PDA

View Full Version : Home Rule...for Cornwall !

Krystal n chips
24th Apr 2014, 05:28
I think it's safe to say however, that the UK Border Agency won't be setting up a new post on the Tamar Bridge in the near future...the other side of the bridge may have different ideas however.....:)

It's the beginning of the end of course....only a matter of time before Yorkshire and Geordies start their own campaign for similar status....

However, it's nice to see this development.

BBC News - Cornish people granted minority status within UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035)

On the other hand, only a cynic would ponder if this has anything to do with the County being effectively cut off by rail recently.....and the little matter of votes next year.

TTN, you will, I assume, be applying for nationalisation status in the near future ?.....;)

bosnich71
24th Apr 2014, 05:46
and Warwickshire.

Wingswinger
24th Apr 2014, 07:32
They could join with the Northern and Western Scots, the Irish, the Welsh, the Manx, the Bretons and the Galicians to form the new Atlantic state of Pan Celtica. :}

Haraka
24th Apr 2014, 08:33
Fortunately the design and colour scheme for the Cornish Air Force roundel and fin flash should be easy..
Ah yes, CAF St Mawgan, CNAS Culdrose........:ok:

(Not to mention whacking in for oodles of compensation for all those years of English Colonisation)

tony draper
24th Apr 2014, 09:36
Never been to Cornwall,is it still like it was in Poldark.:rolleyes:

oldpax
24th Apr 2014, 09:38
Never mind,soon the grockle and emmet season!Love to take your money just don't want you there!!Strangely enough you pay leaving cornwall via the tamar bridge but not going into Cornwall,just a trick to make you think they are generous!

tony draper
24th Apr 2014, 09:45
"We are approaching the coast of Cornwall,take her ten miles further out Mr Mate"
:rolleyes:

Lon More
24th Apr 2014, 09:49
Will the Customs Officers be called the Emmet Control?

Porth Emmet

Haraka
24th Apr 2014, 10:03
Never been to Cornwall,is it still like it was in Poldark.

" Poldark":yuk:

Oh yes, Er exactly, just like "Down-turn" Abbey so accurately represented old upper-class England :hmm:

tony draper
24th Apr 2014, 10:18
Poldark was good,they don't make em like that any more and every red blooded male in the land fancied Demelza.:E

Tankertrashnav
24th Apr 2014, 10:23
Ive just posted about this on the St George's Day thread.

So "The Cornish" are an official minority. But who are the Cornish?

I live in Cornwall. On my mother's side my Cornish ancestry can be traced back to the 16th Century. On my father's side, however, it is all Irish. Oh yes, and I was born in Surrey! I'm a mongrel, like the majority of people on these islands, the "Cornish" included.

So do I qualify for this minority status? More importantly - do I care? I rather think that at the bottom of all this is another EU trough, this one with "Cornwall" written on it, and all the usual suspects are lining up to get their snouts in :*

So, K & C - I will most certainly NOT be applying for nationalisation status ;)

Drapes - Yes, the scenery is pretty much the same - about as unspoiled as Northumberland (give or take the odd windfarm!). The road along the North coast from St Ives to St Just would match anywhere in the country for scenic beauty.

Cacophonix
24th Apr 2014, 10:26
Oh yes, Er exactly, just like "Down-turn" Abbey so accurately represented old
upper-class England :hmm:

Talking of TV and Cornwall, I got decided to catch up on BBC's Jamaica Inn last night only to be assailed by strange mumbled Cornish accents, dark gloomy fogs and a dark but not so mysterious leading lady...

Damn it, if those buggers at the Beeb hadn't gone and wrecked (ahem) Ms Du Maurier's fine story...

Twas enough to make Caco utter the name Pengelly thrice in despair... ;)

I suppose if Cornwall secedes then Devon will be next and where shall we go for our cream teas then?

