PDA

View Full Version : Support for Windows 8.1

FullOppositeRudder
23rd Apr 2014, 02:34
Something very strange here - can this be for real? :confused:

Why is Microsoft dropping support for Windows 8.1? (http://theconversation.com/why-is-microsoft-dropping-support-for-windows-8-1-25712)

Bushfiva
23rd Apr 2014, 05:02
Because it's been superceded by Windows 8.1 Update, as stated in the very article you refer to.

PleasureFlyer
23rd Apr 2014, 09:35
The installed user base for XP was, and still is, extremely large - therefore MSoft kept support up for it.

As WIN8 is still relatively small, especially in the Corporate world, it is easier to drop support for the older versions without impacting many people.

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2014, 09:43
What a stupid name to call it, unless you want to confuse the majority of users.

They should have just called it win8.2 and be done with it.

Andy_P
23rd Apr 2014, 10:20
I got the warning today on my win 8 notebook. I have been too lazy to do the upgrade, even though I want Win 8.1 to get away from metro!

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2014, 11:01
its worth it!!!

Guest 112233
23rd Apr 2014, 11:54
I have never used 8 - 8.1 Update seems to allow users to go to the application screens with one touch i.e. the down arrow on the metro start screen.

There may be changes under the hood though - I need one of the technical experts to give us a clue.

CAT III

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2014, 13:04
the 8.1 allowed you to basically ignore the metro thing and go straight to desktop and never see metro unless you wanted to.

this update seems to give you the ability to shut the thing down properly without logging out to find the shutdown button.

As a everyday user that's the sum total of the things that I see.

Just have to give us back a start button aka XP and it might be worth thinking about moving away from win7

Mechta
23rd Apr 2014, 13:27
Mad Jock, I downloaded a free patch* from 'Classicshell.net' which gives a Start button and XP style menus on Windows 8. I can finally use the stupid thing now without becoming homicidal.

I'm very un-techy but managed to install it after a fashion. Be aware that it tries to add some software which sends daily adverts. This can be blocked or prevented though.

* Classic Start Menu 4.0.2

Guest 112233
23rd Apr 2014, 13:45
And therein lies the problem: Addon's often carry with them addon's of their own, that may or not be useful/malicious/just plain intrusive - Its part of the Monetisation of the software developers.

I've used XYX addin for Windows Blah,Bhah since 2002 and now that I've upgraded, I'm totally lost with the new interface, etc etc......

An Addin is a potential vector for Malware, sadly. If you do not like the interface and some systems provide for a multiplicity of interfaces; then it might be better to change the operating system if possible.

Metro on Windows and "Unity" on Ubuntu 13.xx and greater will be, IMHO; consigned to the dustbin of history of computer interfaces.

Functionality of purpose, must be the prime driver in the development of a user interface. Metro and to an extent Unity, were were regressive steps. Anyone remember "Clippy" or that Brown Dog in Windows search.

CAT III

Capn Bloggs
23rd Apr 2014, 14:06
I highly recommend Classicshell for 8.1 (and, for that matter, 7). Multi-column Program lists: way to go! :ok:

le Pingouin
23rd Apr 2014, 15:36
CATIII, while I agree with the sentiment that add-ons are a potential hazard I think you're taking that concern too far. Windows lacks a whole lot of functionality out of the box that you need to install extra software to achieve and is fairly useless until you do.

One little carefully chosen utility to significantly enhance the usability of the GUI isn't adding much to the threat level. We're not talking multiple browser toolbars here.

If Clippy were an animal I'd have been done by the animal welfare people for extreme cruelty. Clippy needed to be punched in the face, smashed against the wall, set on fire and bent into weird shapes.

Guest 112233
23rd Apr 2014, 19:37
Fair enough - I accept that I'm being a bit over cautious. Clippy yep it was the tapping of the Screen from the other side that spooked me.

CAT III

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2014, 21:08
CATIII I am the same with these add on's so your not the only one.

Mind you I have never had a virus or malware in 10 plus year's, so we might be over cautious be we are "disease" free.

llondel
24th Apr 2014, 02:12
I highly recommend Classicshell for 8.1 (and, for that matter, 7).

I'll second this. It made Win8.1 at least vaguely usable while I was stuck with it, and it puts stuff back into 7 that I like.

Even on KDE/Linux I set things up with the classic launcher despite their modern alternatives.

Tarq57
24th Apr 2014, 04:17
What a stupid name to call it, unless you want to confuse the majority of users.

They should have just called it win8.2 and be done with it.
I agree.
Having installed the update, since it appears to be an important one - modifies the entire OS more along the lines of a service pack - I am somewhat dismayed to find that on the system info (via control panel) it merely reports that my system is Windows 8.1. Not 8.1 update.

To find the actual version, you have to swipe the start button and examine the log on screen, or go to add/remove programs, forearmed with the KB number concerned.

Those KB numbers mount up after a while.

Not good management, IMO.

mad_jock
24th Apr 2014, 11:33
lord only knows what people are doing who have a limited internet either by bandwidth or consumption ie a low usage limited plan.

Since Win 8.0 I have had to leave the laptop 5 times over night plugged in by Ethernet cable to the router downloading updates. It must be over 3 G's of download. If you get a new Win8 out the box your a week and 5-6 reboots to get the unpdates required to go for win 8.1. They seem to stagger them, then when you eventually get the last one the free update will appear in the shop. You download that and then another 4-5 reboots worth of updates before you get up to this Win8.1 update.

Apparently you meant to check that the update has gone through by looking at the metro screen and if it has a power symbol and a search icon in the top right corner you have it.

Andy_P
25th Apr 2014, 00:44
Just updated my laptop to win 8.1. During the update process, it looked like it was going to force me to use a windows live account to log in (as per an other thread). Trick is to just enter a fake email address and let it try to validate it. Then it comes up with an option to use the built in account instead.

GIGFY
25th Apr 2014, 04:04
I've read a few threads having trouble with shuting down WIN8. Sorry to tell you but since XP, all you need to do is press your power button and the system will shut dow normally. If there is a current program stopping it, it will advise just in case you hit the shut down in the middle of a MS Word or such program where you could loose your data.
After serving 27 years as an engineer in the RAF, I had a seachange to IT which I carried on for a further 15 years as a senior IT consultant for a finacial institute here in Oz. I agree with the comments on XP being supported as many companies still you the retail versions which bring in the big bickies. The naming of the versions do not change unless there is a completely new version, ie, WIN7 to WIN8 or a modification to the existing version, ie, WIN8 to WIN8.1 Microsoft do not advertise the subsequent updates such as WIN8.1 to WIN8.1.1
Criminal and confusing but there it is. As a Microsoft Beta Tester I can tell you it does get worse before the productive verse comes out.
Beware of add-ons as some can carry nasty widgets and cookies which send back your personal information.

Chin chin.

"The ox is slow but the Earth is patient."

mad_jock
25th Apr 2014, 07:46
Andy if you had gone into customised installation there was a hard to see local account option or if you just don't attach the thing to the internet until after you have all the account stuff setup that also works.

Booglebox
25th Apr 2014, 12:03
I hear that MS has relented and is going to do security updates for Win 8.1 RTM (without Update 1) for 3 months. :ok: