PDA

View Full Version : Marree and Mundi Men

evilducky
22nd Apr 2014, 12:50
Does anyone know if these artworks are still visible from the air? Found quite a bit of info about the fact that they were disappearing and the need to save them couldn't find much more :confused:

Can't spot either of them at the listed coordinates on Google Earth, relatively recent images too.

Ultralights
22nd Apr 2014, 23:33
from what i understand they are pretty much grown over now. recent rains, well, since 2010 have seen to that.

bentleg
23rd Apr 2014, 06:36
I flew over it in 2001 and the image was fading then. I'd be surprised if it was visible now after all the rain. If you really want to know ring Wrights Air at William Creek, they will know.

WAC
23rd Apr 2014, 11:24
Gone.... And green tape prevents restoration.

dubbleyew eight
23rd Apr 2014, 12:21
green tape prevents restoration.

pssst they were never approved in the first place.

so follow the precedent their creators set. sneak out in the night with a grader with ripper tines and a gps and put them back in before anyone notices.
the darkness is your friend....

faaaark stop waiting for someone in australia to approve anything.
nobody in australia ever approves anything. ever.
it has been like that since they banned cracker night. :ugh:

500N
23rd Apr 2014, 15:28
W8
"the darkness is your friend....

faaaark stop waiting for someone in australia to approve anything.
it has been like that since they banned cracker night. :ugh:"

Absolutely :ok:

And if you did go and ask for approval, it would take 5 years and then someone would find some whatsomacallitthingy that is very rare (BS ;)) that then requires a 5 year environmental study to tell you it's not so rare
but you can't do it anyway :rolleyes:

DancingDog
24th Apr 2014, 00:25
Ye olde saying: "if you want sh*t done, seek forgiveness, not permission." :O

Ultralights
24th Apr 2014, 12:23
im at Marree now, you could do it in broad daylight, and still never get caught... cant see very far over the horizon from the few roads around here.

even the Lake Eyre Yacht club has green tape issues, cant launch a boat from the shores apparently.. cant sail on its waters, but if you launch in a river feeding the lake, and sail into it, they cant do anything about it, and being a national park, the legal definition of a national park is " an area of land, to be preserved for recreation." its just that the national parks seam to think it means they own it, and treat it as if it is their personal land and not to be trespassed.

evilducky
24th Apr 2014, 13:17
Thanks for the response guys. And if anyone feels like restoring said artworks before july i'd happily buy them a beer... well slab. actually make that a whole damn pallet.

Ultralights
24th Apr 2014, 13:22
a whole pallet you say? hmmm. :E

500N
24th Apr 2014, 14:33
Ultra
I just looked it up, I see what you mean re access. Not just the National Parks people but Native title holders putting pressure on to stop access.

Funny how if it is "conservation orientated" you can get access easily
by vehicle, boat or aircraft ;)

T28D
25th Apr 2014, 00:32
Glyophosate Wonderful stuff and the effect would last for a really long time as does away with the root system as well as the foliage.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Apr 2014, 05:51
How fares the older 'Readymix' sign engraved into the Earth out by Caiguna?

I saw it last around early '82. It had been there 'a while' then....
:ok:

Neville Nobody
25th Apr 2014, 06:43
dubbleyew eightfaaaark stop waiting for someone in australia to approve anything.
it has been like that since they banned cracker night. :ugh:

You just have to go to the Northern Territory where cracker night is not banned to see why it is everywhere else, letterbox's blown up everywhere, horses running round the streets, dogs going beserk and every year kids presenting at hospital for blast injuries, and that's just in Alice Springs. They really know how to have a good time in the Territory. :8

compressor stall
25th Apr 2014, 08:50
The readymix sign at Caiguna was still just visible about ten years ago. You had to know where to look.

Yes was in Alice for cracker night last year. Sounded like a war zone come dusk. Great fun. Got death stares from the mrs when I went into a shop to buy some fireworks to set off with the kids. They loved it!

onetrack
25th Apr 2014, 10:11
Both firearms and crackers are handy and enjoyable things in the hands of responsible people.
The basic problem is, there aren't enough responsible people - and there's very often little oversight of who has adequate responsibility to possess either item.
Crackers were banned in W.A. when I was a teenager, and that was nearly 50 yrs ago.
We don't miss the sizeable numbers of terrified and burnt dogs, who had crackers tied to their tails for "fun". :suspect:

ButFli
25th Apr 2014, 10:22
Once heard a story from a doctor mate of mine who works in the emergency ward.