Caco

Haraka
24th Apr 2014, 10:39
The road along the North coast from St Ives to St Just

TTN. Indeed it is and when you pass by Zennor, do drop in and see my old family church. One ancestor (Paul 1737) is commemorated on the tower and the parish records of the family (now mouldering away) traced us back to c.1470. when we allegedly arrived from Ireland.
Mongrel?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Apr 2014, 10:44
Another part of the Cornish diaspora here. Mawnan Smith being my grandfather's home, and a family history that dates to the 10th Century.
Likewise though, I do not feel the need to be an officially recognised minority. I am content to recognise the English as a culturally and morally impoverished majority.

MOSTAFA
24th Apr 2014, 10:50
Caco - some of us Cornish Pengelly's just might take umbridge to our name being taken in vain.

Har - every generation from 970 in and around St Day, Carharrack, Scorrier, Gwennap, about a 3 mile radius, does that qualify a pedigree?

Yamagata ken
24th Apr 2014, 11:02
One grandmother Cornish. One grandmother Irish. One grandfather Danish. That makes me English. :)

Curious Pax
24th Apr 2014, 11:04
A cynic might wonder if doing this now is a mechanism to try and shore up the Lib Dem vote in the hope that they don't lose all 3 of their seats next year!

Haraka
24th Apr 2014, 11:09
All good fun.
Years ago I was in the "Ship" in Portloe with my second cousin. His Cornish family ancestry only went back to the Armada, when a Spanish sailor was washed up and taken in by the local community.
There was much muttering in the corner from two old boys, complaining about the smell of garlic.

Cacophonix
24th Apr 2014, 11:23
Caco - some of us Cornish Pengelly's just might take umbridge to our name being taken in vain.

The wizened old man who told me that if I uttered the name Pengelly thrice said by doing so I would summon up a Pengelly (as has happened) but that she would be young, nubile and very voluptuous... ;)

Caco

Ancient Observer
24th Apr 2014, 11:36
One part of my family come from Devon. Beer, to be precise.

Everyone in Devon knows that everyone in Cornwall is a *****-******** and most of them are children of their elder sisters as a result of that.

If anywhere deserves full Independance from Cornwall, it is the rest of the UK.

Cacophonix
24th Apr 2014, 11:44
and most of them are children of their elder sisters as a result of that.

That's more Norfolk surely... ;)

(There's another county where Caco will be persona non grata)...

Caco

Curious Pax
24th Apr 2014, 13:24
It was only when I began dating (subsequently married) a Cornish lass that I discovered that the Cornwall v Devon thing makes Lancashire v Yorkshire seem very mild! And don't get me started on Camborne v Redruth!!!

Rossian
24th Apr 2014, 13:56
....they will now be FULLY AUTHORISED and ENTITLED to feel a strong sense of greivance which they will subject the rest of us to.

The Ancient Mariner

MOSTAFA
24th Apr 2014, 13:59
Ancient O are you out on license? It takes quite a lot of practice to be such a rude ****wit.

Banter is fine, bile isn't.

jolihokistix
24th Apr 2014, 14:30
Another closet Cornish gene here. One large branch of the family on my father's side goes back to the standing stones. Do I get a passport?

Cacophonix
24th Apr 2014, 14:52
The amusing thing about Britain (and humans generally I guess) is that it takes but a few miles and the slightest change in accent to engender blood feuds, warlike and inimical feelings and the rest.

When I first moved to England I lived in Leicestershire and was amazed at the studied ferocity with which the lads from nearby villages would fight each other after a couple of pints on a Friday night (and they came from the same county for goodness sake)...

Then when I moved to Wales I was shunned in West Wales because I spoke English (as did all the locals by the way) and was presumed to be English and so I was to be hated but was immediately and ludicrously forgiven when it became clear that I wasn't English after all...

As some chap from the north of this fair isle (now was he from Lancashire or from Yorkshire?) opined "there's nowt so queer as folk"!

