PDA

View Full Version : Another Windows (8) upgrade problem

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Apr 2014, 09:03
Have a machine which upgraded overnight (I know - I thought I had told it not to !!) and now won't open any websites with IE.

Have tried on both broadband connections - same result (so obviously not a provider problem - and other machines on network working fine).

Will open an intranet site no problem (hosted locally) so no DNS interpretation - which I assume is the problem.

Any suggestions ?

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Apr 2014, 09:33
Now I'm confused - doesn't seem to work when entering an IP address either !!

Guest 112233
22nd Apr 2014, 09:35
OK. Confirm your P C has successfully updated the microsoft patch. Go to Control Pannel etc and check that the update has been succesfully installed my (borrowed) Win 8.1 PC failed to install a KB.. last friday and I only successfully installed the update on Sunday.

The next port of call, your Router can you let the PPruNe illumni know the details please and any relevent info... e.g Firewall Status/Type and any unique settings etc - Are you running Norton ?

NB BT are progressively updating their firmware on their Home Hub routers to counteract a potential internal net i.e. within your home network, vunerability, re the heart bleed open SSL exploit.

Try re setting the router by switching off leaving for a minute or too and then switching it back on and leaving it to re-establish your connection.

Try another browser. Are other P.C's/phones OK on the network. [Edit: Ignore I mssed you comments.]

Is your PC Wi-FI still working - try the usual windoze checks on your hardware. Does it have a thumb switch to disable the Wi-fi (Dell Vostro ??? ) -If you can see your intranet Wi-fi is OK -Re the IP addressing - This could be a hardware problem or DNS. If the domain is local: will DNS be needed, the internal IP address packets will be routed directly ? I think.

I was wrong re DNS See Here:http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/making-a-local-intranet-iis-dns/

Whoops

Lots of possibles..... [Edit: I missed your 2nd post - try a direct eithernet connection via a cable to your router]

CAT III

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Apr 2014, 10:21
OK. Confirm your P C has successfully updated the microsoft patch. Go to Control Pannel etc and check that the update has been succesfully installed my (borrowed) Win 8.1 PC failed to install a KB.. last friday and I only successfully installed the update on Sunday.

Checked - shows fine

The next port of call, your Router can you let the PPRuNe illumni know the details please and any relevent info... e.g Firewall Status/Type and any unique settings etc - Are you running Norton ?

Error on the Virgin Cable router (rebranded NETGEAR - not sure of model number) and the Talk-Talk D-Link SSL-2780.

Yes running Norton - Norton firewall active but can't see any settings taht would cause this

NB BT are progressively updating their firmware on their Home Hub routers to counteract a potential internal net i.e. within your home network, vunerability, re the heart bleed open SSL exploit.

N/A I asume

Try re setting the router by switching off leaving for a minute or too and then switching it back on and leaving it to re-establish your connection.

Done - both routers (twice each)

Try another browser. Are other P.C's/phones OK on the network. [Edit: Ignore I mssed you comments.]

Can't get another browser downloaded until I can get on internet to download (hence I discovered that IP address didn't work either when trying to obtain Chrome)

Is your PC Wi-FI still working - try the usual windoze checks on your hardware. Does it have a thumb switch to disable the Wi-fi (Dell Vostro ??? )

Yes accessing the other machines and shared network storage device (with intranet) wirelessly

Lots of possibles.....

CAT III

Keef
22nd Apr 2014, 10:41
Download Chrome or Firefox onto another machine on the network, then copy it across on the internal network to the offending PC.

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Apr 2014, 11:02
Been trying that but can't get it to just download and save the .exe to a shared location - charges ahead and installs on the machine downloading.

Just off to try and put it on another machine that the sick item has full access to.

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2014, 12:08
I had an issue with the same stuff.

You need to go into your network settings by right clicking on the network and then network and sharing center

Then change adapter settings

Right click on your network adapter and properties.

Then go to IP4 and properties.

You might find that the DNS is set to a starting 10 address. You need to then set it to automatically aquire DNS.

Then it should work ok.

When ever you install certain update patches you have to go back in and reset it.

The only way to stop it resetting it seems to be by editing the resolv.conf but even then sometimes it gets taken out.

LookingForAJob
22nd Apr 2014, 12:26
Been trying that but can't get it to just download and save the .exe to a shared location - charges ahead and installs on the machine downloading.

Try one of these - offline Chrome installers (https://support.google.com/installer/answer/126299?hl=en-GB).

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2014, 12:41
changing your browser isn't going to fix anything.

It is a routing issue to get to the DNS server which they seem to want you to use.

No doubt to track what you looking at.

Once you get the DNS from the DHCP or put in your one of choice it all works again fine.

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Apr 2014, 14:04
All sorted ......

Did the checks as suggested by Mr Jock but all options showing assign automatically.

Used 'Looking for a job's' link to get the Chrome install onto a USB stick.

Installed Chrome and it worked straight off !!! AND ....

Internet Explorer took fright at being replaced as choice of browser and immediately starting working again.

I can't say that I know what is was / what I actually did but a RESULT. Our Researcher lady (whose machine it was) looking slightly less grumpy and I can get back to the day job.

Thanks for all the input ...........

terrain safe
22nd Apr 2014, 20:34
Hey I'm trying to install the kb2919355 update. Even downloaded the stand alone file. Won't install at all. Oh well guess I won't bother with that one then.

le Pingouin
23rd Apr 2014, 01:17
If you don't "bother with that one" you won't be able to bother with another one again whether you want to or not. MS has said install it or no more patches for you!

Guest 112233
23rd Apr 2014, 11:32
When you say that kb2919355 update will not install at all, do you get an error message. Re another part of the fourm. We will be forced to update Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Update (8.2 a better name) what ever that entails, by May 13 2014. Without kb2919355 you may be scuppered re the update.

Possibly start a new thread because many may be affected.

And give some indication of any error Msg you get. With all the usual Op system details Anti vir in use etc.

The Thresd needs a stickey to inform posters, to "post" their specs on initial post of probs if possible.

CAT III