PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia Flight hijacked

73to91
25th Apr 2014, 07:24
Coming through now. Reports BNE-DPS flight hijacked and forced to land in Bali.

Hope all ok with pax and crew, if true

Iron Bar
25th Apr 2014, 07:26
ABC picked up the story . . . . .

Kenneth
25th Apr 2014, 07:33
VOZ65 maybe, SYD - DPS has turned now tracking towards DN

Captinbirdseye
25th Apr 2014, 07:48
Seems to be a drunk pax has tried to enter the cockpit. VA are now saying not a hijacking situation.

falconx
25th Apr 2014, 07:48
Drunk passenger tried to enter cockpit

lurker999
25th Apr 2014, 07:49
Oh well a couple of years in kerobakan will sort out any issues the pax might have.

Might add more as a side effect

Ken Borough
25th Apr 2014, 08:02
Drunk passenger tried to enter cockpit

At the risk of being 'flamed'. I ask

1. Does Virgin Australia have a 'responsible service of alcohol' policy?

2. Do Virgin Australia cabin crew regularly patrol the cabin to check that the punters are behaving and not consuming any duty free purchases?

If the flight originated from Brisvegas, the drunk punter must have gotten himself into that condition while en route to Bali. I hear on the ABC conflicting reports: one about a drunk, the other about a sick pax. How will Virgin spin out of this incident that has closed an international airport?

Is this a matter if reap what you sow?

Gate_15L
25th Apr 2014, 08:10

2. Do Virgin Australia cabin crew regularly patrol the cabin to check that the punters are behaving and not consuming any duty free purchases?

1. No they don't. They serve the pax as much alcohol as they can handle and have competitions on who they can get the most drunk. They take bets too. If you win, you get your face painted by one of the cabin crew. Thats why there's so many drunk unruly passengers that make the news all the time on Virgin.

2. No they don't. They get pi$$ed with the punters. Its a complete free for all.

3. Your a complete pillock and only marginally more creditable than GT. Do you work at "Australia's only Boeing 777 simulator" as well?

Consider yourself flamed....

Oriana
25th Apr 2014, 08:16
Gate 15L :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

KRUSTY 34
25th Apr 2014, 08:49
I do like however the way the VA "official" said "there was no threat to the passengers safety". (source Nine MSN).

The fact that a drunken imbecile may have attempted to wreak havoc in the flight deck meant of course there would have been a threat to everyone's safety! just say it as it is.

Bloody PR, Spin Doctor oxygen thief.:ugh:

Just N Cider
25th Apr 2014, 08:51
… forced to land in Bali...

Isn't that the destination the aircraft was going anyway?
Awesome reporting :ok:

spinex
25th Apr 2014, 09:36
Admirable attempts to hose down the situation girls, but there are a couple of issues outstanding;

- FR24's display had the flight squawking 7500 - was this artistic licence or fact?
- who overreacted, the Indons (5 trucks worth of excitable gun toting types and closing the airport) or the crew?
- note to VA PR, a drunk pax stirring shyte on a flight isn't a medical emergency (as stated in their first statements to the media) and saying so only makes it look as though you're hiding something.

The only upside of this debacle is that young fella me lad is going to have plenty of time to reflect on his idiocy in a less than salubrious environment.

Potsie Weber
25th Apr 2014, 09:56
who overreacted, the Indons (5 trucks worth of excitable gun toting types and closing the airport) or the crew?

This might help you guess!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1753881.1397255644!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/indonesia-plane-intercepted.jpg?enlarged

-JLS-
25th Apr 2014, 09:59
Isn't that the destination the aircraft was going anyway?
Awesome reporting :ok:

The first of a worrying new breed of hijacker, taking over the aircraft without gaining access to the flight deck and demanding to be flown to their intended destination in an on-time manner.

RATpin
25th Apr 2014, 10:06
-JLS-,troubling indeed.
:E

Cactusjack
25th Apr 2014, 12:04
Perhaps the pax was angry that there was no face painting onboard, no wacky dance routines and no humorous banter during the safety demo?

Blueskymine
25th Apr 2014, 12:12
So when's this going to become all about Qantas?

The Banjo
25th Apr 2014, 12:21
Bogan.

The benefit is a net increase in the IQ of both Australia and Indonesia with his tranfer to the Indon Judicial system :D

Cactusjack
25th Apr 2014, 12:44
The guy is a plumber from NSW. He might get to spend some time checking out the plumbing at Hotel K.

blueloo
25th Apr 2014, 13:29
So when's this going to become all about Qantas?

