PDA

View Full Version : Powerline adaptors

Tone
27th Apr 2014, 12:54
Daughter has a Netgear powerline system to get ethernet connection to her TV from the router in the office. Everything works OK but she would now like to add a connection in another room. I have a spare TP Link unit and here is the question, will it work with the Netgear system, will they pair together?
Anyone tried this?

BOAC
27th Apr 2014, 13:05
Yes - or no to be helpful!! You will need to Google both and see which 'system' they both use. Some are 'interchangeable', some are not. (Then, of course, try it.............:) )

OFSO
27th Apr 2014, 13:13
...and provided both outlets are on the same phase. My house here is three phase and you can't link across the phases.

Bushfiva
27th Apr 2014, 14:19
Anything relatively recent will interoperate since Homeplug AV won the standards war.

OFSO, you can link across phases by adding a wired switch between one adapter on each phase. It's not elegant.

BOAC
27th Apr 2014, 14:34
It's not elegant - and without clear instruction, potentially a big banger?

Tone
27th Apr 2014, 14:59
Thanks for the info - both manufacturers 'mention' the Homeplug standard but the Homeplug Alliance site does not list TP Link. I guess it's worth a go to see what happens. I'll report back on Wednesday.

Bushfiva
27th Apr 2014, 15:08
BOAC, adapter - Ethernet cable - switch/hub - Ethernet cable - adapter. As easy as that.

BOAC
27th Apr 2014, 15:15
I seem to recall from a previous thread that there may be a H-Plug 1 and 2 standard.

There you go (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/525560-power-line-connectors-plcs.htmlhttp://)

OFSO
27th Apr 2014, 15:36
a wired switch between one adapter on each phase

A capacitor......being ex-GPO and hence trained in the mystique of wires, I chose to run ethernet cables round the house. Nothing like a solid bit of copper between point A and point B.

mixture
27th Apr 2014, 15:59
I chose to run ethernet cables round the house. Nothing like a solid bit of copper between point A and point B.

I concurr.

Any properly installed CAT5e or CAT6 cabling system will outpace and outlast any lousy power line system. Will also beat all WiFi systems.

Bog standard T&E electrical cables were never intended to carry data.... power line is nothing but a lousy bodge.

jimtherev
27th Apr 2014, 17:33
Yerss to all of the above. However...
Keef would probably have, for garters, the guts of anyone who actually recommended powerline and such. (Being a radio amateur in a parallel universe, he has a vested interest in that part of the RF spectrum)

Having run Ethernet (and 10-base-T over multiple roofs before that, for that matter) all over the place, I reckon to know the score. But still, at my advance years, I limit my ladder-climbing to what is absolutely necessary - and am too tight to pay someone to do something I should be able to do myself, soooo,

I'm delighted that WiFi works so well, both with our lappies and our printers and our phones and visitors..... etc.,
So probably won't ever use wired connections again.

OFSO
27th Apr 2014, 18:02
On buying a new house:

Work out the maximum number of cables you will run point to point around the house (audio/video, rf, ethernet, automated lighting, USB etc). Buy ducting twice the size you think you will need. Run it around ever room, over doors, through walls etc.

The OFSO's house is like that. Ducting is fairy discrete. Answers to rare complaints from wife: "do you or don't you want audio/video, rf, ethernet, 12v LED lighting etc, where you normally sit ?"

There ain't no answer to that.

FullOppositeRudder
27th Apr 2014, 23:31
Keef would probably have, for garters, the guts of anyone who actually recommended powerline and such. (Being a radio amateur in a parallel universe, he has a vested interest in that part of the RF spectrum)Me too. The bands are already seriously contaminated with crud from domestic appliances, power line noise and other secondary effects from modern technology. :(

FOR

llondel
29th Apr 2014, 03:50
Powerline adaptors are the spawn of the devil and should be incinerated and buried.

You can't beat a proper Cat5e (or better) cable connection. Bandwidth is going to be more reliable, too.

Booglebox
29th Apr 2014, 10:30
I wait with interest for future improvements of the Power over Ethernet (PoE) standard, when it may be possible to wire up a (LED-lit, Roomba-cleaned) house with no electrical cable, just CAT6... :8 :}

Dont Hang Up
29th Apr 2014, 10:52
Powerline adaptors are the spawn of the devil and should be incinerated and buried.

You can't beat a proper Cat5e (or better) cable connection. Bandwidth is going to be more reliable, too.

