PDA

View Full Version : Please help, OASC Tuesday 28th May

leshodge
20th May 2002, 12:03
Hey all, looking at a serious situation, in that i have been working towards a career in the RAF for most of my life. I know the pro's and i beleive i am aware of the con's aswell. I applied for a SSC as a pilot, and have my OASC next Tuesday. I already have my PPL after having been awarded a flying scholarship which accounted for twenty of the hours. i have about 120 hours now. i have been in the cadets for five years too (i said that quietly!, please dont hold it against me!) Just hoping that you can give me some help. I know whats coming, ive read the bumff they send, and ive read the topic about 3rd time lucky, but im hoping that someone has some experience i can really make use of.
What current affairs topics should i talk about, and which websites are the best for researhing a topic, only the BBC and CNN are not very good in my humble immature opinion.
Thankyou

Grobbler
20th May 2002, 14:09
Watch 2DTV, best current affairs program out. Certainly the most accurate. I'd like to know exactly how much input Proffesor Liebschtrum is getting at the moment.

Try searching the archives on this forum. Plenty of good gen there.

Good luck. You may need it.

Slow Roll
20th May 2002, 15:45
Certainly there is no substitute for experience i.e. reading papers all your life will inevitably help. It's hard to find current affairs snippets as news items tend to expand on subjects that develop over time as opposed to restating old history.

You might try talking to people - parents, teachers, friends, ATC officers - whoever you've got access to. Sometimes even a small amount of background knowledge can explain a lot about current problems.

Also, people at OASC will most likely be discussing such topics frantically in the bar before the interview, though I wouldn't rely on that as my sole source of info....

All in all, good luck. Serious digging is likely to turn up enough in eight days if you have that time to spare.

Best of luck

PS. Agree on the 2DTV thing

STANDTO
20th May 2002, 17:51
It's near Sleaford, if thats any help

WE Branch Fanatic
20th May 2002, 18:28
Don't Panic.

Try looking at www.sourceuk.net for general current affairs/politics. Also try www.tgarden.co.uk (this will get you redirected to a newer site) for discussion of issues in the fields of defence and foreign policy.

Also try the political parties' websites, and the MOD and RAF websites.

Good luck.

Follow Me Through
20th May 2002, 18:44
Les

If you have a week to go the best advice is to get hold of a magazine from WH Smiths or the library if you are lucky. Something like the Spectator or Newsweek. Make sure you get the ones that cover the last years news. i.e. 2001 Newsweek.

The question from the board will be something like "How interested are you in keeping up with what is going on in the world?" followed by "How do you keep up with events?" Assuming you say how exciting these things are for you then they will ask " What has caught your attention overseas in the last year/couple of years?" followed by "and on the UK scene?"
You therefore need to have 4 or 5 big topics well researched in both areas. They will decide which they want to ask you about!!

Finally, do not be afraid to say when you do not know the answer.

Good luck.

X Blunty
20th May 2002, 19:00
Good luck.

You mention that you have applied for a SSC - why not a PC? There is no reason why this should be held against you, but you will almost certainly be asked why the RAF should spend inordinate amounts of money for you to leave almost as soon as you become productive. Just make sure you can justify your reasons.

Talking Radalt
20th May 2002, 21:59
Q: So how interested are you in world events?
A: Ummm, not at all really.

Q: So what do you do to keep up to date with world events?
A: Errrr nuffink?.

:rolleyes:

Klingon
20th May 2002, 22:08
All of the above and............if they ask you what you will do if you are not selected for pilot training tell them to ****** off 'cos you're off to join Virgin/BA/Go/Monarch/Britannia and, no you dont want to be a Navigator/A Engineer/ALM/AE Op/Blunty.

Hesitate for just a minute and they'll be fitting you up with a skirt and assigning you to the WRAF block if thats the quota goals.

Take that from an ex personnel officer and PSOC graduate.:cool:

leshodge
21st May 2002, 11:05
Cheers, its not that i havent been keeping on top of my current affairs, i was just wondering what the 'hot topics' are likely to be. And whether there was any area i should avoid discussing. Would it pass for me to talk about Operation Condor in the aftermath of Sep 11th for example?! i dont know what sort of knowledge as in depth wise they will expect. I know a lot about ireland but i was discouraged by my CO from talking about it because it is so contentious. Am i also allowed to talk about Sierra Leone? or is that too old news?! What opinion should i formulate, as in, should i side with the Forces everytime, or tell them what i think? (i know theres the whole be yourself, and be honest thing, but i dont wanna go criticising anything if they wont like it). Another thing i wonder if i could discuss, is the 'rise' of the right wing in european politics, or is politics avoided!? Should i talk about the continuing no fly zones over Iraq? And the dreaded biggie of Israel and Palestine. Just a few of the things floating round in my head. Thanks for your feedback!
Lee

WE Branch Fanatic
21st May 2002, 11:20
If the OASC is anything like the AIB, then ANYTHING might come up. Sorry that probably doesn't help, but thats that.

But make sure you know about

1. Big news stories/issues.
2. Ongoing operations/deployments.
3. NATO and other alliances.

Be preaped for "What are your views on........" type questions. It doesn't matter what you say, just as long as you have sensible, thought out things to say. They might ask your views on UK participation in the missile defence thing, or in Afgahnistan. A question I got asked at the AIB was "how would you justify defence spending to people worried about their taxes?".

One last point, do not waffle. If you are just making it up, they will know. So just say your piece ("I think A, B, C, D") then leave it.

Good Luck.

Klingon
21st May 2002, 19:26
Dear Lee

You have too many questions in your head.

Dont try to find the answer that you think they may want......tell them what you honestly think. Nothing is off the agenda...if you start to discuss sensitive material they will shut you up and will either be impressed that you have such insight, or will lock you up as a threat to the national security.

Your answers should show balance and informed opinion.

If they ask you how you would feel about killing people, dont slaver at the mouth and go glossy eyed saying"When"? and "How Many"? try and give a sensible answer like "with what"? or "on who's budget"?

OASC or DORIS, whatever they call themselves these days, will run a mile from candidates who show Rambo or CCF intensity. Chill out and enjoy.:cool:

iainrphillips
21st May 2002, 20:47
Well enjoy OASC. As a failed aviator, who now flies for fun ,my advice is to show a reason why you want to be in the RAF.as a pilot. Do not accept second best! I suggest a really good read of The Economist or the magazine "This Week". You can name your own subject. The question will be - if you were the PM what would be on the top of your in-tray. And what would you do about it? The Board are not there to fail you. We need the right stuff but you do need to argue what you think about current affairs. For God sake you could be going into combat and need to explain why we are doing something ----- to other people. Good luck, to fly in the RAF is the only way to go.

Iain

Talking Radalt
21st May 2002, 23:18
Don't forget it's not just the news itself but HOW the great (?) Britsh public have received it or reacted to it that's sometimes worth mentioning. When I went through Muppet Mansion there was an international sporting story with political undertones in all the broadsheets. It made some light relief in amongst the usual boring stuff. I even talked about how a particular film was dominating the "and finally" portion of the news at the time as well, using it as an example of the power of mass media.
As I've said elsewhere, you don't have to win every battle to win the war.:cool:

(I swear I was interviewed by Waldorf and Stadler and the medic doing eye tests was Miss Piggy hence "Muppet Mansion")

AirfixPilot
22nd May 2002, 00:21
As said before, check out The Economist. They've got a good website, with many in-depth pieces. Worked for me!

Maybe not always, but in my case the interviewer seemed to steer away from the hottest current affairs' topic, as it seemed to be the one everyone was reading up on. They asked me what was going on, nationally and internationally, and quizzed me on one of my chosen special subjects. Hence know enough to get by on anything you mention at that stage, I'd say.

Oh, and as people have said, don't bull****. They'll keep asking for more info, and if you run out of jazz, tell 'em so!

Good luck!

Mike RO'Channel
22nd May 2002, 08:47
Many Good tips above but one of the mains things is to 'be yourself'. Don't try to put on a false accent/tone/manner. Don't try to come up with the answer you think they wan't to here. Say what you REALLY think (well, within reason!) mainly because its easier and you will be more fluent.
Other points:
They start assessing you from the minute they call out your name for the interview - first impressions count!
If you get to Part 2 - be a good team member as well as a good leader.
Don't be afraid to use the rest of the team
Most importantly - build a bridge - all exercises involve a bridge somewhere!

Speed Twelve
22nd May 2002, 17:34
Lee,

Of all the FS cadets I trained last year, and there were about twenty of them, you are the one I reckon has the best chance of making FJ pilot.

Remember that OASC is looking at the overall picture: weaknesses in certain areas can be balanced with strengths elsewhere. Current Affairs knowledge isn't the be-all and end-all, but you will be expected to have thought about it before interview.

Push for pilot; as has been mentioned, have the courage of your convictions and tell them you're not interested in other branches, but be diplomatic about it. On my OASC board interview I had to explain to a Wing Commander Nav why I didn't want to be a navigator! Worked out in the end, though.

Having flown with you for 3 weeks I reckon you have a lot going for you, not least a considerable amount of piloting ability and self-confidence. Relax at OASC, try not to be overbearing in the Part II phase and you'll be OK.

Good Luck

ST.

WPO
22nd May 2002, 19:44
Why are you all encouraging this misguided chap to join a shambles of an outfit?

Speed Twelve
22nd May 2002, 22:55
Doesn't look like anyone's going to bite, WPO. Give up, mate...

ST