It can't be about QANTAS. We don't fly anywhere anymore :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Oh wait a minute. Did I just make it about QANTAS? :}

YPJT
25th Apr 2014, 15:06
So you think the Indonesians overreacted? Wait until November when the combined efforts of Fedpol, Qpol and the ADF swing into top gear for the G20. The debacle that was CHOGM will pale into insignificance.

swh
25th Apr 2014, 16:47
Bro watch the formal dress jandals.

1a sound asleep
25th Apr 2014, 19:25
Fed up with bad behaving pax. I do really hope he ends up in jail

Mach E Avelli
25th Apr 2014, 21:16
He would already be in custody, which can be unpleasant enough.
But now the Aussie embassy up there will be working to have him represented and sent home, all expenses paid by we, the taxpayers.

Re squawking 7500 - wouldn't that be a bit excessive unless the guy had made a direct threat? Maybe for disruptive pax we need another code to get the cops to the aircraft in a hurry; batons and tasers at the ready.

RENURPP
25th Apr 2014, 21:30
Maybe for disruptive pax we need another code to get the cops to the aircraft in a hurry; batons and tasers at the ready.

Why not simply advise them via radio/acars?

500N
25th Apr 2014, 21:31
"But now the Aussie embassy up there will be working to have him represented and sent home, all expenses paid by we, the taxpayers."

Back Home and released by Xmas if the fluffies have anything to do with it !

oldhasbeen
25th Apr 2014, 23:19
A couple of points come to mind.
If the cabin crew had been serving this git grog for the last 3 odd hours, surely they would have known he was two sheets. If so why wasn't this communicated to the skipper. If it was, when was the last time a successful hijack was carried out by a retard drunk?? Especially since enhanced security flight deck doors were installed. Squawking the code for a drunk bashing on a door that could take a decent explosive seems a bit harsh. But then again, I wasn't there, so who am I to judge?

ad-astra
25th Apr 2014, 23:21

If the flight originated from Brisvegas, the drunk punter must have gotten himself into that condition while en route to Bali. I hear on the ABC conflicting reports: one about a drunk, the other about a sick pax. How will Virgin spin out of this incident that has closed an international airport?

Is this a matter if reap what you sow?

Risk assessment done.

1 On what planet do you live and how on earth did you escape it?

2 Please do us all a favour and don't listen to the voices in your head.

Who would have thought there could be more than one lunatic like our mate sobering up in Bali.

At least he will be sober later today!

Jesus wept.

Alloyboobtube
25th Apr 2014, 23:23
What about the crew have they been allowed to return home

ad-astra
25th Apr 2014, 23:26
If the cabin crew had been serving this git grog for the last 3 odd hours, surely they would have known he was two sheets. If so why wasn't this communicated to the skipper. If it was, when was the last time a successful hijack was carried out by a retard drunk?? Especially since enhanced security flight deck doors were installed. Squawking the code for a drunk bashing on a door that could take a decent explosive seems a bit harsh. But then again, I wasn't there, so who am I to judge?

YOUR RIGHT!

You are not in a position to judge.

Talk about the armchair experts all vying for their 10 lines of fame on PPRuNe!

Unbelievable!

Mach E Avelli
25th Apr 2014, 23:32
The problem with sending a message to the company to call the cops is that some tosser from the PR department, or some local manager who does not want a scene or schedule disruption, may water down or even disregard the captain's instruction.
Having an internationally-recognised code that stopped short of requiring armed intervention but still triggered official action would remove any management indecision or interference.
In certain jurisdictions, banging off the hijack code for a relatively minor incident could have unintended consequences.

BPA
25th Apr 2014, 23:33
Has everyone forgotten what happened on the impulse B717 flight 7-8 years ago, when a passenger with mental health issues tried to enter the flight deck. I'm sure the injured Cabin Crew on that flight haven't forgotten it. One passenger either drunk or suffering from mental health issues can be just as dangerous as any terrorist.

ad-astra
25th Apr 2014, 23:33
In certain jurisdictions, banging off the hijack code for a relatively minor incident could have unintended consequences.

