PDA

View Full Version : This confirms something!

Pastor of Muppets
22nd Apr 2014, 23:33
viral (http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2513628634001?bckey=AQ%7E%7E%2cAAACKW9LH8k%7E%2cA7HfECo 5t7DrAeaToOVr5sEdpPjJEcCi&bclid=0&bctid=3401163961001)

Awesome work GT. Great work in Australia's only 777 simulator. You've confirmed something and it has nothing to do with MH370.

framer
23rd Apr 2014, 00:25
Heh heh....Pastor of muppets....heh heh heh good work.

Blueskymine
23rd Apr 2014, 00:52
I love it how he tried to launch with the park brake on and the sim instructor quickly released it.

Credibility = zero.

aussie1234
23rd Apr 2014, 01:31
So what goes on behind the closed doors of the sim in Silverwater if the only B777 sim is in Jandakot?

RENURPP
23rd Apr 2014, 01:35
Flat spin???
Dive???
Idiot :)

spelling_nazi
23rd Apr 2014, 02:02
The sign of a true idiot.
"It's 1:27 am in the morning"

grrowler
23rd Apr 2014, 02:06
"Gyrating through the sky" with GT - sounds like fun :eek:

Just love people who's confidence is completely out of touch with their knowledge and ability.

Wally Mk2
23rd Apr 2014, 02:38
Will be interesting to see how long this thread lasts for but I have mentioned it before GT is directing his expertise (or lack there of & used loosely) at Mr & Mrs Joe Public, they know only what the likes of GT says & if it's on TV then it must be true, those in aviation know better.

I see the 'authorities' (also used loosely) are now revisiting the notion that the MA plane may have actually landed somewhere, I mean really these clueless 'authorities' are as lost as the plane itself!:ugh:

Wmk2

aroa
23rd Apr 2014, 05:22
quote..." its terrible to contemplate what must have been going through the minds of the passengers...mercifully they would have known nothing."

QUE ???

If its in the water, it was landed on the water and sank, intact? ...NO wreckage.
Nothing attributed to, found at all.

Move over Amelia E...this is THE big one. Sadly.

Lets hope the deep sea robot comes up trumps

1a sound asleep
23rd Apr 2014, 05:53
How pathetic

Break Right
23rd Apr 2014, 06:15
Weak as piss and absolutely no idea. :mad:

yadot
23rd Apr 2014, 06:25
The language used illustrates that he has very basic aerodynamic knowledge. Perhaps it is a method of language used to communicate to Joe blog, but the act of putting this piece together is the act of a pathetic bottom dweller! What a low act and really poor excuse of a human! Insensitive and insulting!

Chocks Away
23rd Apr 2014, 07:13
My my my, what fools :ugh:
Number one rule is Research and if you have questions, ask someone that knows and research more!

I can tell you, straight from the B777 FCOM, the Tripla has stall protections at altitude (amoungst other times), especially with Autopilot engaged. To get into that situation on the film would require a crew to purposely heave back on the column.

An AUTOPILOT caution message and roll or pitch mode failures alert the pilot if the envelope is exceeded, and the autopilot prevents further envelope violations.

Stall protection limits the speed to which the airplane can be trimmed. At approximately the minimum maneuvering speed, stall protection limits the trim reference speed so that trim is inhibited in the nose up direction. The pilot must apply continuous aft column force to maintain airspeed below the minimum maneuvering speed.

I won't go on further regarding auto throttle behavior and the like.
It just shows that the software of this fixed base sim in Perth is not the same as the real full flight sim in Silverwater, NOR the real B777 with the Honeywell Fly-by-wire and AIMS.
(That demonstrated stall would happen in a 737 so maybe a good idea to upgrade your software fellas?)

500N
23rd Apr 2014, 07:17
Not that I could do any better but

"Perhaps it is a method of language used to communicate to Joe blog,"

is called "Sunrise speak" ! :O

rodchucker
23rd Apr 2014, 07:23
Music to the ears of AJ who will now claim credit for telling the world anyone can do this and we don't need all these unnecessary and well thought out overheads to get the metal into the air and back. If GT can do it on his own (almost), then anyone can do it.

Bet the spin machine is working on that angle already when they finish their current hatchet job on all pilots.

Altimeters
23rd Apr 2014, 08:28
I am now dumber for watching that. What a muppet. :ugh:

Cactusjack
23rd Apr 2014, 08:48
What an absolute tosspot. Thomas is a 'pilot wannabe', and the general public and people like Joyce are allowing him to indulge publicly in his fantasy and obsession. Every time he speaks he gets the facts, details and methodology of aviation wrong. There are many long serving pilots struggling to eek out an existence or progress to larger aircraft who would give their left nut to have a spot in a 777 SIM, and instead this grey haired plonker from WA gets the priveledge! I guess its good if you can get it, but I weep for some of the decent younger kids who would benefit from such a rare session.

