View Full Version : Local direct entry officers

Chunks
20th May 2002, 09:29
Are their any local HK pilots who are curently working for CX who have made it in though direct entry? If so, would a local pilot get expat benefits by making it into CX though direct entry?

CCA
21st May 2002, 04:38
A lot will depend on your flying experience, a few hundred hours = LOCAL COS. Thousands of hours may equal EXPAT COS. If you apply from Hong Kong they will probably offer you LOCAL conditions and see if you take it, which has been done before, but the guy said get stuffed. If you can manage to apply from overseas they will probably offer you EXPAT conditions. They are a sneaky lot and if they can save a buck they will. LOCAL conditions are not worth it.

Chunks
21st May 2002, 20:00
So are their any local HK pilots who have got in CX through direct entry?

CCA
22nd May 2002, 16:25
Well NO as no one can get the required flying experience in Hong Kong, so anyone from HK who has learned to fly obviously went abroad and therefore became an expat as he applied from overseas, as I said if this same person applied from HK CX would probably offer him local conditions. There are a few guys who lived in HK as kids but left and came back as expats (non Chinese) and there are some who left and then came back to join the cadet programme as Locals.(Chinese and round eyes) There is a Malaysian guy who was hired as an expat but he had been flying 737s with Malaysian.

tcyr19
22nd May 2002, 19:41
I heard from some local pilot in CX that he got hired as direct entry, but with local conditions. He only had a CPL multi engine IFR from the U.S. with only 250 hours and an engineering degree when he applied. Is this true?

Cpt. Underpants
23rd May 2002, 02:47
no D-E locals as F/O's. Your friend is telling porky-pies. Captain Underpants (http://www.scholastic.com/captainunderpants/home.htm) to the rescue!!

tcyr19
23rd May 2002, 04:48
I meant direct entry Second officers, not First Officers. Doesn't he have the same qualifications as those ex-cadets at CX when entering as a S/O? Cadets also get their CPL Multi IFR that is around 250 hours total flight time like him, right?