PDA

View Full Version : Summary Justice.

OldCessna
21st Apr 2014, 21:05
Shot several times is quite telling. No point in half doing the job!

Well done!

US marshal shoots defendant in federal court
April 21, 2014 2:37 PM EST

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) A U.S. marshal shot and critically wounded a defendant on Monday in a new federal courthouse in Salt Lake City after the man rushed at a witness with a pen, authorities said.

Defendant Siale Angilau, 25, was hospitalized with at least one chest wound, FBI spokesman Mark Dressen said. Under standard procedures, Angilau was not restrained in the courtroom, the FBI said.

Perry Caldwell, who was in the courtroom with his adult daughter, said Angilau was shot several times as he lunged toward the witness stand and tried to strike the witness.

At least six shots were fired, he said.

The witness, who was not injured, appeared to be in his mid-20s and was testifying about gang initiation, Caldwell said. The person was not identified.

Caldwell and his daughter were in court to support his mother, Sandra Keyser, who was punched in the face during a holdup in 2002 and was scheduled to testify.

"It was kind of traumatizing," Sara Jacobson, Caldwell's daughter, said of the shooting.

Angilau was one of 17 people named in a 29-count racketeering indictment filed in 2010 accusing gang members of conspiracy, assault, robbery and weapons offenses.

Prosecutors said Angilau robbed convenience stores in Salt Lake City and assaulted clerks on five occasions from 2002 to 2007. A clerk was shot in the final robbery, according to the indictment.

Angilau was accused of assault on a federal officer with a weapon and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence on Aug. 11, 2007.

Angilau was the last defendant in the case to stand trial, U.S. attorney's office spokeswoman Melodie Rydalch said.

A mistrial was declared after the shooting by U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell. The order said members of the jury were visibly shaken and upset.

Angilau's attorney, Michael Langford, declined to take questions as he left the courthouse. He said he was concerned about Angilau's well-being and didn't know his condition.

Angilau was in Utah state prison from September 2007 until he was handed over to U.S. marshals on Friday, said Utah Department of Corrections spokeswoman Brooke Adams.

He was arrested in August 2007 for a probation violation and pleaded guilty a year later to obstruction of justice and failure to respond to a command of a police officer, court records show.

His trial in the robbery case was among the first at the new $185 million federal courthouse opened just one week ago in downtown Salt Lake City next door to a century-old federal courthouse. The towering building is designed to withstand blasts and also contains bulletproof glass in some areas.

The security measures include separate routes in and out for judges, prisoners and the public. In the old courthouse, they all used the same hallways.

The courthouse was temporarily closed after the shooting and later reopened.

pigboat
21st Apr 2014, 21:08
The pen may be mightier than the sword but it is no match for a Glock.

500N
21st Apr 2014, 21:12
Pulling and using a gun in a crowded court room at a moving target that is moving towards non combatants (so to speak) is fraught with danger so they did well.

Serves him right.

Is it just me or is the way that article is written is a bit confusing ?

OldCessna
21st Apr 2014, 22:46
The assailant and defendant is no more!

Oh dear, what a shame!

500N
21st Apr 2014, 22:50
Saw this in the LA Times when looking up the post above :O

“Angilau apparently rushed and attacked a cooperating witness and was shot several times by law enforcement in front of the court and the Jury,” the judge wrote. After the shooting, a group of marshals continued to hold Angilau at gunpoint near the jury box.
“The court has met with the jury and observed that most of the jury members are visibly shaken and upset by this episode,” the judge wrote, adding, “The court finds that this occurrence in the courtroom would so prejudice Mr. Angilau as to deprive him of a fair trial. The court hereby declares a mistrial.”

Gang case defendant shot in Salt Lake City courthouse dies - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-shooting-federal-courthouse-salt-lake-city-20140421,0,4914640.story#ixzz2zYmX5S00)"

Lonewolf_50
21st Apr 2014, 22:51
He gets to heal up in jail, and get tried again.

I suspect his antics in court will not allow him to be released on any sort of bond. Well, I hope that is the case.

EDIT: Oops, looks like I missed reading the link where he went from critical injury to dead after being shot.

All in all, I'd say he got what he deserved.

500N
21st Apr 2014, 22:52
Lonewolf

He's dead.

His sentence was permanent !

con-pilot
21st Apr 2014, 23:27
Back when I was with the Marshal Service, when guarding a courtroom, the sidearm had to be holstered, no round in the chamber and the safety on.

So I'd say that the Deputy Marshal did a hell of a job getting his sidearm out, putting a round up the spout, releasing the safety and still shooting the criminal before he could kill the witness.

