PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Threat on Norwegian ARN-OSL

Birdy767
25th Apr 2014, 19:49
A passenger plane flown by the airline Norwegian made an early landing Friday in Sweden after a passenger said he had planted a bomb on the aircraft, dpa cited a spokesman for the air carrier as saying.

After the man claimed a bomb was in the cargo hold, the pilot of the
Boeing 737 decided to land in Gothenburg, the spokesman was quoted as
saying by the Norwegian news agency NTB.

The passenger accused of making the threat was taken into custody.
Another person on board the plane said he spoke Russian.

The plane had taken off with 94 passengers from Copenhagen and had
been scheduled to land in Oslo.

A bomb squad was inspecting the airplane, the spokesman said.

Stockholm, Jumada II 25, 1435, Apr 25, 2014, SPA

Capt. Inop
26th Apr 2014, 09:41
The passenger accused of making the threat

Was obviously involved in a hijacking in 1993, according to Norwegian media.

Finn47
26th Apr 2014, 14:37
Served 12 years in a Russian prison for the hijack and learned nothing?

During the hijacking in 1993, the man boarded the plane together with his wife and one-year-old daughter. Showing two hand grenades with their pins pulled, the man forced the domestic plane to Sweden. The family had found the life in their home town of Baku unbearable and wanted to the US, TT reports. The man was sentenced by a St Petersburg district court to twelve years in prison. His wife received a six year suspended sentence.Bomb threat man had hijacked plane previously - Radio Sweden | Sveriges Radio (http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=5846839)

Lonewolf_50
26th Apr 2014, 16:56
Is there a reason that gent wasn't on a no fly list? :confused: I suppose not all nations have them.

Capt. Inop
26th Apr 2014, 18:42
My guess is that no fly lists weren't that effective before 9/11, hell we flew with open flight deck doors.

Lonewolf_50
27th Apr 2014, 03:03
My guess is that no fly lists weren't that effective before 9/11, hell we flew with open flight deck doors. I appreciate the point you are making.
The way my reasoning was going, he'd been convicted and jailed a while back for that crap, maybe banning him from flying might be prudent?

Maybe not.

I just realized, 9-11 was about 12 and a half years ago. Time flies.

5 APUs captain
28th Apr 2014, 11:36
Actually this guy is from Azerbaijan.
Turkey calls Azerbaijan "our little sister".

A and C
29th Apr 2014, 06:28
Under Norwegian law it is illegal to ban someone from air travel as this is considered a "right".

This of course will not prohibit people not being allowed to travel if they are unfit to do so ( drunk ).

Lonewolf_50
29th Apr 2014, 14:20
Thanks for that clarification. :ok:

tdracer
29th Apr 2014, 14:39
Under Norwegian law it is illegal to ban someone from air travel as this is considered a "right".

Seriously? In Norway, someone convicted of an airplane hijacking has a "right" to keep flying? :eek: Europeans think US gun laws are :mad:, but at least under US law, convicted felons forfeit some of their rights, including the right to own a gun (or vote).:=

No wonder Norwegian Air can't get permission to fly to the US (and here I thought it was about unions, politics, and labor laws) :ugh:

Ancient Mariner
29th Apr 2014, 15:03
Never trust everything you read on the 'net, and besides, the guy boarded the plane at CPH. That would be in Denmarke methinks and as far as I know Norwegian law does not apply there.

BRE
6th May 2014, 22:13
Also, nobody wants to see ID for flights within the Schengen zone, which comprises the EU minus UK and Ireland plus Norway and Switzerland. He could have booked online and printed boarding passes in just about any name.

lapp
17th May 2014, 19:49
Also, nobody wants to see ID for flights within the Schengen zone, which comprises the EU minus UK and Ireland plus Norway and Switzerland. He could have booked online and printed boarding passes in just about any name.

Actually in my experience IDs are asked when flying within Europe. Some country like mine insist on that also because a driver license is not valid for any international travel.

captplaystation
18th May 2014, 09:50
The times I have flown from CPH (and there are quite a few) no-one checked I.D. at the gate, so if you checked in on-line . . . . . . .

deptrai
18th May 2014, 17:04
I had once forgotten my passport (and no time to go back and get it) and boarded a flight from CDG to Switzerland - which was outside Schengen at that time - using a driver's licence (which was officially NOT acceptable for entering/leaving Schengen). The passport control guy more or less just waved me through, he may have glanced at my drivers licence but I didnt get the impression he really looked at it.

Just last week i boarded a flight from Zurich...boarding pass bleeped red and didnt work when I tried to scan it. Gave it to some security employee there who also tried to scan it...still didnt work, yet I got waved through. Same thing happened at the gate, it didnt work, gate agent tried to scan, then waved me through. It was only when I sat down inside the aircraft I realised it was an old boarding pass for a flight from Geneva (not Zurich), yet same airline. I assume the gate agent just saw airline/destination/my name and actually checked the pax manifest to see I was supposed to be there. By accident I had used an old boarding pass which just happened to still lie in my bag, and I probably also just looked at the destination when I took it out (which happened to be the same). It really wasnt before I sat down, on board, that I saw it was old and said GVA not ZRH.

I never intended to "test" airport security in any way, but imho if people have problems checking IDs and boarding passes...and I can understand it must be a tedious job...well all I wanted to say is I dont trust airport security, or no fly lists, or any such measures too much...(unless it's run by Israelis. I do trust them to be more capable than most others).