What next, perhaps CAsA will fund him an A380 endorsement if he writes nice things about them???

SOPS
23rd Apr 2014, 09:04
Please someone, stop this tosser speculating on things he knows nothing about. For a start GT, it's not Australia's only 777 simulator. Please try and get at least one fact correct.

Cactusjack
23rd Apr 2014, 09:26
In general unless you get aviation info from a trusted insider or a colleague you are better off reading what Phelan or Sandilands has to say. They are normally right on the money, but Thomas........:mad:

gordonfvckingramsay
23rd Apr 2014, 11:09
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the biggest thing GT has actually flown?

SOPS
23rd Apr 2014, 11:12
I dont think he as actually ever flown anything.

psycho joe
23rd Apr 2014, 11:24
Just give it to us straight GT... Was this the fault of the "QANTAS Pilot unions", or not?

joe crazyhorse,
Media Expert, goat herder and part time aviation consultant

Blueskymine
23rd Apr 2014, 12:10
From memory he has a ppl from racwa.

Might have a PIFR rating too.

I still think change.org would be a good place to petition the use of aviation expert as his title for starters.

KABOY
23rd Apr 2014, 12:13
Journalists are getting media mileage whilst the cause of MH370 remains unknown.

I am constantly receiving questions on what I thought happened to MH370...having a little bit of technical expertise is dangerous as people believe in what you think.

Unfortunately a journalist who thinks they have aviation technical expertise is outright lunacy as they refer to no nobody but themselves as an authority.

These people become an author of a fiction novel that people believe is reality, due to limited technical knowledge.

DirectAnywhere
23rd Apr 2014, 12:17
He's got a Chairman's lounge pass, upgrades whenever he wants them and seemingly a big fat juicy stipend that allows him to talk crap about stuff he knows nothing about whenever he chooses. Now, who's the smarter one here boys and girls?

Nassensteins Monster
23rd Apr 2014, 15:03
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the biggest thing GT has actually flown? He's a c0ck-jockey.

He's got a Chairman's lounge pass, upgrades whenever he wants them and seemingly a big fat juicy stipend that allows him to talk crap about stuff he knows nothing about whenever he chooses. Now, who's the smarter one here boys and girls?He's STILL a c0ck-jockey.

Chocks Away
23rd Apr 2014, 15:04
If he had any professional sensibility he/they would delete the video from public access immediately because it's sensationalistic, technically flawed (see earlier comments) and a disgrace.
:E

Anulus Filler
23rd Apr 2014, 15:53
Looks like Joe Average can spot a Rod Walloper when he reads one.

Biggles | The Worst of Perth (http://theworstofperth.com/2014/04/14/biggles/)

rodchucker
23rd Apr 2014, 23:20
Perhaps in the interests of reporting integrity a series of questions should be put to GT to ensure that if any conflicts of interest exist they are declared for all to see. Similar to the issues re infotainment (ie paid commentary) that engulfed Laws and Jones a few years ago where they received paid endorsements which were not declared in publicly expressed views.

There must be some envious hack out there who doesn't have access to the Chairmans Lounge (and you must question why he has it, if in fact he does because he is hardly a titan of industry) who feels the need to expose his alleged credentials for public commentary.

Similarly Qantas should be asked why he has been provided with it if he does have it? Then again I dream on about QF spinmasters who will undoubtedly refuse to answer for commercial in confidence reasons. Plus ask them what other journalists/reporters have it and why.

Maybe we need an aviation ICAC?

Blueskymine
24th Apr 2014, 01:14
Even the way he works the MCP is amateurish. He is ham fisted and aggressive.

An airline pilot works the panel like a musician with their instrument. It's delicate and precise, deliberate and gentle. It's a pleasure to watch.

Brisbane Sinner
24th Apr 2014, 01:32
I'm not sure which is worse - these supposed 'aviation experts', or the media who feed them by continually seeking their wisdom.

JezYBBN
24th Apr 2014, 02:25
1:07am in the morning, is there any other time?

neville_nobody
24th Apr 2014, 04:54
GT's only aviation industry experience is as a baggage handler for MMA in Port Hedland.

That's it.

Rest of his professional career is as a journalist.

Which would explain why he doesn't know what his is talking about. IF he was half smart he would get a 777 rated guy to help him through or talk about what is going on, then you won't have the embarrassing situation that he is now in.

Someone should send this off to Boeing and see what they think. Not sure they would want a 'aviation expert' telling the world that their aircraft doesn't have certain protections when it actually does!