The grockle thing has its analogue in Cape Town South Africa where thousands of people from the hinterland flock to the coast at Christmas time. As one curmudgeonly local Cape Town B&B owner once said to me (presuming me to be an English tourist and therefore a foreigner), "the Transvaalers all come here on holiday and we do need their money but we wish they would send the money by post and stay at home"...

So it goes... ;)

Caco

ex_matelot
24th Apr 2014, 15:09
The Cornish are fond of displaying the "Kernow" flag sticker on the back of their cars. I would go one further and have it legally enshrined in law that they ALL display said sticker - as a warning to other road users.

I honestly can't remember ever being stuck behind a car displaying said sticker and not been frustrated with the differing and dawdling by them.
Take note next time you see one. You will see I'm right.

Cacophonix
24th Apr 2014, 15:16
Take note next time you see one. You will see I'm right.

Same can be said of grey haired elderly gentlemen driving large staid cars while wearing flat caps...

Caco

ex_matelot
24th Apr 2014, 16:02
Seriously - pick 5 people you know who are Cornish through and through and who hold the attitude that Cornwall should be independent.

Would you trust them to run a business or local economy? Would you trust them to look after your house whilst you were away?

ex_matelot
24th Apr 2014, 16:13
More to the point - how come these people demanding independence have not been deemed "racist"? Ironic really as the Govt are trying to appease this minority in order to get votes whilst labelling another growing majority as racist for wanting basically the same thing.

I wonder if there are any plans for "Cornish jobs for Cornish people" and how that would pan out with Ginsters and its 80% Eastern European workforce?
This is just superficial piss and bluster and has not been analysed at all. The scary thing is though - many will fall for it and vote accordingly as far as British national elections are concerned.

Curious Pax
24th Apr 2014, 16:59
I wonder if there are any plans for "Cornish jobs for Cornish people" and how that would pan out with Ginsters and its 80% Eastern European workforce?

Not in that particular case I suspect - never met a Cornishman who would even give the time of day to a Ginster's pasty!

Rossian
24th Apr 2014, 18:36
.........or you'll have mostafa on your case for being another ".....rude **** wit" like wot I am.

However I think he got me confused with Ancient Observer who is a totally innocent party in this, and therefore deserves an apology.

The Ancient Mariner

GROUNDHOG
24th Apr 2014, 19:04
ex matelot - I have a Cornish sticker on the back of my cars and one on the back of my motorhome which must be even worse for you..... delighted to hold you up any time!

Ginster's are for tourists and export only by the way.

MOSTAFA
24th Apr 2014, 19:14
Rossian or Ancient A or whatever you are calling yourself try reading.

Ancient O said

One part of my family come from Devon. Beer, to be precise.

Everyone in Devon knows that everyone in Cornwall is a *****-******** and most of them are children of their elder sisters as a result of that.

If anywhere deserves full Independance from Cornwall, it is the rest of the UK.

I said

Ancient O are you out on license? It takes quite a lot of practice to be such a rude ****wit.

Banter is fine, bile isn't.

Apologise my arse

Rosevidney1
24th Apr 2014, 19:26
Come on, stick together girls and we might begin to start behaving properly! No need for name calling or rudeness.
Point to note: Cornwall has never been English. British, certainly. The Celtic peoples lived here for thousands of years before the Angles and Saxons colonised what is today called England.
I am Cornish born and bred but have to admit that technically I am 50% Cornish, 25% Welsh and 25% Danish.

MOSTAFA
24th Apr 2014, 19:45
Rose

If you read my posts you'll see - I didn't start it. I have a direct line of descendants that haven't moved more than 3 miles since the 11th century so I count myself to have a damn good Cornish pedigree with the name to boot!

I'm actually delighted at today's news and would like nothing more than to see 'Cornish' one day included on my passport application. I also agree 100% Cornwall has never been in England.

I certainly don't mind banter I was a British military pilot for 30 years and now fly on the North Sea but being bloody rude deserves my comments.

Pom Pax
24th Apr 2014, 20:00
Trelawny

Having lived in and worked underground in the Duchy I understand I can consider myself naturalised.

