific sex has hailed a High Court ruling that New South Wales laws do permit the registration of a category of sex other than male or female.

Norrie was born male but had a sex change and now does not identify as specifically male or female.

After a four-year legal battle, Norrie has won the right to be legally recognised as being of non-specific sex.

Norrie, who had been quietly confident of winning the case, says the historic verdict is a big win for the wider transgender community.

"I screamed a squeal of delight. Very loudly. It's very thrilling, very exciting," Norrie said.

"I'm overjoyed that it has happened. It's important for people to have equal rights in society and if some people are granted the right to have their sex and certain benefits that go along with that, then why shouldn't everyone have that right?

"Why should people be left out because they're not seen as male or female? They should be recognised as whatever they are and allowed to participate in society at an equal level."

The case began in 2010 when Norrie applied for a name change and to be registered as being of non-specific sex.

The registrar at first agreed, but that recognition was revoked, with the registrar arguing it was beyond the power of the law to recognise options other than male or female.

Norrie went on to challenge the decision and last year the NSW Court of Appeal found the existing law could recognise additional options.

The registrar turned to the High Court in an attempt to have that decision overturned, but today the court dismissed the appeal.

It reached the unanimous decision that the law does recognise a person may be neither male nor female."

The above is an extract. You can read the whole story here: :sad: Gender ruling: High Court recognises third category of sex - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-02/high-court-recognises-gender-neutral/5361362)

UniFoxOs
28th Apr 2014, 06:56
We used to have a different category where I once worked. They were called "programmers".

ExXB
28th Apr 2014, 07:02
Not the first country to do this (or similar). While I'm not affected personally I think it's good to recognise that traditional stereotypes may not work in all cases, or for all people.

It makes me wonder if one should be saddled with a gender at all. In these days of non-discrimination and equal opportunities (yes, but a subject for another thread) why do you need to have a gender? :hmm:

Capetonian
28th Apr 2014, 07:13
Norrie was born male but had a sex change and now does not identify as specifically male or female.Then what was the point of the sex change, and why should the authorities pander to people who interfere to this extent with the laws of nature.

That said, I used to work with people who did not identify with either gender. They had names like Dominique and Pascale and Jean-Marie and Marie-Pierre and Michelle/Michel and used to walk round exchanging halitosis with each other all day.

acbus1
28th Apr 2014, 07:36
So we've already got titles Mr, Mrs, Miss and Ms.

What's this new organism?

My suggestion: Mess

500N
28th Apr 2014, 07:39
My suggestion: (Hello) Sailor

;)

Hat, coat, I'll close the door on the way out !

acbus1
28th Apr 2014, 07:51
Between us, we've just redefined the meaning of Sailor's Mess. :uhoh:

500N
28th Apr 2014, 07:52
In that case something you'll need another name for the "head" ! :O

acbus1
28th Apr 2014, 07:57
Then again, I suppose such creatures are deficient in seamen.

500N
28th Apr 2014, 08:04
"I screamed a squeal of delight. Very loudly. It's very thrilling, very exciting," Norrie said."

He might be able to star in "Deliverance 2" ;)

The mind boggles at where this thread is going to end up !

500N
28th Apr 2014, 08:06
"Then again, I suppose such creatures are deficient in seamen."

And if "it" is, he'll find no shortage of sea men willing to
make him squeal again give him a deposit seamen !

sitigeltfel
28th Apr 2014, 08:09
No such thing as sex change in Homo Sapiens. Appearance can be altered by surgery, cosmetics and dress.......but the chromosomes don't lie.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Apr 2014, 09:08
But they can be confusing...
Human Chromosomal Abnormalities Sex Chromosome Abnormalities (http://anthro.palomar.edu/abnormal/abnormal_5.htm)
I find the whole intersex thing a bit weird, and I wonder if people living in the Middle Ages woke up one day and thought 'Jeez, I'm male but feel like a female (or vice versa)...'It strikes me that without modern medicine and surgery the issue would be moot :hmm:. For all that, this person's new category doesn't affect me. It doesn't impact on my life, so what's the diff? I can't see a rush of applicants; most people (straight or gay) know what gender they are.

david1300
28th Apr 2014, 10:43
... I wonder if people living in the Middle Ages woke up one day and thought 'Jeez, I'm male but feel like a female (or vice versa)...'...
Hey, I'm male :), and almost every morning I wake up and think "Hey, I feel like a female" ;) - but in a very different way to your example :ok::p

teeteringhead
28th Apr 2014, 10:55
Coincidentally, since a reorganisation of UK local government in 1965, Middlesex has ceased to exist as a legal entity............;)