FNQTech
24th Apr 2014, 05:21
Biggest thing GT has flown is his EGO!!

waren9
24th Apr 2014, 05:27
old mate kept ias in the window the whole time. and was in to the bricks at one point. next shot he'd wound it back a bit.

quite what happens in someones brain to think its ok expound all that bollocks i dont know

donpizmeov
24th Apr 2014, 05:31
At least the man is consistant. Pretends to be a pilot, pretends to be an aviation expert just as he pretends to be a journo.

The don

Howard Hughes
24th Apr 2014, 06:36
Finally watched it, what an absolute load of bollocks! :rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
24th Apr 2014, 06:42
Finally watched it, what an absolute load of bollocks! :rolleyes:

halas
24th Apr 2014, 09:59
Reminds me of many an instructor l have had over the years. :bored:

Probably because l am a bit simple :}

halas

Captain Nomad
24th Apr 2014, 11:24
What he should be saying is: "Once the aircraft left radar coverage we don't have enough evidence to know what happened."

Frankly, the whole scenario of running out of fuel and stalling into the ocean is complete speculation with not a shred of evidence yet and is also only one option of many possibilities in reality.

The public find it hard to swallow no answers but if you don't have evidence for what happened it is even more offensive to make up stories...

Wally Mk2
24th Apr 2014, 15:14
Remember guys GT is preaching to the ill-informed (apart from himself)
Mr & Mrs Joe Public believe anything that's on a TV screen!

GT just like the authorities have no idea how why when or where this plane is! Everyone is now guessing & even the Media have dropped it from their headlines, it's stale news now, sad for the families though:-(

Wmk2

Sarcs
24th Apr 2014, 23:00
From Avweb...:D

MH370 Sim Experiments (http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/MH370-Sim-Experiments-221893-1.html)

In Monday’s blog, I dissected the impact of the under-dressed sim instructor CNN used for its round-the-clock MH370 coverage, but what of the simulator itself? Like many, I assumed the simulator, which looked impressive on camera, was the sort of machine used to train and type rate pilots looking to find a 777 seat. Not quite. As described on its web site (http://uflysimulator.ca/), UFly’s B-777 sim is a highly detailed reproduction of the cockpit and systems, but since the 777 is fly-by-wire, how accurate does it replicate the real airplane’s control laws?

Maybe not so much. I mentioned that one of the interesting things CNN did toward the end of its intense coverage was to replicate what the airplane would do if both engines ran to fuel exhaustion. They even flew the airplane briefly on asymmetric thrust, since one engine would inevitably quit before the other. This was an attempt to illuminate what would happen if the airplane ran out of gas somewhere over the Indian Ocean, with pilots dead or incapacitated.

While Boeing has, understandably, tried to suppress speculation about the MH370 disappearance, sim operators—real, level D sims—all over the world have been experimenting with what-ifs in their multi-million dollar motion boxes. I’ve been corresponding via e-mail with a couple of 777 professionals, one of whom is a training captain for a major airline. This week, he sent me a summary of experiments done by one operator and reproduced by others. Bottom line: “You can throw any straight ahead flight path/impact calculations out the window.”

What this is, really, is not so much a test of the airplane, but of the software that runs it. No one was quite certain how the 777’s control laws would degrade and adjust to the loss of engine thrust and, briefly, electric power, with no human intervention. The results are eye opening.
The basic setup involved programming the sim with MH370s fuel, weight and CG conditions and letting it run out of fuel in track hold and altitude capture. Predictably, one engine flamed out before the other and a feature called TAC for thrust asymmetry compensation automatically applied rudder.

The speed decayed from 325 knots indicated to 245 knots. When the second engine failed, TAC returned the rudder trim to zero. Then the fun started. The autopilot dropped out and the flight controls reverted to direct mode. In the 777, Boeing designed three modes, normal, secondary and direct. Direct can be thought of as the modern equivalent of manual reversion; it gives the pilots direct control authority and strips away any envelope protection.

The sim experiment revealed that after autopilot drop out, the speed came back to 230 knots, but the nose slowly pitched down, eventually reaching 340 knots indicated and a descent rate of 7500 FPM. The bank angle got to 25 degrees.

At that point, the airplane’s ram air turbine, an emergency backup generator, automatically deployed and the copilot’s PFD came back, plus other displays. But the aircraft remained in direct control mode. The 777’s EICAS was peppered with alerts, including one that the APU had failed to start, which it would automatically do after the engine failure. But with no fuel, no APU start.

The airplane then essentially entered a stable, evidently non-damping phugoid with a maxium descent rate of 8000 feet and a pitch excursion range of 9 degrees down to 6 degree up and bank angles between 5 and 25 degrees. The speed fluctuated between 220 and 340 knots indicated.
The exercise was terminated at 10,000 feet, but there was no reason to believe the phugoid wouldn’t have continued until surface impact.