I guess you have had a bad experience. Mine with powerline technology is very good. I could not get a wireless signal to penetrate our concrete floors and was reluctant to embark on a major wiring job to install Ethernet cables through three floors.

Four plug-ins at a cost of around 100 quid and I have totally reliable connectivity. Yes the theoretical 500Mbps is wildly optimistic over any real distance, but it is still way more consistent than WiFi.

str12
29th Apr 2014, 19:22
Nope, it is not about a poor experience, power line bleeds energy into the same part of the electromagnetic spectrum used by the Radio Amateur community and interferes with their equipment. It should not have been approved for use in the UK in the first place, someone was not doing their job.

Imagine if one of your neighbours had a microwave oven that interfered with you TV every time they used it?

Please do not use power line.

Keef
29th Apr 2014, 22:00
Powerline adaptors work ... most of the time.

They cause all kinds of crud on the radio spectrum, which you may not care about, but many of us do, and would ban them if we could.

The users of that spectrum may be running significant transmitter power, which means your powerline adaptor will stop working when they transmit. You may find this frustrating, but since you are the secondary user you'll have to put up with it.

Cat 5 cable has a lot to be said in its favour. It's also cheaper than PLAs, although it does require some dexterity to install it in houses that weren't designed for it.

llondel
30th Apr 2014, 03:14
I guess you have had a bad experience. Mine with powerline technology is very good. I could not get a wireless signal to penetrate our concrete floors and was reluctant to embark on a major wiring job to install Ethernet cables through three floors.

No, they radiate low-level noise all over the lower end of the radio spectrum, as any radio amateur can tell you.

stevef
30th Apr 2014, 06:02
My powerline adaptor (ZyX**) regularly dropped out (sometimes five or six times during the evening) and required resetting. So Computer No 2 is now hard-wired. The 6mm blue cable and wall clips are a little unsightly but I can put up with that in exchange for a reliable connection.

The powerline components sure look pretty now they're back in their box though. :)

jimtherev
30th Apr 2014, 08:16
My powerline adaptor (ZyX**) regularly dropped out (sometimes five or six times during the evening)
Maybe you've just discovered you have a radio amateur in the vicinity? :)

Keef
30th Apr 2014, 20:52
It's amazing what 400 watts into a well-matched dipole on 3.5MHz will do to a powerline adapter ... anything up to several hundred yards away.

FullOppositeRudder
30th Apr 2014, 22:46
I knew I shouldn't have sold my FL2100B :{

FOR

ExGrunt
1st May 2014, 07:38
Just as an aside:

I needed to run a cable from one end of a house to the other. The floors and ceilings were concrete, so no easy option and strict instructions from 'the management' of no unsightly cables on display.

I discovered that if I eased up the edge of the fitted carpet there was a gap between the gripper strip and the wall which just fitted a cat 5 cable. The gripper strips provided a degree of physical protection to the cable. The only wrinkle was going through the doors where I had to nick out the metal gripper strips with a pair of tin snips. If I had had a flexi drill extension I could have probably drilled horizontally through and completely hidden the route.

EG

Tone
2nd May 2014, 18:24
Well, the attempt to pair Netgear and TP-Link produced very mixed results. A basic TP-Link unit (single ethernet output) paired with the Netgear straight away. Thinking I was on a winning streak I then decided to try to pair the Netgear with a TP-Link wi-fi unit. The two absolutely refused to talk to each other. I thought about exchanging the Netgear unit connected to the router with the TP-Link to see if I could get the 2 TP-links to talk to each other - but it's Friday and the pub is open......

One step forward, one step back.

jimtherev
2nd May 2014, 22:03
Could be that they are both fighting for the same ip address. They're both typically in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. But if they are both wanting to be called 192.168.0.1 for example, they will never be on speaking terms. Their native addresses should be on the id label of each bit of kit.
Alternatively they could be wanting to be on a different subnet. I recently had a repeater which wanted to be 192.168.2.1. Had to reset it to the '0.xxx range, then it worked perfectly.
hope this makes sense?

Keef
3rd May 2014, 11:22
Been there, Jim. One cheap eBay WiFi unit seemed to work but I couldn't find its address to "talk" to it to change the SSID. It was Cat-5 connected to the router and provided WiFi connection from the garden.

Eventually a sniffer found it was using 192.168.2.254 and nothing in it could be changed. It's in a box out in the workshop now.

The simple principle is that despite all standards, it's rare for one brand of wireless networking kit to play well with another brand. I've become very adept over the years at pulling cables and then fitting Cat 5 plugs on the ends.