In certin circumstances he would have a bullet in the back of the head from an ASO!

drpixie
26th Apr 2014, 00:01
From AIC H15/20

The pilot of an aircraft encountering an emergency in flight, other
than loss of two--way communications, should select code the follow codes:

7700 in-flight emergency
7500 unlawful interference
7400 drunk passenger banking on door
7370 drunk passenger propositioning cabin crew
7360 sober passenger propositioning cabin crew
7350 drunk passenger being offensive
7340 drunk passenger during flight to alcohol-free country
7270 group: exhaustion of in-flight duty-free supplies, specifically
7271 gin
7272 rum
7273 whisky
7274 cigarettes
7100 group: flight-crew unable to perform required maneuvers, specifically
7101 visual approach
7102 RNP approach
7103 RMP approach (Canadian aircraft only)
7104 any approach
7110 IPad batteries exhausted
7120 crew unable to use or understand radio phraseology
7121 crew speaking too fast
7122 crew mumbling
7123 ATC speaking too fast
7124 ATC mumbling
7150 pilot behind aircraft
7155 pilot more than 10 mins behind aircraft

oldhasbeen
26th Apr 2014, 00:02
Ad astra.. I neither seek fame here nor am I an armchair expert. I merely wished to raise these points for mature discussion, something which you are clearly incapable of doing.
What transpired led to an international airport being closed for some time and a lot of costly diversions being carried out. The authorities acted in accordance with set down procedures as they would. If the correct procedure for dealing with unruly passengers in VA is to squawk h/j , well then so be it.
As always, we can learn from these experiences without being denigrated for putting the discussion out there. Please remember the first "P" in this forum is professional .

RENURPP
26th Apr 2014, 00:31
The problem with sending a message to the company to call the cops is that some tosser from the PR department, or some local manager who does not want a scene or schedule disruption, may water down or even disregard the captain's instruction.
Having an internationally-recognised code that stopped short of requiring armed intervention but still triggered official action would remove any management indecision or interference.
Not sure where you work but I do not believe a request as indicated would be ignored. Radio will do me fine thanks.

Please keep in mind this is in response to the suggestion of a new code for disruptive pax, not in any way a criticism of what happened as I don't know and therefore I'm not in a position to comment.

waren9
26th Apr 2014, 00:42
the code reported to be used is for unlawful interference which on the face of it happened.

without being there, doesnt seem to me like they over reacted at all.

alls well that ends well :ok:

Ken Borough
26th Apr 2014, 00:45
Ad Astra manages to personally attack those who make valid and logical points. Like those of his ilk, his childish comments say more about him than anything else. His ad hominem attacks do nothing to advance his argument, if he has one. :ugh:

On publicly available information, this incident appears to reflect poorly on the professionalism of the airline concerned. Whoever has heard before of a drunk pax being responsible for the closure of an international airport with subsequent disruption and inconvenience?

If VA had the wisdom, they'd have fitted ACARS to their aircraft. As we know, this system, and the digital sat-phone, is probably the most secure way in which to communicate. A lot of issues can be easily resolved with either tool.

waren9
26th Apr 2014, 00:49
ken it wasnt virgin that told the indos to halt all other operations. they did it themselves.

hindsight is a wonderful thing after the fact

RENURPP
26th Apr 2014, 00:50
Whoever has heard before of a drunk pax being responsible for the closure of an international airport with subsequent disruption and inconvenience?I've heard of rogue knitting needles closing airports.

I think ad astra's points are well made.

ACARs is secure is it?

Towering Q
26th Apr 2014, 00:54
What is it with these brain-dead Neanderthals?

They're travelling to Bali, a destination where they remain drunk for the entire duration of their stay. Why do they have to start before they even arrive? :ugh:

500N
26th Apr 2014, 01:02
Towering

It's the "Australian way", you need to get drunk to supposedly have a good time and show how macho you are ;)

nitpicker330
26th Apr 2014, 01:10
Ken-----mate really? I don't work for Qantas or Virgin but I can tell you that if some bloke was banging heavily on my cockpit door only 3 feet behind my head then I sure as heck would seriously consider the appropriate course of action unless the cabin crew were able to resolve the situation.

You cannot be serious with your Monday morning quarterbacking of this incident WITHOUT knowing the facts.

As for the Indo's closing the Airport, that's their call mate and not Virgins. Sensible considering the situation they were trying to determine.

PULL YA HEAD IN.

Ken Borough
26th Apr 2014, 01:13
ACARs is secure is it?

No one said it was but it's probably the most secure.

chookcooker....... Couldn't possibly be as professional as the other mob

We're not discussing 'the other mob' as you so eloquently describe another airline. :ugh:

What is it with these brain-dead Neanderthals?