But, he did fire six shots, one too many. I was taught three to the body and two to the head.

Then again, maybe he needed that sixth shot.

500N
21st Apr 2014, 23:31
I somehow don't think he hit him with all 6 shots and not to the head.

But as you say, he did a damn good job.

racedo
22nd Apr 2014, 00:35
Not commenting on the death as clearly he was a Darwin nominee.

However I do have a problem with someone being 7 years in Jail on remand If I read it right.

Boudreaux Bob
22nd Apr 2014, 00:47
With an arrest in the past for shooting at a Federal Officer....I wonder why he was alive to face charges. Times certainly have changed.:(

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 00:53
Racedo

"However I do have a problem with someone being 7 years in Jail on remand If I read it right."

It was the last case to be tried as part of the Gang RICO case that has taken years - it says how long in the article I posted above. Some of the other gang members have already been convicted and jailed.

No way was he going to be let out while the whole saga played out.

Worth reading the article above.

Prazum
22nd Apr 2014, 01:27
Seriously, I find this rather bewildering. If you have a gun in your normal days duties, is there not a requirement, that you are not capable of shooting (with effect) said gun ?

I've seen many many shootings, where USA officers of the law, seem to miss albeit no more than 3 metres away. Then launch the entire clip into never never land whilst the perp(their speak) manages to get away.

6 shots in this case !! In a room full of people. Where the F are they aiming ?

If you carry, learn how to use, learn it everyday of your life, it's a skill, use it or loose it. Your life and others may depend on it.

OldCessna
22nd Apr 2014, 02:45
Ahem!

If said perp is moving towards the victim and poised to stab him who knows where, then it aint too easy to get the shots where they needs to be!

Think of a pissed off water buffalo coming at you full force. How many times would you pull the trigger?

Courtroom marshals are mostly are equipped with Glocks. One up the spout plus 12.

They are trained to shoot until he goes down.

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 02:48
"Think of a pissed off water buffalo coming at you full force. How many times would you pull the trigger? "

Once, maybe twice at most.

alisoncc
22nd Apr 2014, 03:13
"Think of a pissed off water buffalo coming at you full force. How many times would you pull the trigger? "Don't you people watch the movies? Why waste bullets. Crocodile Dundee showed you how - just point two fingers at it and stare without blinking.

500N once did a demonstration of the technique. Got pictures of him in his wheelchair with various limbs in plaster casts and bandaged up afterwards.

:ok:

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 03:17
Alison

LOL :O

8 yards is the closest I have got to being like that !

I'll add a joke later.

Dushan
22nd Apr 2014, 04:04
Seriously, I find this rather bewildering. If you have a gun in your normal days duties, is there not a requirement, that you are not capable of shooting (with effect) said gun ?

Prazum, ever shot a handgun? Pumped up with andrenelin? In a room full of people you don't want to hit?

I only shoot at targets and can tell you it is not nearly as easy as in the movies. Add andrenelin, fear, crowd, noise and it is a minor miracle the guy got hit at all.

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 04:12
By the time that second shot went off, it would have been bedlam in that court with everyone screaming and ducking.

llondel
22nd Apr 2014, 05:08
I've seen many many shootings, where USA officers of the law, seem to miss albeit no more than 3 metres away. Then launch the entire clip into never never land whilst the perp(their speak) manages to get away.

Well, now you know where George Lucas got the model for his stormtroopers in Star Wars.

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Apr 2014, 07:24
...8 yards is the closest I have got to being like that !...

I assume the buffalo stopped and stood there blinking in shock from the smell emanating from your trousers.:ooh:

OldCessna
22nd Apr 2014, 16:15
Actually I was with a colleague who unloaded 6 rounds at it with a S&W 38. I could see the shots hitting, blood spurts, snot etc and it kept on coming.
Albeit more pissed off than it was earlier.

I felled it with a Viking 10 gauge. 2 solid slugs!

Bit easier when it's coming towards you. Can't imagine the courtroom scenario with the desperado going for the witness across the courtroom. Lots of innocent bystanders in the way.

They should have had his legs shackled methinks

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 16:18
Shackled to the table.

They do tend to get a bit pissed when you hit them,
hence I try for one shot to the CNS !

racedo
22nd Apr 2014, 17:32
500N once did a demonstration of the technique. Got pictures of him in his wheelchair with various limbs in plaster casts and bandaged up afterwards.

Was he the Water Buffalo or the one trying the idea with the Water Buffallo, you not clear in your post :)