Poor girl turned up with burnt private parts because she'd launched a cracker out of her clacka! Wanted to impress a potential new beau.

Not sure I'd be too impressed by a girl with those sort of brains.

compressor stall
25th Apr 2014, 10:40
Might have been more than one.

Definitely happened to a bloke two years ago. Love the cops comment. :D:D

Buttocks burnt as cracker stunt backfires - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-30/man27s-bottom-explodes-as-party-trick-backfires/4163238)

Hydromet
25th Apr 2014, 10:50
"Hold my beer and watch this."

Pinky the pilot
25th Apr 2014, 11:00
'Stupid is as stupid does!':rolleyes:

What is really bad is that these people are capable of both breeding and voting!:eek:

'Readymix' sign engraved into the Earth out by Caiguna?

Don't recall seeing that one Griffo, and I used to cruise around that area occasionally back in the mid 80's. Whereabouts exactly?

25th Apr 2014, 12:00
'Readymix' sign engraved into the Earth out by Caiguna?

Well it was still there in '74.

One only had to be able to navigate by using a WAC. I suppose there is no one left in aviation who can use a WAC for navigation.:ouch:

kingRB
25th Apr 2014, 12:01
Getting back to the original question, I flew over this area a lot a few years ago, and it was virtually invisible when I tried looking for it.

I did end up on a ferry over the exact location with another pilot who knew exactly where it was and only some parts of the original "man" were only just visible. Its all but gone by now unfortunately.

compressor stall
25th Apr 2014, 12:45
Pinky, just west of Caiguna. North of the hwy I think.

Was in the Guinness book of records as the largest sign in the world.

Yep, visible on google maps. Satellite overlay, there's a diamond in the a few miles paddock nw of Caiguna

onetrack
25th Apr 2014, 13:30
I can remember the "Readymix" sign from 1969 and 1970, whilst flying back and forth over the Long Paddock in B707's.

The story behind the Readymix sign and the Readymix diamond logo, actually make a sizeable story. The full story is in the link below.

The diamond in the desert: the story of the giant Readymix logo on the Nullarbor. - Free Online Library (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+diamond+in+the+desert%3A+the+story+of+the+giant+Readymix +logo+on...-a0134292962)

The Readymix company was contracted to carry out quarrying works for hard rock aggregate for ballasting for the Transcontinental Railway - and for the construction, re-alignment and sealing of the Eyre Hwy, from Norseman to the W.A./S.A. border - starting in July 1964.

Shortly after commencing work, the Readymix bosses decided to install a large, highly visible Readymix company logo (a diamond shape with "Readymix" wording in the centre) in the soil just North of the 225 mile marker, almost halfway between Norseman and the W.A. border.

As Readymix regularly used light aircraft for urgent parts supply, and for transport of senior executives who regularly visited work sites, the diamond section of the Readymix logo was claimed by Readymix to be intended primarily as a dual-direction unsealed airstrip for light aircraft.
However, it appears the graded logo area was never registered as an airstrip, nor does it appear it was ever used as such.
It's been suggested the primary aim of the name and logo was just for Readymix advertising purposes.
Readymix did construct several other airstrips along the Eyre Hwy, that were utilised as airstrips.

This logo and the Readymix wording was constructed over a weekend by Allan Hoare, a MRDWA grader driver. Allan peeled back the low vegetation and thin topsoil with the grader moldboard, to expose the bright white underlying limestone rock - thus creating a highly visible aerial landmark.
This work was done, typical of that era, without reference to, or approval of, any Govt authority.

By the late 1960's the logo and wording was becoming degraded as vegetation grew back. The Readymix name and logo was regraded at some time in the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Attempts to regrade the name and logo in the early 1980's, met with fierce opposition by the local Station (Ranch) lessee owner, Hugh MacLachlan - whose station manager, had initially allowed the regrading.
MacLachlan started to become angry about the damage to the Stations already-sparse, semi-desert vegetation by the logo and name - and perhaps some dry seasons brought the problem into sharp focus. 1980 was the driest year on record, since the huge drought of 1899-1902.