They're travelling to Bali, a destination where they remain drunk for the entire duration of their stay. Why do they have to start before they even arrive?

They don't, but they do! If the guy was drunk before he boarded, why was he allowed board? If he managed to get inebriated on the flight, WTF were the FAs doing by serving him alcohol? If he managed to consume his carry-on duty free, why weren't the FAs sufficiently alert to prevent the bloke from drinking it? There can not be any excuses for this bloke who surely embarrasses most Australians but there must have been some mitigation strategies available to the crew before the problem turned phugly?

I don't work for Qantas or Virgin

Nit, neither do I but I do know that professional airlines give their people the best of tools and training to cope with these situations. I'll say no more and take your friendly, well-meaning advice.

Gate_15L
26th Apr 2014, 01:14
Ad Astra manages to personally attack those who make valid and logical points. Like those of his ilk, his childish comments say more about him than anything else. His ad hominem attacks do nothing to advance his argument, if he has one. :ugh:

No it's your inane suggestions and complete lack of understanding of professional aviation, it's operations and it's systems which have to do with complete disrespect we have for your comments.

On publicly available information, this incident appears to reflect poorly on the professionalism of the airline concerned. Whoever has heard before of a drunk pax being responsible for the closure of an international airport with subsequent disruption and inconvenience?

Obviously have a axe to grind with Virgin hu? Your not known as 4_holer are you? or may AJ?

If VA had the wisdom, they'd have fitted ACARS to their aircraft. As we know, this system, and the digital sat-phone, is probably the most secure way in which to communicate. A lot of issues can be easily resolved with either tool.
There's that complete lack of understanding showing it's ugly Ken Borough shaped head again which your completely known for.
ACARS isn't secure. Sat phone wouldn't have done anything, because the response from the Indonesians would have been completely the same.

ad-astra
26th Apr 2014, 01:18

Ken

It is apparent that you know nothing of VAA operations nor of what we have installed.
Your own words do more for my case than anything I can say.
Keep it up!

If you had the wisdom you would perhaps sit on the sideline and spare us your rants.

If ASO's had of been on board they too would have treated the situation with the same degree of importance that the crew and authorities thought it deserved.

RENURPP
26th Apr 2014, 01:32
They don't, but they do! If the guy was drunk before he boarded, why was he allowed board? If he managed to get inebriated on the flight, WTF were the FAs doing by serving him alcohol? If he managed to consume his carry-on duty free, why weren't the FAs sufficiently alert to prevent the bloke from drinking it? There can not be any excuses for this bloke who surely embarrasses most Australians but there must have been some mitigation strategies available to the crew before the problem turned phugly
All I can say is that you are ignorant of what goes on in the airline you work for.
I can't recall how many times drunks have made it on board QF aircraft undetected by ground staff, cabin crew etc and then created some form of drama on board, nothing like this situation however thats more good luck than good management.
Drunks get into nightclubs undetected, some even drive their cars undetected. some have their own alcohol they poor into a mixer so no one is aware i.e. rum/scotch in with a coke and presto. For all I know it may have been drugs mixed with alcolhol. So CC give him a drink or 2, he pops a pill.................... How do you suggest CC monitor 100+ passengers 100% of the time. You are way out of touch.
Would I be close if I suggested you are an auditor in QF of some form?

ad-astra
26th Apr 2014, 01:46
Ad astra.. I neither seek fame here nor am I an armchair expert. I merely wished to raise these points for mature discussion, something which you are clearly incapable of doing.
What transpired led to an international airport being closed for some time and a lot of costly diversions being carried out. The authorities acted in accordance with set down procedures as they would. If the correct procedure for dealing with unruly passengers in VA is to squawk h/j , well then so be it.
As always, we can learn from these experiences without being denigrated for putting the discussion out there. Please remember the first "P" in this forum is professional .

and

oldhasbeen

The problem I have is that as Judge, Jury and Executioner you make sweeping statements of fact of what occurred in the cabin, what the actions of the Cabin Crew were, what was communicated to the flight crew, what concerns the Flight Crew had, and then criticise the Cabin Crew and Flight Crew for the actions they took because they don't fit in with your opinion.

Oh......... "but I wasn't there so who am I to judge"

Spare me the justification of "I merely wished to raise these points for mature discussion" ..........What utter rubbish.

With your "Capital P" I would expect any crew to treat the incident as a real attack on the security of the aircraft until such time as the threat was removed.

If that shuts down an airport then so be it!

If you place more concern on how the Indonesians acted than what transpired behind that cockpit door and how this crew responded then yes you are correct I am incapable in having a mature discussion with you!

Cactusjack
26th Apr 2014, 01:47
I still do not know why people engage with that numpty Ken Borough. He is a low level QF minion of no importance, and a serial plane spotter. Some days I suspect he is besties with Geoffrey Thomas. Ken also fills up the internal QF system with pointless blogs about facts unknown, based on his own limited and lame views and grossly inaccurate understanding of aviation.
Ken, go back to your scanner and keep recording plane registrations and noting interesting colour schemes!

Gate_15L
26th Apr 2014, 01:48
Dear Ken.....

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/559/stewie.png

Wally Mk2
26th Apr 2014, 01:52
.................ya gotta love PPrune talk about entertaining, 50 or so posts in a few hours with lots of personal attacks about something that was handled the way the Capt saw fit at the time, his decision.
Drunk people fly everyday/night here in Oz, way of life to be expected & simply put use whatever force is necessary to subdued anyone whom YOU perceive as a threat.

Am surprised the Mods haven't slammed this one shut, I mean they lock a lot of threads for a lot less, they must be away for the long W/E at a group hug resort:}

Wmk2

p.s......'drpixie' love those made up codes:-):-)

Capt Claret
26th Apr 2014, 03:05
Was the drunk really trying to get into the flight deck? Or was he merely being funny/smart (in his inebriated mind)?

Perhaps he was, perhaps he wasn't.

GoNorth
26th Apr 2014, 03:18
(in his inebriated mind)?

Or mental state.......

It doesn't take much alcohol to trigger deeper issues.

Ken Borough
26th Apr 2014, 03:33
Even though I said that I would take nitpicker's advice and pull my head in, I can't allow Gate_15L's latest effort pass without comment. His post asking me if I'm 'retarded' is not only offensive to me but to anyone who has the misfortune to know and love anyone who was born with or acquired a disability who the uneducated in our midst would call 'retarded'. It's time to grow up. With that, I'm outta here and I'll leave the precious here to insult someone else who has the temerity to disagree with their jaundiced points of view. :ok:

Marauder
26th Apr 2014, 03:55
I don't know how many times I've seen little old ladies etc, shake the cockpit door (dispute the sign CREW only) while looking for the forward ****ter

Toruk Macto
26th Apr 2014, 04:15
Australian airlines should be worlds best at handling drunk passengers . Russians probable get on board with a higher BAC but seem to be able to handle it .

spinex
26th Apr 2014, 05:50
Jesus wept, what is it about this place that one daren't question whether someone had made the right call without half the posters carrying on like a bunch of bogans defending their precious footy team?

The Indons haven't done themselves any favours in the past but on this occasion I find it difficult to fault their response to a hijack squawk - reports are this tool was restrained onboard before they even landed so a simple radio call to have him removed by the boys with white holsters would have sufficed (yes 20/20 hindsight, but you can bet your bottom dollar the debrief will be exactly along those lines).

Captain Sand Dune
26th Apr 2014, 06:06
Quite interesting how this has turned into something I’d expect to see in a primary school.
Meanwhile, the latest from news.com.au;
Matt Christopher Lockley, 28, told police who questioned him into the night in Bali, “I am not drunk, I am not drunk”.
Before leaving Brisbane he had only: “two Voltaren, four Panadol and two cans of Coca-Cola,” police said.
Police sources say that he claimed he was banging on the cockpit door because he wanted medication from his luggage. And cabin crew described him to police as being unstable and appearing paranoid.
So he placed his ‘medication’ in the cockpit?
Lockley was today taken to a Bali hospital where police learned he was being treated for a medical condition.
He was travelling to Bali in search of his Indonesian wife, whom he hasn’t seen in two weeks, police spokesman Hery Wiyanto said.
What was the condition – fcukwititis? He was ‘searching’ for his wife. Why ‘searching’. Did she do a runner?
The article includes a bunch of pictures of Mr ockley..ummmm...’celebrating’ after his release in Indonesia.

Qantas 787
26th Apr 2014, 06:25
Lets take the attention if both the flight and cabin crew for a moment - how long will it be before alcohol is banned on flights? If idiots continue to do things like this, airlines will ban serving and selling alcohol.

