PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR/ME Prep

jamie2004
21st Apr 2014, 12:26
Hello all,

I am a modular student and have recently completed the EASA ATPL theory exams.

If all goes to plan I will be enrolling with a flight school within the next few months in order to do my CPL/ME/IR. Can anyone recommend any useful reading material that will be of use to me in preparation for the course? I intend to do the flying in the UK.

Any further advice is greatly appreciated.

Watt001
21st Apr 2014, 13:13
Hello, after completing ATPL exams, you should know the theory backwards and forwards for both IR and ME :)
But I have some good materials if you want, which I can provide. One is by Jeppesen and one is IFR for profi pilots. You can send me your e-mail.

sapperkenno
21st Apr 2014, 13:13
It would be nice to think that having passed 14 written tests supposedly containing ATPL level theoretical knowledge, that you should already know most things about operating in a
Commercial, IFR environment...

Is that not the case?

jamie2004
21st Apr 2014, 13:59
Thank Sapper for your constructive comments...a great help.

Yes the 14 exams have without a doubt given me a great background and understanding in what is to come, however I was wondering if there are any books geared towards the practical side of the flying instead of reading about polar stereographic charts and dry adiabatic lapse rates.

Watt...I shall PM you my email

Watt001
21st Apr 2014, 14:44
Watt...I shall PM you my email

OK, I wait :)

RTN11
21st Apr 2014, 14:53
I found Instrument Flying by David Hoy to be quite useful.

Cut this guy some slack here people, the ATPLs contain so much information, I never dipped into my ATPL manuals if I just wanted a quick reminder of the different hold entries, or how to fill out a flight plan properly, it was quick reference books which helped on the actual course.

sapperkenno
21st Apr 2014, 15:19
I'm having a pop at the syllabus for the ATPLs, not you... So relax. I did my professional qualifications in the US under the FAA rules/regs, and am now converting to EASA, hence my disdain for the idea of sitting 14 exams when I can already do the flying stuff perfectly fine...
It's the amount of crap I seemingly have to learn by rote to pass the exams that winds me up, so as you've just passed them all, but still don't feel you know "enough" to pass the flying side of things, I think that highlights just how pointless a lot of the subject matter is!
All the best.

Darren999
21st Apr 2014, 15:29
Sapp-
I find myself in the same vessel as yourself, coming back to the UK to give the EASA exams a try.. I share your sentiments!