Then the Dept of Land and Surveys became involved and requested information from Readymix bosses as to who provided the authority to construct the name and logo.
It appears likely the "airstrip" story was concocted to try and smooth over a Dept that was angry about unauthorised work on land under its control (think BLM in the U.S. :( )

The increase in "environmental responsibility" demands, and the fact that the Marree Man, the Mundi Man, and the Readymix logo were all constructed on land that is easily and rapidly degraded by vegetation removal (it's illegal to use or drive any tracked equipment in undisturbed natural vegetation areas, without Departmental authority in S.A. - and it has been, since the mid-1970's), means that none of these large visible features will ever be reworked again.

Anyone who tried to do so (illegally) today would most certainly go to jail when caught, and the full weight of a police investigation would fall upon them.
The constructions were all illegally carried out - but the enforcement of the laws of the day were much more lax than it is today, and the constructions were not regarded as being destructive, back then - as they are today.

26th Apr 2014, 08:01
Readymix sign
32 13.0 S 125 21.30 E

onetrack
26th Apr 2014, 09:04
Here's a 2006 SMH article about the Readymix logo ...

Giant Nullarbor logo zooms back into focus - web - Technology - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/12/13/1165685690455.html)

dubbleyew eight
27th Apr 2014, 13:35
this green bollocks is amazing.
if you get a hema map of australia and look on the transcontinental line between kalgoorlie and the border there are 15 little sidings marked.
people have come close to death driving the railway line access way to visit these small "towns".
none of them exist.
I think zanthus, rawlinna, loongana and forrest still exist.
forrest is the airfield at the old met station. loongana is a closed lime mine.
all the rest of the sites have been levelled, obliterated, rehabilitated by the greenies.

you know that if they were in australia, the images on the nazca plains would have been rehabilitated by the greenies. :-)

onetrack
27th Apr 2014, 14:36
Dubbleyew - I'm no greenie, but one has to remember that most of Australia's vegetation has been irretrievably altered and damaged by white inhabitants over more than 200 yrs.

In the 1960's, it was W.A. Govt policy to ensure that more than a million acres of native vegetation was cleared every year.
I was part of that wholesale clearing rampage, and our family owned a whole lot of bulldozers. Yes, a lot of farmland was developed - but way too much was cleared and salt encroachment utterly ravaged vast swathes of the W.A. wheatbelt, because of excessive clearing, and poor understanding of the mechanics of the original environment.

Much of the semi-desert interior of Australia is particularly fragile, with annual average rainfall in the 200-250mm range. That "average" might mean, say, 5 or 8 lots of rain over 3 to 5 years, and huge gaps in between, of anywhere between 6 to 36 mths between those rains.

As a result, wiping out the sparse vegetation can often result in a rapid increase in erosion by wind - and then worse erosion by water when it does rain heavily.

I've seen sizeable native trees in the W.A. goldfields (8-10M high Blackbutts) hanging so close to survival, that sweeping up the fallen leaves around the base of the tree, has killed the tree. The leaf ground cover was all that was keeping the tree going, by preventing moisture loss from dew, and by preventing the suns heat from striking the soil directly.

I don't have a problem with efforts to preserve our sparse vegetation, and to plant more trees, and to protect what little vegetation we have left.
We have literally hundreds of thousands of trail bikers and 4WD-ers who are all happy to beat the crap out of the country with their multitude of spinning wheels and general carelessness when it comes to protecting the fragile environment of the interior - and they all whine about how everyone else is damaging and degrading the countryside - while they refuse to recognise the damage they cause themselves.

The "white invaders" really are the rabbits of the human world - and I look back now, with the beauty of 20-20 vision in hindsight and understand how we could have done things so much better in the '60's and '70's, with a whole lot more foresight and planning - and restrictions.
The greenies are our conscience against rampant, unfettered, money-hungry development - and without them, the whole of Australia would just be one huge, bare dustbowl, by now.

Yes, Govt red and green tape and associated BS, has gone overboard in some areas - but we do need restrictions and serious consideration of projected works and developments - otherwise the place would become unliveable.

(P.S. - If people did their proper research before setting out, they'd quickly learn it's an offence to drive along the Trans-line access road - except for the 375km section between Kalgoorlie and Rawlinna, which is where the Loongana Lime mine is located. You can use the access road in an emergency, but you'd better have a good story).

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/4446/Trans_Railway_Line_access_road.aspx