Although these findings are largely academic, I found them interesting nonetheless, especially the autopilot drop out. In the CNN sim clip, the airplane simply picked up a wings-level glide, suggesting to me that either the flight dynamics aren’t well modeled or they didn’t allow the experiment to continue long enough. Either way, it’s inconceivable that the impact would have been survivable, if indeed anyone was still alive to survive it.

Whether the type and violence of the impact would have had an effect on surface debris field distribution and thus probability of detection is similarly academic. One theory held that a survivable impact might leave the airplane largely intact and thus less or no surface debris. All we know for sure is that not a trace of the airplane has been found.

And that leads to this disturbing thought. My correspondent has mentioned to me a couple of times of having nightmares about what transpired in that cabin, never mind the cockpit. I’m quite certain he’s not alone and I’m equally certain your imagination is vivid enough to construct a palette of scenarios, so I won’t catalog my own. There’s not much comfort in knowing that we can at least ponder how the airplane might have behaved, but at the moment, with precious little else known, it’s at least something.

Wednesday a.m. addition: CNN shot this background video (http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/offbeat/2014/03/31/erin-pkg-moos-free-martin-savidge.cnn.html) that offers more information on the simulator.

Which kind of matches the Phearless Phelan article..:ok: :A Boeing 777′s last descent (http://proaviation.com.au/2014/04/01/a-boeing-777s-last-descent/)

*Lancer*
24th Apr 2014, 23:27
The 'simulator's' AP remained engaged after loss of the second engine... not a very good recreation. :ugh:

RampDog
25th Apr 2014, 11:35
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2hf4175.jpg

This is the image from the article Annulus Filler was referring to earlier. GT aka Biggles getting his comeuppance!!

Blueskymine
25th Apr 2014, 12:24
Also funny in the Australian aviation magazine is the commentary from "a pilots view". It's taking the piss out of the expert in his own magazine.

Worth coughing up a tenner, even if the expert does have a couple of poorly written articles in the said magazine.

I think the experts opening paragraph about mh370 is absolute gold. Particularly this quote. "Lessons are being learnt". I don't know about you, but we don't even know what happened yet. Maybe the expert is learning a few things. He knows how to turn and push the heading selector and that he can only select 43 on the MCP. (You can disconnect the autopilot and go higher you know). He knows how to put the flight deck door to lock down. He also knows how to deselect acars. His biggest lesson though is he's out of his depth in a toy 777 sim and comes across as confused, aggressive and like a rubber neck trying to make a name for himself off the back of a tragedy.

GT's only aviation industry experience is as a baggage handler for MMA in Port Hedland.

What's the difference between Geoffrey Thomas and a duck?

A duck can fly!

SOPS
25th Apr 2014, 12:38
And in a real 777, at least the one I fly, the door switch won't stay in the deny position. It spring loads back to the centre position. You have to deny ech individual request. GT is a turkey of the first order.

Oh, and you can't deselect the ACARS like he did, at least not with our installed software.

Chocks Away
25th Apr 2014, 13:14
That's what I was saying earlier SOPS, time for them to upgrade their SIM software package me thinks because it certainly doesn't act like the Honeywell AIMS/Fly-by-wire package on the real Tripla!

Blueskymine
28th Apr 2014, 07:22
I can't believe this headline seeker is at it again.

He wrote in his newspaper the hijack code in his tabloid article on the VA Bali flight.

I think someone needs to get in touch with the editor of the west Australian and pull this writer into line.

Yes you can find out what it is if you delve into airway manuals available online, but the average deadbeat wouldn't know where to look. We can't make it too easy for them.

I'm disgusted.

Australopithecus
28th Apr 2014, 07:35
Well, what do you expect? G.T. came to some small fame courtesy of the lazy Australian journalist who does not look past the ruthless self-promoters for colour background commentary. Thomas has cashed in with a kind of almost-informed-commentary-for-cash-or-kind that has allegedly yielded Chairman's Club membership, travel benefits and some notoriety.

It is up to us as an aviation community to vocally and aggressively show his ruminations to be the tripe that they are. Every time he rears his (profoundly boof) head, a well-spoken pilot should offer a counterpoint to each of his arguments.

Hell, a simple challenge to him to disclose any and all QF supplied reward would be enough to render his testimony suspect. Nothing would give me greater pleasure to see Livy's creature thus exposed to the wide ridicule that he so richly deserves.

m-dot
28th Apr 2014, 08:08
Sunrise journalism at it's best!

Be interesting to see what Boeing have to say to him. Buzz on the flight deck is that it's been sent to them.

Pinky the pilot
28th Apr 2014, 11:19
Be interesting to see what Boeing have to say to him

''You will be hearing from our Lawyers" perhaps?