Worrals in the wilds
28th Apr 2014, 11:00
Hey, I'm male :), and almost every morning I wake up and think "Hey, I feel like a female" ;) - but in a very different way to your example :ok::pYou'll keep. :E:}
At least you're sure about who you are (as am I); it seems that a very small minority of confused people have trouble working that out. We can rag them for it or help them along and hope they find contentment. Either way, this is a High Court judgement that has absolutely zero percent impact on my life. It must have cost the NSW government a fortune in legal fees to turn up to the HCA and get bowled over, though if they'd won I suppose it would have saved them a bit of cash re-doing all the paper/internet forms to include a third gender option. :hmm:
I don't think the HCA judgement has been published yet, but the original NSWCA judgement is available for those seeking some light pre-bedtime reading... :zzz::}
Norrie v NSW Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages [2013] NSWCA 145 (31 May 2013) (http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/nsw/NSWCA/2013/145.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=norrie%20hca)
We live in a complicated world. I guess that's what happens when most people have more to eat than they need and enough spare time on their hands to think about things.

cattletruck
28th Apr 2014, 11:27
So we've already got titles Mr, Mrs, Miss and Ms.

What's this new organism?

My suggestion: Mess

My suggestion: Mistery

I screamed a squeal of delight.

I'm sure those feeding off the judiciary system screamed an even louder squeal of delight when the case was first raised.

Now sit back and wait for similar recognition to be given to human lamp shades.

500N
28th Apr 2014, 11:32
"It" reminds me of what we sometimes see in wild animals, no balls, not female and often has big horns or tusks, way out of proportion to what is normal !!! :rolleyes:

Flying Lawyer
28th Apr 2014, 13:11
High Court of Australia judgment in the case of Norrie May-Welby (born Bruce Norrie Watson) who, for some reason, is referred to as 'Norrie' without a surname.

NSW Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages v 'Norrie' [2014] HCA 11 (2 April 2014) (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2014/11.html)

ExXB Not the first country to do this (or similar). You may be correct.
Which other countries?

The SSK
28th Apr 2014, 13:21
I thought there were four categories of sex:
Never had it
Getting it
Not getting it
Past it

500N
28th Apr 2014, 13:34
SSK

May I add

Never had it
Getting it
Not getting it and wanting it
Not getting it, not wanting it
Past it

rh200
29th Apr 2014, 00:05
The problem is we see things as one way or another, which is as nature/god intended. Male or Female, but at times there are abnormalities and things go wrong, we are after all just a big chemistry set.

We have definitions as male or female for a reason, and lot of that is for statistical planning in our society. Others are just generic and it doesn't matter a stuff. Yet other reasons revolve around our attitude to sexuality, and thats changing.

So to the huggy fluffies I say this, lets go the whole hog:p, from now on we make a concerted effort.

1) No more male female toilets and change rooms, all unisex.
2) Requirments for same sex only searches to be finished, after all that same sex searcher could be gay, so whats the point?
3) Drug urine testing, no more sex requirments for that, another words a person of either gender can stand there and watch you hold a container to your genitals. As it is a female nurse can watch a male but not the other way around, sounds sexist.

etc etc.

Hydromet
29th Apr 2014, 02:24
I always knew there were three categories of sex - good, even better and effin' fantastic.

Fliegenmong
29th Apr 2014, 10:27
As it is a female nurse can watch a male but not the other way around, sounds sexist.

Really??...that is sexist!, let the girls into the Tats club.....but in the interests of equality, Female only Gyms become illegal....

ExXB
29th Apr 2014, 12:04
ExXB You may be correct.
Which other countries?

India (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-27031180), for one

Fantome
29th Apr 2014, 12:30
we are, after all, just big chemistry sets.

never had one of them to play with. Had a conjuring set once, until the
ex sold it. At which point the magic went out of our marriage.

thinks . . . . would hermaphoditic new south welshpersons welcome
the legally defined status as neither one or the other?

cattletruck
29th Apr 2014, 13:44
All they had to do was change the forms to say "sex at birth" and allow for ticking of both boxes rather than run up costs with a new "it" category.

Re female only gyms, I've told this one before, I had a hot looking friend called Rebecca who used to workout at a female only gym. She mentioned that a lady in there called Darlene was once upon a time a Darryl and that it was normal for her to shower with them. "She's just like all the other girls" said Rebecca. Of which I replied "Hang on a minute Rebecca, no she's not, unlike you and the other girls, Darlene can't wait to show everyone her vagina."