PDA

View Full Version : conversion TC to FAA (helicopter category)

Davic
26th Apr 2014, 08:00
I have been browsing the TC and FAA websites to find the process to convert a TC ATPL(H) to an equivalent FAA. All I can find is the agreement between the 2 countries as it pertains to airplane category. Any help would be much appreciated.

paco
26th Apr 2014, 09:41
The same arrangement is going to take a while more to complete so you're stuck with the formal process for the moment

Phil

Davic
26th Apr 2014, 18:14
Thanks Paco

MartinCh
28th Apr 2014, 16:10
going from ANY ICAO country to FAA system is easy.
All spelled out clearly in 14 CFR 61.153 and 61.161 namely for rotorcraft/heli.
Strictly speaking, ATP written exam (do not need endorsement for it and ASA prep as well as countless online courses and free online databases, all public)
having ICAO CPL and IR - can be mix of same/different authorities. Not applicable since you must have IR privileges in your ATPL in Canada.

If it's your very first full FAA licence, you're meant to do TSA clearance, since it'd be 'initial' FAA certificate. It's also good to do 61.75 validation (also known as piggyback FAA foreign validation 'based on'), which is paperwork and easier to act as PIC on N-reg for flight test. It's not essential if you're using solo sign off for any local XC to fly to checkride location and the DPE/FAA inspector/examiner is happy to act as PIC both VFR and IFR portions. For the instrument portion, they'd have to 'act' as PIC anyway when you're under hood.

Good thing about FAA ATP flight test is that R22/S300 is just fine, no need for multi-crew ship a la Canada etc.

as a side note, the airplane paperwork conversion didn't 'spill over' to helicopters partly because of the 100hr TC CPL(H) not enough for 150hr for FAA CPL(H).

Have a look on pprune, plenty info if you search. Contact the school of your choice in USA and see if they'd want you to have the 61.75 validation beforehand or not. I recall Evergreen in McMinnville having their Chief pilot taking bunch of Saffas (and one French) Puma pilots for quick ATP conversion to fly their ships in Afg or other dusty place, back in 2011 or 2012, to Hillsboro FSDO for the 61.75 paperwork.