Tankertrashnav
24th Apr 2014, 22:14
Never been that struck on Trelawney.

A good sword and a trusty hand! A merry heart and true!
King James's men shall understand What Cornish lads can do!
And have they fixed the where and when? And shall Trelawny die?
Here's twenty thousand Cornish men Will know the reason why!
Chorus

And shall Trelawny live? And shall Trelawny die?
Here's twenty thousand Cornish men Will know the reason why!

Out spake their Captain brave and bold: A merry wight was he:
Though London Tower were Michael's hold, We'll set Trelawny free!
'We'll cross the Tamar, land to land: The Severn is no stay:
With "one and all," and hand in hand; And who shall bid us nay?

Chorus

And when we come to London Wall, A pleasant sight to view,
Come forth! come forth! ye cowards all: Here's men as good as you.
'Trelawny he's in keep and hold; Trelawny he may die:
Here's twenty thousand Cornish bold Will know the reason why

Chorus

Bishop Trelawney was opposed to King James who had given Catholics freedom of worship - Trelawney was rigorously opposed to any Catholic emancipation and was arrested in imprisoned in the tower.

Trelawney's "army" of 20,000 never got anywhere near London before Trelawney was tried and acquitted, so there wasn't any calling out for his release but dont let that spoil a good song. Basically the Cornish "national anthem" is in the category of Flower of Scotland - mythologising a non-event and making a hero of a religious bigot! But then I don't suppose many Cornish rugby supporters have ever given it much thought!

Tankertrashnav
24th Apr 2014, 22:37
If you read my posts you'll see - I didn't start it. I have a direct line of descendants that haven't moved more than 3 miles since the 11th century so I count myself to have a damn good Cornish pedigree with the name to boot!

I'm actually delighted at today's news and would like nothing more than to see 'Cornish' one day included on my passport application. I also agree 100% Cornwall has never been in England.

Hmm, well as you've seen earlier, I can only manage about 50% Cornwall bloodline - so will my Cornish passport be stamped "one half Cornish"? Maybe my kids will manage three quarters. Now what does that remind me of?

(All just banter, you understand! ;))

GROUNDHOG
25th Apr 2014, 08:33
I am not Cornish either although have lived here for many years now, I was born in England but my family line is Welsh so no Cornish passport for me either. On the other hand I now also have Canadian residency so perhaps that is what I should do here as well!

tony draper
25th Apr 2014, 09:01
The only problem I see with areas of a single land mass fighting for freedom from the whole actually becoming independent, is once the separatists have establish their foot on the necks of their own population they are generally overcome with the urge to liberate their neighbors,after all you can never have enough necks to put your foot on.

Cacophonix
25th Apr 2014, 09:15
I do wonder how many Cornish, if they do so think of themselves as such, really care one jot about a separate Cornwall? I doubt that 'separation' would be a sentiment that galvanises public support in the tea shops and pubs of the Duchy of Cornwall despite the consciousness that "yes, we are Cornish and proud of that".

Viva la difference and emboldened by this trend to recognise minorities I am looking for recognition of my own minority, namely that of a Russian, Irish, German, Norwegian, South African expatriate with a tendency towards Wales but domiciled in England kind of minority. I will let you know how that pans out.. ;)

Caco

black_shuck
25th Apr 2014, 09:25
We have our own county flag as well can I be a minority?

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608010426839335896&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Cacophonix
25th Apr 2014, 09:48
It funny how when you have one Cornish pasty another Cornish patsy comes along...

As a Member of the British Empire, Terry Wilkins was proud to display his title on his emails, web page and even office stationery.

That was until his claim to the honour was exposed as false, and he immediately faced calls to resign. However, the Tory councillor from Cornwall claims he is the victim of a hoax — having taken his title to be real ever since he received an official-looking letter and a medal in the post 19 years ago.

