PDA

View Full Version : What Does This Do?

FJJP
20th May 2002, 08:33
I usually have Task Manager running, which shows me CPU usage as a small square in the systray. When I'm on the net, it invariably shows 95-99%, running a programme called 'SymProxySvc.exe'. This has a PID(?) of 776 and 8,088K memory usage.

Anybody know what this programme is or does, and what will happen if I 'end process'?

Evo7
20th May 2002, 08:36
You must be running Norton Internet Security - this issue is covered on Symantec's website.

FJJP
21st May 2002, 06:50
Evo7 - correct. thanks for tip. I went to their site and the symptoms are described exactly, together with the 'fix'. However, it is still happening, so I have e-mailed their technical bods. I'll let you know the outcome.

Evo7
21st May 2002, 07:43
I'd appreciate that, FJJP, because I seem to have this problem back too - and it seems to be PPRuNe related! :eek:

I've seen it in the past, but a live-update fixed it at some point. However, I was online last night and I noticed that something was eating all the available CPU - sure enough, it was the SymProxySvc process. I quit IE6 and killed the process, which instantly respawned but with the expected minimal CPU usage. All looked OK, so I started up IE6 and visited a couple of other sites. Still OK, but then I visited PPRuNe and - straight away - SymProxySvc CPU usage went up to 98% again. Quit/Kill - back to 1%. Go to The Register - 1%. Go to BBC News - 1%. Go to PPRuNe - 98%. Strange. :confused:

I didn't have time to look into things, so I'm not sure what was happening. I don't think that this has been happening ever since the great PPRuNe upgrade, so I suspect it happened when Norton live-updated a couple of days ago. However, I'm not sure why PPRuNe should trigger it.

I'm running XP/Pro, recent IE6 and a fully-updated Norton IS 2002. Ho hum... :)