PDA

View Full Version : CNN: "How to hide in wheel well" (with video)

spongenotbob
23rd Apr 2014, 02:56
See how stowaway could have hid in plane's wheel well - CNN.com Video (http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/04/21/ac-tuchman-how-to-get-in-wheel-well-on-plane.cnn.html?hpt=hp_t1)

CNN has jumped the shark.

Goat Whisperer
23rd Apr 2014, 03:08
You idiots, CNN.

and how many tyres...?

lomapaseo
23rd Apr 2014, 03:31
CNN

Nothing like a how-to stow away on an airplane :=

vinayak
23rd Apr 2014, 03:31
Very helpful for my next travel plans :}

llondel
23rd Apr 2014, 06:09
It appears they're not going to pursue criminal charges against the teenager. Nice to see a bit of common sense, it sounds more like he needs help than punishment. That should be reserved for the airport who let him get access to the aircraft.

Wannabe Flyer
23rd Apr 2014, 06:24
Will LOCO charge you for this space and sell you blankets, O2 and a hot meal?

Earl
23rd Apr 2014, 06:32
there is more to this story.
CNN reporting the boy was wanting to get to Somalia to see his mother.
Now all forgiven,
Stowaway teen says he was trying to see mom in Somalia, official says - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/22/us/plane-stowaway/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)
You think if any one of our kids did this would be forgiven and turned over to child protective services?

enginesuck
23rd Apr 2014, 07:17
If thats the case he needs some geography lessons, Hawaii is hardly the most direct route

mixture
23rd Apr 2014, 07:29
(a) The onus heavily on the side of airports to provide a significant contribution to airside security.

(b) A link was published on this very website to a publicly available document published by the FAA that described in detail the locations and issues.

(c) Its not exactly rocket science... find a wheel well (not difficult .... quite obvious where they are to anyone standing next to an aircraft) ... hide in it (not particularly difficult if you spend two minutes thinking or do some foreward planning).... I don't see what you guys are trying to keep hush-hush secret in the name of "secewwwity".

WASALOADIE
23rd Apr 2014, 07:31
Don't let Michael O'Leary see this, he will be selling the space!

tonytales
23rd Apr 2014, 08:07
Is it really possible that anyone could live through a flight that reportedly went up to 390? Considering the frozen corpsicles that have fallen out of wheel wells on gear extension, how could this kid have survived hypoxia and freezing?
Most probably, he actually rode in a baggage hold which are pressurized and at least minimally heated.
I do not believe he could have survived a flight in a wheel well at the altitudes reported.

kaikohe76
23rd Apr 2014, 09:50
I suppose after this latest USA Airport Security fiasco, the next time we as pax travel through a US Airport, there will be more snarling, unpleasant & unhelpful Security staff just waiting to give us a bigger & better going over.
The security chain is only as strong as the weakest link, so San Jose Airport, you get this weeks prize for screwing up!!

lomapaseo
23rd Apr 2014, 15:33
Mixture

(c) Its not exactly rocket science... find a wheel well (not difficult .... quite obvious where they are to anyone standing next to an aircraft) ... hide in it (not particularly difficult if you spend two minutes thinking or do some foreward planning).

You better be very good at scaling factors and linkage kinematics for all the devices visible in a wheel well. Once they start moving is not the time to realize you may have chosen a pinch point.

I'd much prefer a Ryan Air cheap seat

Caboclo
23rd Apr 2014, 20:23
According to the article, the survival rate is around 25%. Like Tony, I find this hard to believe.

angels
23rd Apr 2014, 20:33
What I don't understand is the fact that hypoxia killed everyone on the Helios flight over Greece and yet this kid survives not only the lack of oxygen, but the cold. :confused:

I would go with the theory that he found somewhere pressurised, although I have no idea at all of the configuration of the plane to know if this is possible.

I, too, cannot believe the 25 percent survival figure.

Capetonian
23rd Apr 2014, 20:38
I did wonder if the commentator should have added 'don't try this at home' but as most people don't have an aircraft in their back garden, it would have been superfluous.

Caboclo
23rd Apr 2014, 21:25
I don't think we can say that hypoxia killed everyone on the Helios flight. Hypoxia made the pilots pass out, and probably all the pax. But some may have still been alive at impact. The human body is capable of amazing things. Wasn't there an FA who got sucked out at cruise altitude, and survived both the fall and the impact? But I still don't believe the 25%.

Caboclo
23rd Apr 2014, 21:27
And, back to the OP, CNN certainly did give themselves a black eye. Isn't there supposed to be a chief editor or some such to prevent this sort of thing? Guess he was too busy writing his editorial.

500N
23rd Apr 2014, 21:28
I thought one of the crew got into the cockpit of the Helios aircraft
and tried to fly it but didn't have the skill even though they had a
pilots license.

Either way, if the body gets cold enough and shuts down some can survive but I agree, I reckon he found somewhere pressurised.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Apr 2014, 23:59
Yes, surprised he got on board, after all, he didn't have to remove his shoes and belt first.

Guess it was a Domestic flight, so he didn't have to show his passport, but what about photo ID ? Did he carry drinking water ?

World's Gone Mad.

11Fan
24th Apr 2014, 00:25
CNN has jumped the shark.

Could be a blessing in disguise. Help thin the herd a little.

bugg smasher
24th Apr 2014, 00:25
Elementary. He kept warm by hugging the brake unit, and alive by breathing out of the tire. Easy.

fitliker
24th Apr 2014, 00:35
I wonder if he knows any of the other young Somali's in the dining club at the village Al Shabab dining emporium ?

Tankertrashnav
24th Apr 2014, 00:50
I was also very puzzled about how anyone could survive the lack of oxygen at cruising altitudes of FL350+ for several hours. Thinking back to my own avmed training we did a progressive depressurisation to c 35,000', then had our oxygen cut off. I think consciousness was lost in around a minute or two on average(IIRC), at which point oxygen was restored, leading to very rapid recovery (none of that gasping and choking that you see on films!)

I have heard about people who have fallen into freezing water (through ice, for example) going into a form of suspended animation and being successfully revived after long submersion, say around twenty minutes, but 4 or 5 hours seems impossible. Any avmed experts on here care to comment?

lomapaseo
24th Apr 2014, 03:02
Elementary. He kept warm by hugging the brake unit, and alive by breathing out of the tire. Easy.

what's the oxygen content in a plane tire?

pigboat
24th Apr 2014, 03:11
He's obviously weaned himself from oxygen and is now able to survive on nitrogen. :p

llondel
24th Apr 2014, 03:16
I thought one of the crew got into the cockpit of the Helios aircraft and tried to fly it but didn't have the skill even though they had a pilots license.It took him so long to gain access that he arrived in the cockpit just as the engines flamed out due to empty fuel tanks. The story I heard is that he's the one who made sure it crashed away from built-up areas. Supposedly he was working as cabin crew while studying for his pilot's licence.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Apr 2014, 07:35
Trying to get BACK to Somalia? Did I miss something?

bugg smasher
24th Apr 2014, 13:25

It would likely have looked like this;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPHVo3KfaI0

sasquash
25th Apr 2014, 16:07
Maybe we should get Richard Quest at CNN to do a re-enactment from beginning to finish.

Just to keep the viewers well informed of course.

All in favour say yeah....?

bugg smasher
25th Apr 2014, 17:06
Wouldn't want to risk hypoxia or hypothermia. I say, put the airplane up on jacks, and keep cycling the gear until he finds the most comfortable place.

That'd make some very entertaining TV.