PDA

View Full Version : Flashy memory thinggies...

airship
21st Apr 2014, 13:43
(Men In Black (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119654/) currently on French TV in the background as I write, and obviously where the thread title comes from...)

Often, whilst driving along one of my regularly-travelled routes (using say A to Z for reference here), I find myself suddenly "waking-up" at say stage "M" or "Y" and having absolutely "no recollection" of actually passing the interim stages and how I got there...?! :confused:

I've always simply assumed that as the trajectory is so well-known to me and "stored", this allows my unused brain capacity to wander (or wonder) and think about other matters instead of paying 100% attention? I dislike listening to the radio or music whilst driving if that's useful...

Certainly, when I think very hard about most regularly-travelled routes, I can virtually reconstruct "in my mind" I think pretty much 100% of every portion (of that particular route), every twist and turn, pothole, roundabout, traffic-light, dangererous inter-section, where to slow down etc.

Having said all that, I do find it almost impossible "to recall" or "virtually reconstruct" similarly well and regularly-travelled routes from even 10 years ago. Which means that I'd definitely need a road-map if (or when) I ever drive in the UK again after an absence of over 24 years.

Unless that is, some "man in black" or someone else uses one of those flashy memory thinggies on me quite regularly... :(

rgbrock1
21st Apr 2014, 14:22
airship wrote:

I find myself suddenly "waking-up" at say stage "M" or "Y" and having absolutely "no recollection" of actually passing the interim stages and how I got there

Drinking will do that to you over a period of time, airship. I recommend healthy doses of Vitamins B-6 and B-12 to help alleviate these early signs of dementia. :}

Lightning Mate
21st Apr 2014, 14:23
Wot on Earth are you tawkin abaht ?

rgbrock1
21st Apr 2014, 14:46
Lightning Mate:

Don't ask. You don't want to know. :}

Cacophonix
21st Apr 2014, 14:49
Airship you are Philip K Dick or I am not Caco...!

And no that wasn't meant to be an insult...! ;)

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pdf-library/Dick_Wholesale.pdf

Caco

tony draper
21st Apr 2014, 15:10
Things can only get worse for you.:uhoh:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/10257993_650582048344581_6472524896941876530_n_zps0613ea02.j pg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/10257993_650582048344581_6472524896941876530_n_zps0613ea02.j pg.html)

Tankertrashnav
21st Apr 2014, 15:11
I am a regular Radio 4 listener and frequently listen to a talk programme, or play, when I am driving. I find that if I listen to a repeat of the transmission later in the week I can recall pretty well exactly where I was on the journey at any point in the programme. Obviously there are two "recordings" going on, one a visual from the outside, and a soundtrack from the radio.

I assume I'm not unusual in this.

Cacophonix
21st Apr 2014, 15:14
Mr Draper is that Noordhoek beach that the 3 old codgers are walking along?

Caco

500N
21st Apr 2014, 15:16
I should show that photo to my GF who is strongly suggesting I get a hearing aid !!!

Capetonian
21st Apr 2014, 15:22
is that Noordhoek beach that the 3 old codgers are walking along?Not so much of the old, asseblief, one of those three 'old codgers' is me in about 10 years time!

rgbrock1
21st Apr 2014, 15:30
500N

I should show that photo to my GF who is strongly suggesting I get a hearing aid !!!

Is that selective hearing, 500N, or a true hearing loss? If it's selective hearing I can give you a few tips! :}

500N
21st Apr 2014, 15:31
Actual hearing loss, but I also have selective hearing when required ;) :O

Having watched my father for years, it is an art in my family !!! LOL :O

Cacophonix
21st Apr 2014, 15:32
Not so much of the old, asseblief

Drop by and have a beer with me on the deck at the Red Herring then. By then I probably won't be able to remember my name but so what...;)

Caco

OFSO
21st Apr 2014, 15:39
A secondary question: is it safer to drive a very well-known route "on autopilot" (or for Monsieur Airship, "en autopilote") or consciously ?

And a derivative of this question, is it safer to drive "taking it easy" or flat out, concentrating on going as fast as is safe ?

Personally I found it much safer back in Germany where I would come out of the 'kneipe', two sheets to the wind, climb on board my faithful horse tethered outside, and fall asleep as he wandered gently home across the fields to Jugenheim, to awaken once the swaying motion of his ambling gait had stopped outside my front door where my staff would lift me off the horse and administer a good rubbing-down with wisps of straw, and then put me to bed.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
21st Apr 2014, 15:40
Airship - The phenomenon you describe is well known in psychology. There is some evidence that this is common in accident victims (the ones who survive); the issue being that they see what you expect to see, and get caught out by an unusual occurrence. The recommended technique for combating this is to make a point of looking for things at periodic intervals (every 5 minutes or so), e.g. how many cars parked outside Restaurant X. This should help you drive 'conscious',and thus avoid becoming a statistic.
It can happen at any age -it's not a dementia thing. It's more likely to happen if the situation appears initially benign, one is tired, or one has something else to worry about.

tony draper
21st Apr 2014, 15:40
I don't think so Mr C they are all speaking English.:rolleyes:

ExSp33db1rd
21st Apr 2014, 22:31
Yesterday forgot it was our wedding anniversary - what category does that put me in ?

(answers on a postcard)

Anyone got a spare bedroom ?

ricardian
21st Apr 2014, 22:44
Once I forgot my wife's birthday. Only once though!! Never, ever again will I forget

OFSO
22nd Apr 2014, 09:39
what category does that put me in ?

A & E ?