PDA

View Full Version : FAA BFRs and ICCs

Quelch
18th Nov 2001, 22:56
Does anybody ever have difficulty in getting an FAA BFR or ICC done in the UK?

englishal
18th Nov 2001, 23:24
I did hear that there is a place opening in Bournemouth early next year that will be offering stuff like the ICC...

3db
19th Nov 2001, 02:03
I understand PFT at Oxford airport will do them, as will a flight school at Humberside. I go to Oxford to stay current on IR work.

DownIn3Green
19th Nov 2001, 06:45
Quelch,

I answered your post in the Questions forum...why do you post it in 2 places?

slim_slag
19th Nov 2001, 08:20
DownIn3Green is very decent to tell Quelch to stay in the UK to pass his tests, even though it's probably easier (and cheaper) to do them in Florida.

But it's quite permissable to do your FAA recurrent currency tests in the UK, I have not yet found the FAR which says a BFR has to be performed in a US registered plane in US airspace.

All Quelch needs to do is find a current CFI or CFII in the UK, and probably provide a plane. If you can find an American CFI in the UK who is desparate to fly - as most would be, I bet you could pay him in beer.

Quelch should either check out the pilot database at www.landings.com, (http://www.landings.com,) or contact somebody like [email protected]. I don't know this guy from Adam but I've seen this name on the newsgroups, he is currently in Oxford. He writes software for pilots, check out his company web site at www.dauntless-soft.com (http://www.dauntless-soft.com)

There are literally hundreds of FAA CFIs who live in the UK, good luck....

englishal
19th Nov 2001, 08:28
you can also do your FAA ICC in an FAA approved flight training device (ast-300) as can your 6 approaches and tracking of VORs etc, as long as theres a CFII around. Nothing in the FARs prohibit carrying out these currency requirements outside of the US / N reg aircraft.

By this route your ICC would cost ****** all, assuming you can find someone with an AST300 in the UK.

DownIn3Green
19th Nov 2001, 08:36
Slim,

My point exactly...any a/c (reg wise) will do, just need an FAA CFI. CFI's are paid precious little and deserve much more, no matter where they are licensed, so my point is I won't take $$$$ from anyone making their living or livelyhood via this noble profession. However, if all else fails, if I'm around (most likely not, but in the UK I'm either in Harpenden (Luton) or The Swan in Thaxted (Stansted)), drop me an e-mail and I'll try to help.

Good luck to all....

A7E Driver
19th Nov 2001, 13:06
Someone already mentioned Oxford and Humberside. I know you can also do it at Bournemouth, and Gloucester. I know a couple places in France where they have FAA CFIs as well if that will help you.