500N
26th Apr 2014, 06:30
Never, it's too much of a revenue stream.

TWT
26th Apr 2014, 06:43
Who said he's been released ? Those pics are obviously from a previous trip

Captain Sand Dune
26th Apr 2014, 07:06
I got that from caption of a photo showing Mr Lockley 'celebrating'.

With friends ... Matt Lockley, who has been released from an Indonesian prison cell.

Now he's claiming he mistook the cockpit door for a toilet door. Hardly the actions of someone who
two Voltaren, four Panadol and two cans of Coca-Cola

TWT
26th Apr 2014, 07:34
He was released from a prison cell to hospital last night :ok:

wateroff
26th Apr 2014, 07:42
Concur - highly possible he was looking for the ****ter, doors look the same hehee

Jetstar musta been full:E

TBM-Legend
26th Apr 2014, 08:16
He must be using the same defence lawyer as Oscar Pestorious....

Anyway the other bogans on board must have enjoyed the little show. Probably thought it was part of the in-flight entertainment! It's a change from FA's climbing out of overhead lockers I suppose...

wheels_down
26th Apr 2014, 08:19
Yikes :eek:

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/04/25/1226896/379789-1761e350-cc6f-11e3-9484-00a97bf135c7.jpg

onetrack
26th Apr 2014, 08:40
I dunno what's scarier - a bloke who didn't take his paranoia pills banging on the cockpit door - or a dozen Indonesian soldiers running around with cocked firearms, pointing every which way. :suspect:

DancingDog
26th Apr 2014, 08:58
On Ch 7 news tonight the reporter was trying to get comment from random relatives all over the state. Basically she was told by each of them to fu€k off :ok:

So they put pics from the guys facebook page on tele instead and base their judgements off of those :=

Howard Hughes
26th Apr 2014, 09:12
7270 group: exhaustion of in-flight duty-free supplies, specifically
7271 gin
7272 rum
7273 whisky
7274 cigarettes
Great work, reminds me of an ad from the 70's...

Captain: "I'm sorry to announce we've run out of Bacardi"
Passengers (seen parachuting away): "Never gonna fly with that lot again"!!

Roj approved
26th Apr 2014, 09:17
Give the crew a break, they handled it as they saw it.

Drunk bogans with "****wititis" are the bread and butter of these Bali flights (and Phuket and the Gold Coast)

The cabin crew deal with this all the time,(even though they shouldn't have to) and are very good at controlling them and communicating with the cockpit crew.

I'm sure the crew know the difference between mistaking the cockpit door for the dunny, and banging on the cockpit door:rolleyes: (you can see them in the camera)

Maybe it is a case of finally needing some action?

I have personally heard a Virgin flight call for the Police on arrival in Bali to deal with a disruptive passenger and not have them turn up after sitting on the ground for 40 minutes waiting for the cops that never showed up.

VHF ACARS has no coverage from 100nm off the Aus coast to about 150nm Bali, and JAS Ops in Bali are pretty scratchy beyond 120nm. Without a Satphone, pretty hard to have a conversation with Ops/Security over the HF at the best of times. All the while doing all the other pilot stuff, talking to Ujung on HF, dodging the weather, checking fuel for diversion back to YPDN, YPPD, getting sorted for the arrival, etc

It's a little different to Domestic flying.

Maybe this will spur the companies, VA, JQ and all the others, into being more diligent about screening the pax before they board, rather than throwing them on as quickly as possible to meet OTP:rolleyes:

As far as shutting the airport down, that's obviously the airport operators protocol.

Flight plan fuel, anyone?:D

OBie101
26th Apr 2014, 09:18
... more than likely it'll be his plumbing that gets checked out ... from this (.) to this (0) in no time at all, at all! Just the story to regale his bogan mates with, one day, in the fuuuuuttuuuure ..

p.j.m
26th Apr 2014, 09:24
Can't be much of a plumber, if he doesn't know the difference between a toilet and a cockpit.

regardless, he has no right to be banging on any door! He was obviously a threat to the passengers, they were cheering as he was taken off board by the Balinese police.

Centaurus
26th Apr 2014, 13:29
It's the "Australian way", you need to get drunk to supposedly have a good time and show how macho you are

The photo shows he was wearing flip-flops as per 100% bogan uniform. :eek: Figures...

oicur12.again
26th Apr 2014, 14:44
Flip Flops??????????

What is becoming of the world!!!!!!

