PDA

View Full Version : Airline pilot name badges, why?

blackteal
27th Apr 2014, 04:30
Open for discussion.

In the modern age of social media, smart phones with video and camera capabilities, and pilot scrutiny in the advent of accidents (ie. MH370) should the pilot community be happy with full names displayed on their name badges, or wear name badges at all? (I'm not referring to required security ID)

I notice more and more on pilot PA's that pilot's are now only offering their first name, or last, but not both.

What is the benefit of wearing a name badge at all and how many airlines actually wear one?

27th Apr 2014, 08:18
What is the benefit of wearing a name badge

Not old enough to forget who you are:ok:

sms777
27th Apr 2014, 08:38
OK. Forget the ASIC, like you said. I have always respected the way i handled charter flying, name badge with your first name displayed was the the way to introduce yourself and carve respect in the mind of your passengers. It was also reminder of who you were since they would forget soon as they board your aircraft. In airline flying it is irrelevant since you are in the cockpit while they are boarding so there is no time to introduce yourself.

rodchucker
27th Apr 2014, 08:40
Valid issue.
Pilot of va flight to Bali just named in full on 6pm news and goodness knows how they found it but gross invasion of privacy

China Flyer
27th Apr 2014, 09:12
Not sure if it's an invasion of privacy or not.

The Captain's name is on the flight plan, which is accessible to a lot of people, admittedly not easily to the man on the street.

Seems a little like finding out that I am the owner of a house: that can be discovered if you know where to look. That doesn't necessarily make it an invasion.

In the end, we have libel and slander laws, I guess. Let's not get too prissy.

pistinaround
27th Apr 2014, 10:30
China Flyer

The Capts name is not mentioned on the flt plan at said airline but it is listed on the GD for international flights and if the media got his name that way I guarantee there will be a lot of internal questions.

Wally Mk2
27th Apr 2014, 10:46
To quote one of the great sayings in a Bond movie................"names are for tombstones"
Can't see any necessity to have yr name displayed on yr person it's bad enough with the joke ASIC we have to wear as if we are registered criminals!
I doubt too many pax would want to know yr name anyway, I mean flying now is a chore for most pax they hate it as much as any form of public transport, just wanna get there & get off fastl & I can't say as I lame them flying as a pax is bloody awful!.

Wmk2

'pistin' I don't think it would take much for the Media to get someones name especially where Gen Dec's are concerned, I mean there is so much corruption in all walks of life these days nothing & I mean nothing is sacred or private anymore!

waren9
27th Apr 2014, 10:46
i'm happy to stand accountable and responsible for my actions with others lives down the back.

i dont care who knows my name and i think passengers are entitled to it.

maybe thats a part of why our profession is still fairly highly respected/trusted?

whether or not it the public interest is served for media to splash names around is another matter entirely.

gordonfvckingramsay
27th Apr 2014, 11:28
maybe thats a part of why our profession is still fairly highly respected/trusted?

Really? I want to live on your world :)

waren9
27th Apr 2014, 12:53
i said fairly not very

flyhardmo
27th Apr 2014, 13:43
What is the benefit of wearing a name badge at all and how many airlines actually wear one?

I fly with so many different crew that the name badge helps me remember who the other crew are rather than addressing them by rank. :E

PoppaJo
28th Apr 2014, 03:06
At my mob (aussie based) we PA our first and last names to pax, cabin crew do the same on intros and arrival pa's. Never had any problems with it. Our Cabin Crew in charge have first and last names on their badges, pilots don't wear badges though. I know virgin pilots have name badges.

Eg:
"On behalf of Captain <first name><last name> And First Officer <first name><last name> this is a very warm welcome to.....

bloke 3000
28th Apr 2014, 03:10
Name tags are for restaurants, not airlines. Especially purple ones

blackteal
28th Apr 2014, 12:01
Waren9, I would obviously be happy to stand accountable and responsible for my actions, not wearing a name badge or using my full name in a PA does not make less accountable.

PoppaJo, I very recently was quite happy to offer my first and last name in PA's, but after MH370 and now VA41 I'm not quite sure. I just don't feel completely comfortable that the media will use my name responsibly using facts only. Some airlines ban CC wearing security passes on board because it shows their full name. Others don't and as a pax you could google or FB search their full name and airline and you're sure to find their profile.

If you're working in the airline business flying hundreds of people every day you're guaranteed to come across some crazy PAX (each day the law of averages makes sure of this ) they will use your personal details against you.

gerry111
28th Apr 2014, 15:55
blackteal,

This on 'The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions' thingy. Are you lost? :rolleyes:

Old Akro
29th Apr 2014, 00:47
I fly with so many different crew that the name badge helps me remember who the other crew are rather than addressing them by rank.

Doesn't "g'day mate"work?

givemewings
29th Apr 2014, 09:31
Some airlines ban CC wearing security passes on board because it shows their full name. Others don't and as a pax you could google or FB search their full name and airline and you're sure to find their profile.

Or the worse case, having some f*ckwit in a hotel give out your room number to a keen pax only to have them knock on the door at 11pm!! :ugh: At one company we were required to tag our crew bags with name and contact number. I stopped doin that after getting numerous calls (both funny and scary) from people who had obviously looked at them on the carousel. Now it's company name and mailbox number, they know where I live if they lose my bags...

We tend to only use first names in the cabin, some seniors use both, and flight crew tend to use both on the PA. Not really an issue. I like the name tags as it also helps me remember! Unless of course they are cute in which case I guarantee you any member of the crew no matter how junior knows the names of the pilots :E (it's a joke guys)

Old Akro
29th Apr 2014, 09:39
We tend to only use first names in the cabin

You mean the cabin crew don't refer to you as "captain givemewings" ??? :E

givemewings
29th Apr 2014, 09:45
It's usually "yes Boss" :P

Seriously though, I don't operate in the pointy end, though I can see why many people think I do by being on this site..

parabellum
30th Apr 2014, 03:12
Or the worse case, having some f*ckwit in a hotel give out your room number to a keen pax only to have them knock on the door at 11pm!!

Happened to me once in Manchester, but she was very nice and left shortly after breakfast! :)

pistinaround
10th May 2014, 09:57
Slightly off topic but what's with the new QANTAS CC uniform with the pilots wings ( on the wrong side of the chest also !!! ) every airline I see apart form QF has a single wing for CC not two because they are for a pilots what's with that. a clothing designer with no idea or respect for the position ?

And before anybody gets fired up about us all being equal etc look at RAF, RAAF wings in times gone past and present I am sure there are a few here who will have other examples form overseas but at this point in time it is still an Australian based airline and that's how it should still be.

Disrespectful in my opinion.

sms777
11th May 2014, 09:01
Well, since we are talking Qantas they could be all pilots dressed in drag....:E