PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise when flaps go in on 757

JohnnyRocket
20th Apr 2014, 16:00
So we were just leaving Mexico City on a Delta 757... soon after takeoff the flaps were brought in and they made the usual whirring sound... but then that sound continued through the rest of the flight.

It sounded to me as though the mechanism was still trying to bring the flaps in (even though the manouvre had completed).

What was also strange was that the pitch of the sounds also seemed to alter with each gust of wind that would be heard as we were taking off.

Is this anything to be concerned about? Should I have told the cabin crew? Or is this totally normal?

I would have thought that after the flaps be brought in, that the sound would have ceased.

It only stopped when the flaps were extended for landing!

grounded27
21st Apr 2014, 08:03
Any other abnormalities? Left arm rest lower than the right? A buzz in the audio? Could the flight attendant not converse completely to your expectations? Please give us more details as to why this discovered abnormality had disturbed you.

fa2fi
21st Apr 2014, 08:34
To be honest of you have any concerns about any aspect of safety on a flight then you should raise it immediately with a flight attendant. When I was FA a good few people asked questions or point things out. If it was normal I'd explain what it was to them and if it wasn't normal then it would be passed on to the flight deck immediately. But we all need to play a part in safety, sometimes e crew may miss something or may not be aware of something.

I've not flown the 757 so can't help explain what the noise was.

easyflyer83
21st Apr 2014, 09:23
Like the previous poster said you should have just asked a crew member, just to put your mind at rest if anything. If it was abnormal the cabin crew will have no doubt heard it (they can pick up on strange noises really easily as it's their second home) and will likely have raised it with the flight crew.