Either refer to them as thongs or give up your Melbourne citizenship . . . . . . .

Strewth!

TWT
26th Apr 2014, 14:58
Hijack alert puts scrutiny on airline (http://www.smh.com.au/national/hijack-alert-puts-scrutiny-on-airline-20140426-37ay2.html)

"We are investigating the possibility of negligence on the part of the pilot or even air traffic control," said a senior airport authority source.
"The pilot definitely definitely pushed the distress call, which raises a red alert, and means the incident was referred to the Indonesian airforce. There's another button that can deactivate it and now we're asking why the pilot didn't do that."
The pilot and air traffic control operators were interviewed in Bali late on Saturday after security experts were flown in from Jakarta. If they are found to have been negligent, they could face criminal charges under Indonesian law.

drpixie
26th Apr 2014, 20:58
The pilot definitely definitely pushed the distress call, which raises a red alert, and means the incident was referred to the Indonesian airforce. There's another button that can deactivate it and now we're asking why the pilot didn't do that.

"Pushed the distress call" - sounds like a Farside mug

http://www.defordmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/what-site-changes-do.jpg

neville_nobody
27th Apr 2014, 00:26
"The pilot definitely definitely pushed the distress call, which raises a red alert, and means the incident was referred to the Indonesian airforce. There's another button that can deactivate it and now we're asking why the pilot didn't do that.

Once you activate a hijack response there is no turning back as how do the authorities REALLY know if it is over or not.

You could activate the transponder only to be overpowered and a hijacker deactivate it.

If someone is trying to knock down the door you arrest them and let the police sort it out. If he goes free no charges laid so be it. Just because you get arrested doesn't mean you're guilty.

He's damn lucky there wasn't an Air Marshall onboard.

Centaurus
27th Apr 2014, 03:29

I didn't think they had them anymore on Australian airlines. The only one I know of is in Perth somewhere, coordinating the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777:E

framer
27th Apr 2014, 05:27
A well trained air Marshall would not have intervened. He or she would have observed the cabin crew and pax dealing with it with one eye and kept a keen look out for the real threat with the other eye on the assumption it was a diversionary tactic.

Ngineer
27th Apr 2014, 07:55
The way I have seen some of our fellow Australians behave overseas whilst intoxicated sometimes makes me ashamed to be from the same country. Especially when you can see the "WTF" expressions on the locals faces.

These people are hard enough to tolerate in our own country. Every time I hear the "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie, Oi Oi Oi" chant I cringe inside. These bogans should be drowned at birth.

sms777
27th Apr 2014, 09:01
I would love to be an Air Marshall, the problem is I am too trigger happy sometimes.....
Ngineer....I do agree with you 100%. These wan@ers don't deserve to be Australians.

patagonianworelaud
27th Apr 2014, 09:53
"These wan@ers don't deserve to be Australians. "

I'd rather them than those trying to arrive illegally - and potentially bringing their home grown ideas with them.

Our democracy allows you to get drunk. Not condoning drunkenness, as alleged, but like it or not, that's democracy.

Ngineer
27th Apr 2014, 09:54
Bogan
Bogan (pronounced BOE-gan) is someone who drives an old Commodore (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Commodore), lives in a housing department area, and likes to harrass other citizens.
Bogans are stereotypically considered to be old children (from approximately 15 to 30 years of age). Bogans mature to become yobbos. Low to midrange literacy and intelligence, (80-100 IQ) and above average physical strength are also prominent elements. The Bogan accent is highly distinguishable, being a high-pitched variant of Australian strine similar to "ocker", and the vernacular relies heavily upon truncated words and swearing. Bogans will typically use the phrase "yous" (sometimes spelt "youse") as a plural form of "you", and will modify people's names by adding "azza" (for example Barry = Bazza, Sharon = Shazza).
Bogans are inherently ugly in appearance, some wealthier bogans are actually obsessively vain. Celebrity Bogan men will often appear on hair loss commercials. Many Bogans wear the mullet (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mullet) hairstyle. Some Bogan men wear beanies or caps to hide their receding hairlines or simply shave their heads. Those with full hair will often still wear mullets or use highlights. Many Bogans use fake tan, visit solariums or sunbake for long periods. It is not uncommon for a Bogan to spend hours at the gym building up their biceps, but are proud of their beer bellies (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Beer_belly) and rarely practice sit-ups. Some Bogans will even try to expose themselves publicly to acknowledge their vanity. Bogan men are also obsessive womanisers, and will often two-time or even flirt openly with other women in front of their girlfriends without any sense of guilt.
Bogans can also be identified by their thin weak lips. It is a phenomena sociological scientists have yet to explore however it is probable that it began in early childhood when introduced to the ritual of sucking the filling out of hot meat pies during a AFL game. The intitiation into adolescence is signified by the wearing of wrap around sunglasses. These shades are mostly black but some of the younger Bogans go all out and wear white framed sunglasses, a fashion gay men had 15 years prior. Bogans also age very quickly and by the age of 28, flabby jowels begin to accentuate the characteristic thin lips.
Celebrity Bogans are usually from but not restricted to the Southern State (Victoria) where yobboism rules supreme. These celebrities usually sport bad 1960 American corporate hairstyles and sometimes go abroad to cultured countries to host sports events and consequently cause much embarrassment.Bogans on an international level usually come undone as cultural chants such as Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi or pathological obsession with AFL has no stronghold outside of Australian waters