My honour is a fake? It must be an error, says councillor Terry Wilkins - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10786675/My-honour-is-a-fake-It-must-be-an-error-says-councillor-Terry-Wilkins.html)

It funny that... I received a letter from Readers Digest a couple of years back telling me that I had won $1000000 and yet my bank refuses to accept my wealth as collateral for my new Citation Biz jet...

Shome mishtake shurely...!

Caco

Krystal n chips
25th Apr 2014, 11:01
" once the separatists have establish their foot on the necks of their own population they are generally overcome with the urge to liberate their neighbors,after all you can never have enough necks to put your foot on"

Ah, umm?.....one might think your thoughts are turning to the resurrection of those charming chaps known as the Border Reivers Mr D...under your astute guidance that is.

tony draper
25th Apr 2014, 11:42
The Border Reivers were in it for loot moo cows and plunder,the buggas of which I speak would be in it for the power.
Stealing is a far more honest pastime than politics.

Rossian
25th Apr 2014, 11:53
....but the reality is often it turns to "anti-the-other". We are seeing that big time up here right now.

My wife was turned down for a teaching job in Cornwall because "Well, you know, service wives, " 'ere one minute gone the next. Can't rely on 'em"
Oh well ho hum. Gets a letter saying thanks for your application but the job went to a better qualified candidate. OK ho hum.

From a friend in the school found out it was a chap who had graduated the same day as her with poorer marks. But he was a Good Local Cornish Lad who had come from that school.

GLCL tells his fiancee "got the job now we can get wed"
"Where" she asks?
"Newquay" is the reply.
"Over my dead body" was her response so he pulls his acceptance of the job just before the summer hols start.
Was my wife invited to apply again??

The Ancient Mariner

er340790
25th Apr 2014, 12:01
So, presumably, if I were to retire to Cornwall, I would become a member of a "minority"... :} BUT someone whose lineage has been there for centuries moving to Devon would no longer be a member of that minority... Correct?

Well, the surfing is OK and the clotted cream teas nice....... but let's face it THAT'S IT!

"WILL THERE BE PICKIN'S FOR ALL??????????" :} :E ;)[/B]

603DX
25th Apr 2014, 12:36
I shared digs with a lad from Redruth, back in my uni days. Coming as we did from two well-spaced counties, both of them peninsulas with their own distinct regional attitudes and accents, we were mutually polite but aware of certain differences between us. He had a strong Cornish accent, which to my ignorant ears sounded as if he was a bit "slow". So his stout support for "Home Rule for Cornwall" amused me, and I said that the last stroppy rebel from Kent, Wat Tyler, had ended up with his head on a pike mounted on London Bridge, during the Peasant's Revolt.

I soon found that he was anything but slow-witted, and was on a course specialising in nuclear physics. When we both voluntarily took a Stanford-Binet IQ test under controlled conditions, administered by an educational psychologist, he scored three points ahead of me. That totally demolished my stupid assumption that folk with strong "ooh-aah" accents were a bit thick, for evermore! It was one of the many useful things that I learnt at that time in my life, over and above the facts and figures of my own uni coursework. ;)

Cacophonix
25th Apr 2014, 12:52
I soon found that he was anything but slow-witted, and was on a course specialising in nuclear physics. When we both voluntarily took a Stanford-Binet IQ test under controlled conditions, administered by an educational psychologist, he scored three points ahead of me.

This seems to take academic or intellectual rivalry to levels that seem a little OTT ... ;)

Wouldn't an arm wrestle followed by a game of chess or poker plus a drinking competition have sufficed....:ok:

I may be slower but my girlfriend is better looking worked for me for a while...

Caco

603DX
25th Apr 2014, 13:20
This seems to take academic or intellectual rivalry to levels that seem a little OTT

Yes, I agree that it might seem that way, but one of the others sharing our digs was a postgraduate educational psychologist, eager to practice on us, so we indulged him. Let's face it, many of us have a certain curiosity about how we stand in the IQ rat-race, particularly when we have found it a shock to be amongst so many very clever people in the large university lake, after having been a relatively bright tiddler in the very small pond at school. ;)