Quoted from uncyclopedia wikia (also closely related to the Frankstonite and Daptoid).

framer
27th Apr 2014, 10:30
I'd rather them than those trying to arrive illegally
It's not a choice between the two.....you're stuck with the tossers who have grown up thinking it's manly to get smashed and treat others like dirt. The others you mention......you have tiny bit of power there with your vote, but you're still stuck with the tossers.

*Lancer*
27th Apr 2014, 12:22
It's a real place (and not in Victoria): Home | Bogan Shire Council (http://www.bogan.nsw.gov.au/)

It's certainly not the first time someone has acted up on a Bali flight. With no actual major incident though, will any report ever be publicised?

MASTEMA
27th Apr 2014, 12:34
Ngineer

An opus! I do believe Melboganis Australis is also afraid of spiders and pronounces 'girls' as
'Gulls'.

Surely the Captain contacted the cabin crew and found out what was actually happening before elevating to hijack phase? "Has he threatened you and threatened to hijack the aircraft?"

There is a big difference between everyday disruptive fully sick mate wheres the gulls Melbogans crashing around the forward galley and a hijack in progress.

Did this particular bogan threaten anyone or state hijack?

oicur12.again
27th Apr 2014, 15:10
"and potentially bringing their home grown ideas with them"

Yes, we fear ideas from outside the tiny fish bowl. Take your pizza's and your weird taste in fashion and go home I say!!!

Mach E Avelli
28th Apr 2014, 00:05
Sydney Morning Herald headline today says: "Panic attack sparked Virgin incident".
Quite....

The airline defends the pilot's action with: "as per training".

Indonesian authorities are not charging old mate the plumber, instead saying that it is something for the Australians to attend to.

Any bets that the airline will want this to go away now, and that no charges will be laid? And that their training in incident control will be reviewed?

The only people that look good in this are the Indonesians.

MASTEMA
28th Apr 2014, 03:28
All is forgiven, Virgin is flying him home today.

"Kun youse gulls git me a jimmy bean (sic) and crush up a few Stilnox?"

Ummm, what about the missing wife?

PPRuNeUser0198
28th Apr 2014, 04:48
Love it Mastema...

500N
28th Apr 2014, 08:07
He is going to be met by the AFP on arrival for an interview !

Is this going to go the "slap on the wrist, don't do it again" way ?

The Bullwinkle
28th Apr 2014, 09:15
Ummm, what about the missing wife?

With a husband like him, I'm not surprised she went missing!
Was her name Rhonda? :)

MASTEMA
28th Apr 2014, 09:55
Rhonda hahahahaha!

Tracey Grimshaw will give him $200K for his story which will keep his Bintang and Stilnox topped up for a month or two and maybe a new tattoo to celebrate.

Houso's on the ABC have written an episode for him "The Plumbers' cracked" :}

Blueskymine
28th Apr 2014, 12:34
I heard he's going to be on my kitchen rules.

Beer can chicken with codeine baste.

Probably give those bogans from wa a culinary education.

Critical Reynolds No
28th Apr 2014, 21:43
Speaking of Bogans, a Commodore station wagon went past me on the way to Tullamarine with this nice sticker "Lest We Phucket". Bit out of order.

Pinky the pilot
29th Apr 2014, 01:04
Reports on the 'all leather wireless' have said that he was met and taken away by the Federal Police upon arrival and has since been ordered to appear in court in June, when he will be charged with interfering with a crew member.